WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Neuropathy

Lion's mane mushrooms regrow myelin on nerve axons and are being studied now for repairing nerve damage and neuropathy. There are lots of companies selling supplements of it now, and you can find it fresh in many grocery stores.

Niacin helps to increase blood flow to help get the lions mane to the extremities. A multi b-vitamin high in niacin would be ideal

High doses of CBD can help reduce inflammation and some say it helps with pain

Massage, chiropractic, and extensive stretching of the area around the pain could help

My appointment with a pain managment physician is in 2 weeks . Wish me luck .

Quote Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
    My appointment with a pain managment physician is in 2 weeks . Wish me luck .
    Best of luck. Chronic pain is a multi-facade condition and a good pain management doctor is worth his weight in gold.

2.17% and counting
    Images

My wife has had bilateral neuropathy in her arms/wrists starting in her 20's. We tried multiple surgeries and many medications (including heavy doses of gabapentin), but the thing that has helped them most were nerve block treatments that were administered by an anesthesiologist at a pain management clinic. She still has to manage her activity to not exacerbate the problem, but has been able to go off of all the meds for years now.

I wish you the best in your journey. Try not to be too discouraged by the docs who can't help, just keep looking for the one that has the right incite into your situation.

Images

do the mushrooms work with diabetics. I am a type 2 and my neuropathy drives me nuts. BTW...my sugar is very well maintained and has been for several years since i was diagnosed. 5.1 A1C
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

FWIW: I have neuropathy in my feet, mostly numbness, not so much pain. My B12 levels are within normal, but on the lower side of normal. At my doctor's suggestions, I started taking B12 supplements and within days I noticed a notable improvement in the numbness of my feet. Sadly, the notable bit of improvement is all I got. If I stop taking B12, I immediately start getting more numb feet. If I take more than my regular daily dose, there is no further decrease in numbness. It is apparently likely that the long-term damage is permanent, but we have stopped the progression and improved things slightly with daily B12 supplements.

Good luck. I'd sure love a medication or supplement that would help improve my neuropathy, but, at this point, it looks like halting its progression it all we can do.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

About 21 years ago, I slipped and fell on some ice in a parking lot while getting out of my truck and blew out my L5-S1 disk. My whole left side from the waist down went numb pretty quickly. I was at the dentist for a filling and it felt like the Novocaine went to my leg as well. I had surgery 2 days later which corrected most of it, but my foot is still somewhat numb. I do seem to stumble and trip on things and turn my ankle pretty often, so when hiking with a pack, I use trekking poles.

I tried both Lyrica and Gabapentin after a botched sinus surgery that left me with chronic pain for about 3 years, didn't like either one. I suppose I could complain about my numbness, but I'm really thankful that it's not painful. Best of luck to you. I really hope you can find some relief.
    Last edited by bighammer; 04-28-2019 at 13:29.

Just an update on my pain management . I received my first series of pain blocking shots 2 weeks ago . I go in for my second series the first week in August . I'm keeping optimistic as to the total results . The firsts series brought the pain level in my legs to zero and my feet from pain level 9/10 to 2 . My feet are still at 2 to 5 and my knees are at 8 . I'll keep you all posted . Hopefully I can at least hike the AT in sections .

So glad you are getting some relief. Knee pain may have different cause (osteoarthritis?) than leg and foot pain. Keep doing what works for you. Try to maximize nutrition, possible supplements in addition to your modern medical care. Hope to see you out there soon ��

5.1 is amazing... congrats

I would second the thought that a naturopath or chiropractor or acupuncturist might help. They know a lot about treating pain by means besides prescriptions. They might first examine your nutrition, lifestyle, and exercise habits. These are critical, but invariably ignored by most PCPs. You problem may be a vitamin/mineral deficiency, or side effects from prescriptions like statins. You need a whole blood panel workup done ASAP, especially if you eat SAD. (Standard American diet; flaccid processed foods).

Modern medicine is wonderful for acute injuries, but sorely lacking for chronic conditions IMO. Look elsewhere.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++