WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Big Meadows Wayside delayed opening spring 2019 (Shenandoah NP)

The historic Big Meadows wayside, which offers meals, groceries, and other services, is undergoing comprehensive renovation and rehabilitation. Due to delays caused by winter weather, the facility which was scheduled to re-open March 29 could remain closed as late as May 15, 2019. The gas pumps will still be accessible but no parking will be available. A.T. hikers should have back-up plans for the Big Meadows area, in the event the Wayside is not operational during their trip. Check goshenandoah.com/dining/food-groceries to confirm whether or not the Big Meadows Wayside is open.

The facility is located in Shenandoah National Park at Skyline Drive Milepost 51, A.T. mile 926.2 from Springer Mtn. (0.9 east of the A.T.)

Laurie Potteiger
    Appalachian Trail Conservancy

I’ve eaten there. It will be missed.

Images

never been to the big meadows wayside (at least not on foot as a hiker) getting to it from the AT involves passing pizza. thats a non-starter.

Images

Ummm... I didn't see any pizza on my way up there from the AT last year - please explain.
    It's all good in the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Ummm... I didn't see any pizza on my way up there from the AT last year - please explain.
    There are two restaurants at the Big Meadows Lodge right near the campground. The "pub" in the basement has pizza.

Images

big-meadows-property-map-brochure-2-4-16.jpg

i guess it depends a bit on which way you chose to leave the AT, but the closest food to the trail is at the lodge

Humm, I never went to the Lodge. Always went to the wayside, needed other stuff there anyway. But with the wayside closed for the early arrivals, I suppose the lodge would at least be a place to get a meal.

Couple of years ago they renovated the Loft Mt campstore. Opening was delayed, so it was closed when I got there and needed fuel and food. Had to do the mile down to the wayside. They had food, but no canisters. At least I was able to get a chicken wrap for dinner. The next day I happened to stop and talk to another hiker and told him about the closed campstore (I was SOBO, him NOBO) and I was out of fuel due to that. He said, your in luck, I have a spare canister someone gave me last night and I really don't need it. Now that's trail magic.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Humm, I never went to the Lodge. Always went to the wayside, needed other stuff there anyway. But with the wayside closed for the early arrivals, I suppose the lodge would at least be a place to get a meal.

Couple of years ago they renovated the Loft Mt campstore. Opening was delayed, so it was closed when I got there and needed fuel and food. Had to do the mile down to the wayside. They had food, but no canisters. At least I was able to get a chicken wrap for dinner. The next day I happened to stop and talk to another hiker and told him about the closed campstore (I was SOBO, him NOBO) and I was out of fuel due to that. He said, your in luck, I have a spare canister someone gave me last night and I really don't need it. Now that's trail magic.
    next day you shoulda been at the lewis mountain camp store! and then on to big meadows lodge for pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    next day you shoulda been at the lewis mountain camp store! and then on to big meadows lodge for pizza.
    I was going SOBO. Yea, should have picked up a canister at Lewis the day before.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I was going SOBO. Yea, should have picked up a canister at Lewis the day before.
    my reading comprehension is not what it should be this evening

Images

Ah, yeah going NOBO the first side trail went to the wayside, so that's where I went. A bit of a walk, but not as bad as the Loft Mtn Wayside where you had to go up a big hill after eating a big meal.

Also didn't feel comfortable going to the restaurant at Skyland after having not showered for 5 days. Just picked up some snack food from the store and moved on.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Ah, yeah going NOBO the first side trail went to the wayside, so that's where I went. A bit of a walk, but not as bad as the Loft Mtn Wayside where you had to go up a big hill after eating a big meal.

Also didn't feel comfortable going to the restaurant at Skyland after having not showered for 5 days. Just picked up some snack food from the store and moved on.
    oh being all dirty in trail clothes in a nice restaurant is part of the fun and in a place like that i'm sure they expect it. plus... no shower in 5 days? in SNP? do you actively enjoy not showering?

my favorite story like that doesnt involve hiking but mule riding. on a stop in yosemite on a cali trip my friend and basically camped out over night, didnt shower in the am, went on a 4 hour trail ride in the afternoon and then had to find somewhere to get dinner. it was saturday night and we didnt want to contend with yosemite valley and we were staying at wawona so we drove down there, onyl to be reminded the only place to eat was in the big fancy expensive dinning room. after futily trying to find anything else even remotely nearvy we through in the towel as closing time at the dining room was approaching and proceeded to sit down for a nice fancy dinner reeking of mule and having not showered in 2 days. good times.

by comparison eating at skyland for lunch when i had showered at big meadows that morning was a rather tame experience.

++ New Posts ++