WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Congratulations! I hope to be joining you soon. I have this feeling it will be this year or next that reorgs will finally hit. i'm looking forward to it really.

So happy for you!!!!!! I am counting off until my retirement in 2022! Enjoy your hikes!

Congratulations! I'm right behind you. 2 years, 4 months, 28 days to go for me. Not that I'm counting.

Congratulations!
    I'm still 3 months away from retirement, but am training hard to not get bored then.

Congratulations! I'm probably 10 years away, maybe 5... I have cut to 4 day workweek...not bad but I'm looking forward to many thru hikes when I retire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Congratulations! Less than a year left for me, I can't wait.
    So what are your plans? Where and what first?
    ./~Hi ho, hi ho, it's up the trail I go ./~

Congratulations! I have been retired for almost 7 years. I go hiking almost every day. I have done big trips and small trips, dayhikes, backpacks, XC skiing, swimming, paddling. It is all good! Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    After 42 years in the workforce, today was my last day of work. Up to now the longest I've been able to get away for a hike has been two weeks. I predict that in the next couple years that will change significantly!
    Congrats map man. Hope you enjoy it to the fullest.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    wooo whoo! Congrats. I've been dreaming more and more about that day.
    It's funny how work transitioned from an exiting adventure to necessity to mundane routine...with the occasional dread or burden thrown in here and there...but mostly it just transitioned to something I accept...something I need for my family, nothing more. Don't really dread it, don't really look forward to it, don't really enjoy it... i used to strive to climb that corporate ladder...to improve myself...to learn...to get promoted...to make more money. Now I have no patience for the politics and manipulation of it all. I have no time or interest for that. I just try to keep a positive attitude, keep my nose down, and just roll with it.

Was it like that for you?
    It was good and bad, like a lot of jobs.

The good) I think, and I believe most would agree, that libraries provide valuable services to any cultures they exist in. So working in a library provided a sense of purpose. Also, my work there appealed to my sense of order.

The bad) I was a small cog in a big machine (a large library within a sizable university) and that caused a number of frustrations through the years -- I'm sure anyone working in a large organization can relate.
    Last edited by map man; 02-02-2019 at 10:32.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Congratulations! Less than a year left for me, I can't wait.
    So what are your plans? Where and what first?
    A couple longer hikes are at top of mind. Starting at Katahdin and hiking as far south as I feel like going is one idea (though probably not a thru-hike attempt). Another is putting together a Colorado hike from Durango to Steamboat Springs on the Colorado Trail and CDT with maybe a detour or two along the way.

One thing I look forward to is hiking in September and October. That was the hardest time of year to get away from my job working in a university and yet such a sweet time to hike.
    Last edited by map man; 02-02-2019 at 10:35.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

All the best to you!
    Wayne

Congrats Mapman that is quite the accomplishment!! Now go hike
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Congrats, way to go! Hope to see you on the trail. Retired 5 years ago and this will be my 5th year on the trail.
    Simple is good.

Congratulations on retiring. We of the Peanut Gallery hope to read of your many hiking adventures in months and years to come!

Congratulations! When I retired four years ago almost to date, I discovered hiking and now I'm out every summer. The only regret I have is I didn't find hiking sooner.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Another is putting together a Colorado hike from Durango to Steamboat Springs on the Colorado Trail and CDT with maybe a detour or two along the way.

I like the way you think. That's a great hike. It's a bit hard though with it's elev. profile and higher elev. I did it in reverse from SS to Durango after doing the CDT and traditional CT. It's IMHO definitely better scenically than taking the traditional official CT into Denver. A better scenic way to do the CT is veer off into Lost Creek Wilderness with it's rock formations and history and ending at Roxborough SP instead of walking the somewhat mundane official route. The dam and a few overlooks are OK though on the official CT tread. Paul(Mags) recommended those as options. He has always offered up great options and every piece of advice I've read from him has been rock solid. He's terse yet offers high quality to the pt content. We should be happy we have him offering up all his sound advise.

Oh you lucky dog! It's been eight years now for me and I still pinch myself most mornings. After a thru attempt in 2014 my wife and I are still section hiking and traveling the country in an RV, our latest accomplishment was spending a month exploring the Old Mother Rd Rt 66 from Chicago to Santa Monica. We are currently wintering in the Florida panhandle and planning our next section in Virginia come spring. It's the life we both dreamed of after long careers as a medical assistant and a phone man and we are far from rich, but with a little common sense and planning we're having a ball! Here's wishing you good health and a long life!
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Images

Congratulations! It'll be 14 years for me come June 30. Haven't been bored once and certainly don't miss the grind though I loved what I did (Info Tech Management). As you can see from my signature I've had a good time hiking long trails with more yet to come. I'm certain that long distance backpacking has improved my health immensely. For the alternates from the CT en route to Steamboat Springs from Durango, I recommend a side trip from Copper Mtn to Silverthorne hiking over both Uneva and Eccles Passes using the former Ley Main route of the CDT. You can return to Copper via free Summit Stage bus or continue on the alternate to Jones Pass. I'd recommend returning to Copper to take the hike over the 10 mile range on the "official" CDT route north along the Argentine ridge to Grey's and Torrey's Peaks.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Congrats, well done now the real adventures start. ENJOY!!

AT 2012

Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    mapman,

Congratulations. Mnohaya lita!

I retired 13 months ago and it’s been one of the best years of my life.
    The trails await.
    Is that Ukrainian? I think those words were in a drinking song l learned in college...
    Lazarus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++