WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Milk

Carnation is easy to find and okay to cook with but inferior to Nido. I do know some folks who mix coffee creamer in with it to improve the taste somewhat.

I bought a few to experiment with . Thx for the input

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Where do you find dried goat milk?

I'm lactose intolerant , so this is interesting.
    Nido does make a Low Lactose version. Its works OK if your intolerance is only mild. I have found it on Amazon and at Walmart

check the hispanic food aisle at wally world (or other grocers that have nationality designations) for nido.

Dried coconut milk is available in most wallyworlds in Hispanic and Asian sections. The different brands are each a little different. You can make a pretty good cocoa mix with it, or add to tea, coffee. No lactose issues there

I haven't seen Milkman brand powdered milk listed here. It was a great staple readily available in grocery stores years ago and still available on amazon, and quite good. AND, as mentioned by Peakbagger above, but not with the merit my experience suggests it deserves - regular Carnation powdered skim milk with some powdered coffee cream added is shockingly good compared to the powdered milk alone. Currently, I generally use Nido or Carnation with creamer because I like shopping locally.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Dutch brand PEAK powdered cow's milk is the creamiest, better quality than NIDO. Check out Meyenberg's powdered goat milk. They used to sell it in 4 oz packages but I've only seen the cans of powder lately. Native Forest brand powdered coconut milk is a good taste change. I was only finding it at Wfoods buy have seen it on rare occasions at WallyWorld.

Journal Entries

Default Powdered milk along the AT

Quote Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
    Can anyone recomend a good quality dehyrated milk powder that is easily found in grocery stores ?
    Carnation makes 1 qt envelopes- sometimes found. Nido can sometimes be found. Powdered muscle milk(nasty) is usually found in quantities to big to haul around. Found powdered vanilla coffee creamer near the coffee and used as milk powder for 6 days. Transfer to baggy. Or keep in the small plastic container to keep ants out. Cheap, light. Goes with everything.

Images

Powdered whole milk and even heavy cream are available. They take more work (especially the heavy cream) stirring and shaking to dissolve than powdered skim milk due to the greater fat content. Hoosier Hill and Anthonys are two brands. Available on Amazon. I've never seen them in B&M stores.

"Peak" brand. A product of the Netherlands but I found it in an Asian-African market. I think it's a bit tastier than Nido - which I like also.

20190528_201339.jpg

I pre-mix Nido with muesli for breakfast, and then just add water. I was surprised how good it was.

Bringing back this thread to ask people about putting dried milk in resupply boxes. If I were to buy a can of dried milk and seperate into a few bags for 5 resupply boxes would it be okay? I'd be using the milk within 30 days of shipping it

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

If its kept dry it lasts for years. I have the same can of Nido on my shelf I opened 4 years ago. Still tastes fine.

Images

Yep, my pre-packaged cereal/Nido baggies seem to last a long time, never had any weird tastes or tummy aches from using stuff from maybe a year old.

Nido is hard to find in a lot of stores, especially out east. It's all over the place in the west. It's a Mexican product, and the Hispanic community uses a lot of it apparently, because it is found in the Hispanic food section of our grocery stores (in Colorado). Maybe it has become more popular these days in more places. Great product... protein rich whole milk, tastes great, great nutrition, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yep, my pre-packaged cereal/Nido baggies seem to last a long time, never had any weird tastes or tummy aches from using stuff from maybe a year old.

Nido is hard to find in a lot of stores, especially out east. It's all over the place in the west. It's a Mexican product, and the Hispanic community uses a lot of it apparently, because it is found in the Hispanic food section of our grocery stores (in Colorado). Maybe it has become more popular these days in more places. Great product... protein rich whole milk, tastes great, great nutrition, etc.
    Thanks. Pretty much every Walmart I've been too here in New England has it. I was planning on doing prepackaged granola and milk bags and sending them ahead. Will be eaten within 30 days

Here in Ontario, Canada, Nido is most easily found in stores catering to Hindus and Muslims from all across the Middle East. Nido and so much other wonderful food!

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Here in Ontario, Canada, Nido is most easily found in stores catering to Hindus and Muslims from all across the Middle East. Nido and so much other wonderful food!
    Here in New Hampshire. The general population survives out of Walmart. I just wanted to make sure if I bagged up some powdered milk I wouldn't open it in three weeks to it being spoiled in a resupply box. Ideally I'd have a vacuum sealer. But i don't, and purchasing one is out of the question. Won't fit in my new home on wheels

BTW, long before I heard about Nido, the trick was to add powdered dairy creamer to Carnation powdered milk. Coffee creamer is basically spray dried encapsulated fat with some flavoring and does improve the taste of carnation which is fat free. Nido is just carnation with some spray dried fat added to it. My old go to evening sugar buzz when section hiking was a premixed half a pouch of jello instant pudding with carnation and couple of spoons of coffee creamer, just add water, knead it and in a few minutes bite off a corner of the ziplock and squeeze it into my mouth. I do not drink coffee and still have the original container of coffee creamer. I bought around the year 2001, I keep it dry and its still tastes fine.

I remember encountering a pack of thru hikers in Maine one year that took great joy in buying captain crunch or other kids cereal in town and having a big bowl of cereal with Nido every morning. They started it in VT and were doing it to just change things up as 3 or 4 months of the same menu was getting old. The cereal takes up a lot of room but by then their packs were pretty empty.

So a milk in recipe question...

When cooking at home some of the Knorr packets I use call for milk. Do I just mix up some powdered milk with water and add to the packet? Can I just put the powdered milk straight into the packet and add water to the whole mixture? Do I just skip the milk and simply reconstitute with water only?

Don't need milk/cream for my coffee as I drink it black.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++