WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Alcohol chemistry

Okay, I have a mostly full bottle of generic gasline antifreeze which, despite the warning that it contains methyl alcohol, seems to contains a significant percentage of isopropyl alcohol. Different burn characteristics that HEET and it leaves sooty resin on my pot. It doesn't list the contents by the way. I also have quarter full bottle of HEET. Can I safely mix (and then use) the two? It seems like this wouldn't be a problem, but I spent my highschool afternoons hanging out in parks rather than attending chemistry class, so I thought I'd ask.

Images

Yes, you can combine alcohols safely. Denatured alcohol is a mixture of alcohol types.

What brand of fuel line additive and what is the wording. I've gotten pretty good at chasing down their contents.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

What's really funny is that a lot of these "Alcohol additives" especially ethanol, will eat away any rubber parts in your car, say, rubber Orings on your fuel injectors, carb floats...

Images

The brand is Uni-fide and it is called "Gas-Line Antifreeze". A subadvertisement for it adds, "Drys out your gasline" or something like that. It has the standard poison symbol with the usual warnings and says it contains methyl alcohol. It was about 30 cents cheaper than HEET.

++ New Posts ++