WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Milk

Question Milk

Can anyone recomend a good quality dehyrated milk powder that is easily found in grocery stores ?

Nido seems to be the preferred option if available. I dont find it up north and have to order it.

Images

There's also a powdered buttermilk, which I use at home. Kinda special purpose, though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    I've used both the Nido option and the dried goat milk option.
    Where do you find dried goat milk?

I'm lactose intolerant , so this is interesting.

Images

baby powdered milk is high in protien, available in most stores where other powdered milk can't be found.

I prefer whole milk (which is why I assume most people like Nido), but I also prefer to avoid soy in my milk. It used to be that some boxes of Nido had no soy, but it seems they all do now.

My new favorite milk powder is Hoosier Hill Farm Whole Milk Powder. It tastes about as good as the Nido, mixes easily, and has only one ingredient: Whole Milk. I don't know if it's in the grocery stores, but it's definitely available at Amazon.

I wish and pray to the Sinus Gods that I could continue to use powdered milk during my backpacking trips. Nothing better than peppermint or nettle tea with honey and powdered goat milk. Or Mt Hagen organic coffee (decaf or not) with a couple tablespoons of goat milk powder!) It all starts out harmlessly enough but after several months of use---Nido, goat milk---doesn't matter---my head blows up and I'm spewing chunks from a nasty sinus infection. Solution? Avoid all dairy and most esp dried milk.

Btw, goat milk powder in morning coffee looks stupendous!!---

Journal Entries

:banana

I'm a fan of Nido, which is the Spanish word for 'nest'. Here in Kentucky that is sometimes found in the 'Latin American' section of supermarkets. rather than being placed with other powdered milk products. Nestle marketed Nido internationally for decades before bringing it to U.S. supermarkets to sell to immigrants.

I choose to drink Nido brand "Leche Entera en Polvo...Powdered Whole Milk with Added Vitamins and Minerals". I avoid buying Nestle's powdered infant formula-like product, which is also branded as "Nido". So, I read the labels. The canisters that I avoid buying are the ones that have a picture of a small child.
    Last edited by Siestita; 02-10-2019 at 17:30.

Images

I was in a good size town down in Mississippi this past year and not one store could be found with powdered milk. I purchased liquid coffee creamers in the small single dose to survive

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    baby powdered milk is high in protien, available in most stores where other powdered milk can't be found.
    I was getting ready to say that adults should buy the yellow label Nido WHOLE milk. Found in the Hispanic food section of any decent supermarket.
    The BABY formula Nido is packed with tropical oils and other crud. Avoid.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I was getting ready to say that adults should buy the yellow label Nido WHOLE milk. Found in the Hispanic food section of any decent supermarket.
    The BABY formula Nido is packed with tropical oils and other crud. Avoid.
    Several preceding cautions about powdered baby milk. The youngsters don’t stand a chance.
    Wayne

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
    Where do you find dried goat milk?

I'm lactose intolerant , so this is interesting.
    Depends on the store. Sometimes it’s with the other dried milks, sometimes it’s in the healthfoos aisle, and sometimes it’s near the babyfood. (It’s a common milk replacement for children with mild dairy allergies/intolerances.)
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Milk is for babies-drink beer on the trail!!!
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Images

The BABY formula Nido is packed with tropical oils and other crud. Avoid
    Keeps your skin looking young and vibrant. You'll be wrinkle free within a week.....

Quote Originally Posted by gonegonzo View Post
    Can anyone recomend a good quality dehyrated milk powder that is easily found in grocery stores ?
    I think the problem in this post is the original question. "Quality" is the term debated here. Me, I like Nido, and consider the quality of the "taste" to be about the best I have tasted. "Nutritionally" is a subject I'm not qualified to answer. For a few days I like Nido, and havent grown a third eye YET.

Images

For a few days I like Nido, and havent grown a third eye YET.
    Too much nido is bad for your health

Last edited by zelph; 02-11-2019 at 10:19.

I find Nido dehydrated whole cows milk in Hispanic section of wallyworld, when tummy and or sinuses acting up I use the powdered goat milk found in baking section. I like goat cheeses, if you don’t then you probably won’t like powdered goat milk. It’s an acquired taste. I like it with earl grey tea, not so much with coffee.

Ive seen some folks use carnation instant breakfast powder in their morning coffee, they swear by it! Creamer and sugar, flavor and a little extra protein. The French vanilla and chocolate would be good, strawberry might be a little weird, but then weird food combos is one of the joys of hiking!

always fun to try new stuff. I put my no go food errors in the hiker box or local food pantry. Betty Crocker spuds on sale were evil to my spoiled taste buds. Enjoy trying new stuff! Diet rules go away on trail.

NIDO is the way to go!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++