WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Feedback sought on pack fit

Just curious if the angle of the load lifters on the pictured alpine pack indicate a poor fit, and if so, how much does that matter. This is a 50L pack labeled as R (regular). Details on the pack are uncertain; It was handed down to me. I found a OLD review in Backpacker showing a size fit range of 15-24 ... I can't help but suspect that covers two pack sizes, regular (15-19) and large (20-24). Just guessing though. I'm usually a tall (torso 21-22").

The shoulder straps self-adjust in terms of where they connect to the pack; they slide along an exposed section of the carbon composite stays that form an X frame.

IMG_2934s.jpg

In any case, here are two pictures, one with the belt centered on my iliac crest,

LL_hips.jpg

and the other is with the belt resting atop the iliac crest, i.e., around my waist, with the buckle over my belly button.

LL_waist.jpg

I do like the pack, but been having some LBP lately and wondering if it's unwise to try to make it work for me, if indeed the frame is too small/load lifters too horizontal to my shoulder. Perhaps I should find another pack that does a better job of shifting weight to my hips. Or maybe it's not really a big deal ... IDK! I will say this: in use, it feels OK, but I can tell that some weight is on my shoulders, more so than on other packs where it's clear that the shoulder straps only serve to keep the top of the pack from falling backwards and away from my back.

What do you think?

Thanks for any feedback.

The load lifters server to change the center of gravity and the way the pack rides. Going up hill you generally want the pack tight to your back so it pushes you up the trail or when you need stability if there is rough footing. Going steeply down hill, loosening the load lifters shifts the center of gravity farther back, which helps in keeping you from falling forward too much.

So, you want them posisioned so that they can shift the top of the pack back and forth. Photo 3 looks closest, but I think I'd want the pack to ride a little higher on my back, which I guess would mean making the shoulder strap connection the back of the pack as short as possible. But if that pulls the waist belt up too high, you just need to compromise.

99% of the time, the load lifters are just set in about the middle. I wonder how many actually adjust them to suit the trail during the day. I seem to do it more here in NH and ME then farther south.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++