WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: CDT in May

Default CDT in May

What approximate area are most NOBO CDT thru hikers in around the 1st week of May? Me and the family are taking a 2 week vacation to New Mexico, Utah and Colorado this May. Was thinking if it could work out right I would like to maybe do a little trail magic (water, snacks ,and fruit, maybe burgers and dogs.) Thanks.

I started my thru on April 26th. Most folks will be likely be between the border and Silver City the first week of May.

Straight CDT NOBOers are typically in mid to northern NM. It's not like the AT or even PCT though. Start too early and the NM state line into CO can be a road walk or lesser elevation less scenic affair. There're plenty of days north of NM to make up a later start. It's what most thrus do anyhow - work their way into their LD backpacking form. It can all avg out nicely over 4 -6 months. One doesn't need to do the same mileage and go the same pace every day from start to finish. Being at the first state line around May 1 is going to be met with snow in CO...and all that usually involves - jumping around, skipping, road walks, snowshoes. Maybe that's what CDTers are currently trending towards.

Although CDT thru numbers are rising as far as trail magic the numbers are minimal compared to the AT. Most CDT thrus are more advanced hikers so are more independent self reliant so less embracing or in need of trail magic. IMHO they make their own trail magic. In short you might not get the amount of flow as might be assumed. I'd say do trail magic somewhere around Silver City but thrus are either going in or just leaving so why offer more "magic" in an area around a town.

I am starting around the 18th of April and conservative estimates puts me going into Pie Town about 7 May if that helps.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    I am starting around the 18th of April and conservative estimates puts me going into Pie Town about 7 May if that helps.
    That would probably fit well. Our schedule as of now is to leave the Whitesands area on May 6th heading in the direction of Moab. Maybe we will see you around there and have a cold beer or something for you.

There's a kick off shindig in Silver City, NM about that time. Google knows the dates.
    Your "Trail Magic" might be redundant. Or you could join the festivities in Silver City.
    Or you might figure out where a dry section is and show up with lots of water.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Hi! Thanks for thinking of the CDT class of 2019!

CDT Trail days will be last week of April this year (April 26-28).
    I plan on attending the kickoff and continuing my thruhike northbound through New Mexico.

Say hi if you see me out there!!!
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

++ New Posts ++