Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One factor that I underestimated on my first section hike from Amicalola was the number and extent of the elevation change. One mile in the mountains of North Georgia is not like a mile in West Central Indiana (or in my case, Central Ohio). A lot harder than I expected but I adjusted and have been back to continue my section hikes. Just something to consider. Ohhh... and wet feet, constantly, assuming this year is anything like last year. Do not harbor the illusion you can keep your feet dry. I learned that one the hard way too.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaryM View Post
    Have a support vehicle and designated pick up points if needed to pick up those who can't make it. Going to take 2-3 adults to shepherd the group, one at the front, one at the rear and one to monitor in the middle. A trustworthy scout can be the third man.
    A lot of details will be sorted out on the trail. Some kids will naturally gravitate to being helpful, other to be annoying.
    Have fun!
    Thars cell service throughout ga
    A plethora of shuttlers running around
    And hes only taking 2 teenage boys, not a troop

The adults are the ones to worry about.
    Its always the adults that are the issue, physically
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-05-2019 at 11:05.

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful responses. I genuinely appericiate all of the info. I think we are in good shape with prep and equipment. The decision to go will be up to them after we have a discussion about we will be facing...for them it means encouraging the old guys.

As I noted above, I undertook the same thing in 2007. Me and 12-year-old son were to walk the Georgia section. I had a little experience but really was a novice. It was August, very hot, and very dry. I was saturated in sweat, exhausted, and suffered the worst chaffing (thighs! arg!) of all time. By Neels Gap, 39 miles into the trip, I was toast. I decided to stop there. I was never so glad to get home. But very soon I was surprised to discover that I couldn't wait to go back. And me and the boys have gone back each year, sometime twice, and have now about 550 miles under our belts - all the way to Atkins, VA, on I-81. The trips are full of heat, cold, rain, sweat, lack of water, blowdowns, snakes, bears, yellow jackets, dirt, grime, sore muscles, and a host of other irritations. But mostly the trips were filled with the pure joy of spending time with my two boys. We seldom hiked together, but we always met at streams or mountains or likely places...and for lunch and then dinner/sleeping. We laughed and grumbled. We told stories and made up ludicrous word games. We suffered things like oldest son setting his pack in a terrific pile of bear poo; youngest son setting down his rolled sleeping bag, only to see it rolling down a steep mountainside until caught in laurels far below; and dad suffering the most exquisite shoulder cramps at the end of long days after shrugging off the heavy pack and laying down gratefully on the hard, luxurious shelter floor. We tell all kinds of stories about the AT. For we lived those miles together intensely.

Here's a little video I posted on YouTube - a chronicle of the trips from 2007 to 2017. It's fun to see how my boys, who look awfully young, grew into strong young men. It shows some of the amazing scenery and a few friends we made along the way. It doesn't show the sweat and weariness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsNGDKiY-wk

Thank you for sharing the info and video Don. I'm sure watching the video brings a big smile to your face as you think about all those memories. My boys are 7.5 and 13 and I have so many fond memories of the adventures we've had thus far. I can't wait to make some more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++