WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Easiest dehydrated meat/jerky hack?

This Russian hack is pretty ingenious. I watched it for a bit, not even understanding what he was making. This contraption creates kabobs with very little effort. Could one simply adapt a flat nozzle to create a DIY jerky press? Perhaps even just a smaller tube would work, creating a sort of slim jim meat.

https://www.facebook.com/englishruss...1326080864193/

Images

I like it! I passed it on to someone that will definately incorporat it into some meals.

Default Easiest dehydrated meat/jerky hack?

without a casing, it would be hard to keep the meat from crumbling in a smoker or dehydrator. you could maybe wrap them tight in soaked corn husks before smoking/dehydrating them.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    without a casing, it would be hard to keep the meat from crumbling in a smoker or dehydrator. you could maybe wrap them tight in soaked corn husks before smoking/dehydrating them.
    Oh, I agree that the cylinders would be difficult to keep together. I thought that a sautee might help it, as the browning might give it some structure...... I'm unsure. I also thought that you could keep the skewer in, until it's dried partially and given itself more strength.... of course, some things break down as they dry.

I know that pressing meat into flat planks is how we use to make jerky. Those flats stayed together fine, but I can see larger cylinders being trouble.

Oh my goodness.... I'm now thinking of some little meatloaf logs. Boston Market use to sell this angus meatloaf that was delicious. I'll see if I can replicate and dehydrate that. The key term for that is "copycat recipe", and some of them are nearly identical.

The cornhusks is a good idea, and I might try using a thin slice of ham or turkey as an alternative. I don't see soaked husks working in a dehydrator, but I could see that method working in a smoker, then getting removed from husks and put into dehydrator.

Images

Use extra long popsicle sticks. Make a slot in the plastic elbow to fit the stick. Ground up your favorite smoked meat, create a meatsicle, flatten the meat on a stick, dehydrate on a rack.

Journal Entries

Or, you could squeeze the sausage around the stick by hand, or roll it

Much of the spiced lamb based kabob in middle east is done that way

++ New Posts ++