Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Registered User insider2185's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-05-2008
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Age
    34
    Posts
    38

    Default Most amount of completions??

    Just curious: Anyone knows what is the most number of times the AT has been completed in one year by one person? What's the name of said hiker?

    Is there an unofficial list of other "records" for the AT anywhere? I understand the ATC does not officially recognize any such records.

    Thanks!
    U.B.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Ward Leonard, 3 times i believe, sobo, nobo, flip flop.
    Done in 8 mo, unsupported too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-07-2019 at 09:42.

  3. #3

    Default

    The legend of Ward Leonard. I suspect some of the stories about him are a bit embellished, but the guy was clearly a dynamo on the trail and also an unsettling hiker for many. One of the true "characters" of AT lore.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Some who were on trail vouched for Ward passing them twice during their thruhikes. Thats humbling .

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-17-2017
    Location
    Montreal, Canada
    Age
    31
    Posts
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Some who were on trail vouched for Ward passing them twice during their thruhikes. Thats humbling .
    damn lol. never heard of this guy, must be a legend

  6. #6

    Default

    Just a piece of the legend in the story below. His trail name, not by his liking, was "Spooky Boy".

    https://www.wickedlocal.com/x1980198...alachian-Trail

  7. #7

    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,869
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlazin View Post
    damn lol. never heard of this guy, must be a legend
    A legend for hiking ability
    A legend for dickish behavior

    He had emotional issues apparently when not on meds. And he wasnt on meds.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-09-2019 at 22:31.

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    3,225
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Emerson Bigills View Post
    Just a piece of the legend in the story below. His trail name, not by his liking, was "Spooky Boy".

    https://www.wickedlocal.com/x1980198...alachian-Trail





    that is one bizarre article.......

    how does one get banned from the trail? and not twice, but banned 3 times?

  9. #9

    Default

    I don't see how anyone can be banned from a 2000 mile long trail with hundreds of access points along its route. The "banned" reference could have been National or State parks were some type of disturbance or legal complaint was filed. Or, (likely) its just some bunkum mixed with a few facts to make a story more glamorous.

  10. #10
    4eyedbuzzard's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-02-2007
    Location
    DFW, TX / Northern NH
    Age
    63
    Posts
    7,941
    Images
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    I don't see how anyone can be banned from a 2000 mile long trail with hundreds of access points along its route. The "banned" reference could have been National or State parks were some type of disturbance or legal complaint was filed. Or, (likely) its just some bunkum mixed with a few facts to make a story more glamorous.
    A judge can order people to do/not do lots of things as part of a sentence or plea agreement or pre-trial diversion. A judge can also order people to obtain mental health treatment, and take meds as prescribed, and stay away from geographic areas and certain activities. The bans weren't urban legends, they were real. The AT, for threatening behavior towards hikers and an ATC employee; Baxter for physically pushing someone off the trail. But all this happened almost 20 years ago.

  11. #11

    Default

    If Dos Equis ever did a "Most Interesting Man" of the AT, it would have to be WL. The guy's physical, unsupported feats take no backseat to the FKT's of the last ten years. Couple that with his polarizing personality and he is a clear winner. I have read some disturbing accounts of his bizarre behavior, but others told of times he was friendly and supportive on the trail. I find him a complex figure, but a tremendously compelling legend.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    A judge can order people to do/not do lots of things as part of a sentence or plea agreement or pre-trial diversion. A judge can also order people to obtain mental health treatment, and take meds as prescribed, and stay away from geographic areas and certain activities. The bans weren't urban legends, they were real. The AT, for threatening behavior towards hikers and an ATC employee; Baxter for physically pushing someone off the trail. But all this happened almost 20 years ago.
    Thanks for the detail. I had heard the tales but wasn't sure how true they were given the "character" nature of the individual.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •