WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Upcoming trip.. 2/10-2/18

I’ll be in the smokies hiking from 2/10-2/18. Just looking to see if anyone is up for a dayhike, overnighter, or even multiple nights. I’m open to any section of the park also.

Just out of curiosity, I checked the weather. Looks like a good chance it will rain Sunday through Wednesday, highs in the 40's lows below freezing. In a word, raw. Hope your prepared for that kind of weather! Perfect hypothermia conditions. The end of the week looks a little better, at least it stops raining.

There's been a lot of rain there this winter, so I'd stay away from any trail which has a lot of stream crossings. The rangers can suggest safe places to go, you'll need to go to the ranger station to get camping permits anyway.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

The rangers can suggest safe places to go, you'll need to go to the ranger station to get camping permits anyway.

good suggestion to ask rangers for route ideas....

also---I think permits can be gotten online....

Yes, permits can be gotten online on the backcountry page.

I’ve been checking the weather and am prepared. I’ve hiked the gsmnp a lot in my short lifetime. At least 4 or 5 week long trips a year for the last 10 years. You never know what can happen in the smokies though. The weather changes on a dime.

Still looking forward to it despite the weather. I put in my two weeks notice at my current job and am taking this trip before starting my new one so the dates aren’t flexible unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    good suggestion to ask rangers for route ideas....
    also---I think permits can be gotten online....
    Yeah, but it sounds like she didn't have any definitive plans on exactly where to go. "I'm open to any section of the park" with only 4 days to go before the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldr162 View Post
    I’ve been checking the weather and am prepared. I’ve hiked the gsmnp a lot in my short lifetime. At least 4 or 5 week long trips a year for the last 10 years. You never know what can happen in the smokies though. The weather changes on a dime.
    Okay then. Good luck and stay warm

I know the area well. I was mostly just saying if someone was closer to the Fontana dam area, then I could drive there. If someone wanted to hike out of Cosby, I could go there too. I have no hotel plans.

One of my friends lives in Maryville and we were going to try to do a hike together but those plans might fall through now so I was looking for another buddy to hike with.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Yeah, but it sounds like she didn't have any definitive plans on exactly where to go. "I'm open to any section of the park" with only 4 days to go before the trip?

I would think permits could be gotten the morning of a trip.....

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

It's not unusual for me to not get my GSMNP permit for a weekend trip until Friday morning.
    Of course you can't get away with plans that last minute if you are looking at very popular campsites or busy times like Memorial weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    It's not unusual for me to not get my GSMNP permit for a weekend trip until Friday morning.
    Of course you can't get away with plans that last minute if you are looking at very popular campsites or busy times like Memorial weekend.
    I usually wait too unless my plans are set in stone. Normally I will adjust based on weather. When newfound gap closes then I will hike in different areas of the park with less icy roads.

I’m guessing you won’t be up in the smokies during my trip?

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by centerfieldr162 View Post
    I’m guessing you won’t be up in the smokies during my trip?
    Don't know yet.
    2/18 is President's Day and I believe the kids are out of school.
    If the weather is decent and there aren't any other scheduling conflicts, there's the possibility that I might take one or two of the kids out for 2/16-2/18.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Don't know yet.
    2/18 is President's Day and I believe the kids are out of school.
    If the weather is decent and there aren't any other scheduling conflicts, there's the possibility that I might take one or two of the kids out for 2/16-2/18.
    Ok, let me know if you'd like to get up for a hike.

++ New Posts ++