WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Funky dumplings

Images

Default Funky dumplings

Here’s the basic recipe for the Funky Dumpling Mix:
    2 cups all purpose flour
    2-1/2 TSP Bakers’s Corner Baking Powder
    1/2 TSP salt

Mix above ingredients together and add whatever dry seasonings you may prefer.
    I’m experimenting with 1/3 cup of the above ingredients when using the Toaks 650 Light pot. I put the 1/3 cup mix into a Ziploc bag and then add 1 TBSP margarine. I mix the margarine into the mix by kneading the sides of the Ziploc till margarine is absorbed into the mix and then I add 2 TSP water and knead that into mixture. Now it’s ready to put into hot soup. noodles and chicken or hot blueberry compote. Simmer until surface of dumplings looks matte, not glossy. Test with toothpick till no mix sticks to it. The dollops of mix will float on top of the hot liquid.

Video 3 0 00 00-01.jpg

Work with this mix at home on your stove top until you are comfortable taking it on a hike.
    Untitled 0 00 00-01 (2).jpgUntitled 0 00 00-01.jpg
    Last edited by zelph; 05-20-2017 at 09:52.

Images

Tomorrow I'll use coconut oil in place of margarine to mix in with the dry mix. Coconut oil is trail friendly and tastes better.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

"Mustard on em's good to me" - Slingblade

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dudeijuststarted View Post
    "Mustard on em's good to me" - Slingblade
    Good thought. I can mix the batter and then curl it around a frankfurter and then em-pail it onto a stick and roast it and then put mustard on it to enjoy

The recipe for the basic mix is almost the same as for "bannock"

bannock on a stick.JPGbannock2.JPG

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Hungry now.

If you're putting them on blueberry compote, I'd add cinnamon &/or nutmeg to the dumplings. For savory, garlic &/or a little chicken bouillon granules.

-FA

Images

I modified the basic dough recipe. I added 2 packets of Stevia and upped the baking powder to 2 TBS and deleted the seasoning. I decided not to add seasoning to the mix, this way I can use it for dessert or meals.
    Using my Toaks Light 700 I boiled 2 cups and then added 1 cup MT House, stirred the mix in for 1 min and shut off heat. I used 1/2 cup(instead of 1/3) of dough mix and 1 TBS butter into a Ziploc and kneaded it till mixed and then added 1 TBS water, kneaded that till it released from walls of ziploc. While the dough was still in the ziploc, I flattened it out into a 3/8″ thick disc. I put the disc into the pot and turned on the heat to simmer. simmered it for about 5 min. turned heat off and let sit till cool enough to eat. That took at least 15 min. dumpling was cooked to perfection. 700ml of food is a good, hearty meal for a 235 pounder guy like me.
    I used a small 3″ simmering disc to insure no scorching inside pot. I’ll get a photo of it and submit later or tomorrow.

i can add the cinnamon to the corn starch for desert dumplings. Thanks Farr Away
    Last edited by zelph; 05-22-2017 at 17:42.

Thinking about your funky dumplings and crossing over to the bakepacker thread, adding a we bit of baking soda to the water in which the dumplings simmer for a minute will change the texture to that of a pretzel or bagel when finished off in the oven...foods for thought and your personal consumption, don't forget the mustard!

[though I've never tried this particular system in the field]

...can also be stuffed with cheese, we make pretzel bites here using Brie, but I supposed most cheeses would work.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Tomorrow I'll use coconut oil in place of margarine to mix in with the dry mix. Coconut oil is trail friendly and tastes better.
    please do not do that... any oil that stays clear and liquid at room temp is OK, Those oils other than butter, that stay solid should be avoided... hope that helps Zelph.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Poppycock!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Poppycock!
    Agreed. My wife bakes with coconut oil all the time. You can substitute just about any saturated fat for butter. Shortening, lard, cocoa butter. They all work. It's just preference and taste.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    Agreed. My wife bakes with coconut oil all the time. You can substitute just about any saturated fat for butter. Shortening, lard, cocoa butter. They all work. It's just preference and taste.
    granted none of its real great for us, but I made a apple pie last night and can't help but wonder what it would look and taste like had I used liquid oils verses butter and a bit of vegetable shortening to cut-in the flour...that's my favorite part!

...it would prolly be all gluteny and not lite and flaky dough. In all fairness dumplings on the other hand would likely turn out just fine, and with a name like "funky dumpling" I'm assuming anything goes.

Images

That's whats great about funky dumplings....anything goes :-) Roast it on a stick and then throw it into the pot. Scoff them down with blueberry compote. Just be creative and have fun!

Images

Made lunch using coconut oil. Flattened the dough down to 1/4" thick. 2 cups to a boil, dumped in 1 cup Mtn Hse, turned heat off. Mixed dough, flattened it and put into pot and then simmered for 4 min. transfered from pot to ceramic bowl to cool down faster so i can enjoy once I make this post :-)

I used the chicken flavoring packet from Ramen noodles. The photo shows the simmer disc that I used.

Video 1 0 00 00-08.jpgVideo 2 0 00 00-01.jpg

That looks darn tasty!

Images

The taste was ok. coconut oil flavor was a little strong, needs more Ramen flavoring ;-) dumpling was completely cooked and adds substance to the meal :-)

Next test will be outside at the local forest preserve using an alcohol stove.
    Last edited by zelph; 05-23-2017 at 15:03.

Any tips for cleaning out the ziplock after? That is always the least fun part, and why I avoid dumplings.

Quote Originally Posted by JFKinYK View Post
    Any tips for cleaning out the ziplock after? That is always the least fun part, and why I avoid dumplings.
    And a wee bit more flour, cleans it right up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++