WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default CDT (New Mexico) permit info

FYI from the CDTC reference the New Mexico State Land permit.

Hi hikers,

CDTC is currently working with the NM state land office to make the permit process easier for CDT hikers. If you have not already applied for your New Mexico State Land permit, please wait to do so until you get another email from us with an update! We are not sure yet what the solution will be, but it will include a way for international hikers to easily get the permit! We will send out another email with more information by early March.

Thanks for all your patience. Hope you all are excited to get on the trail!

Rachel
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

There goes the neighborhood.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    FYI from the CDTC reference the New Mexico State Land permit.
    My hope is that the CDTC can directly take the payment and process the permits from their website.
    As a Canadian, the payment process is very difficult - and I won't be able to get it done while I am away hiking in Israel this winter.
    The permit itself is very old school, "complete the CONTRACT in ink or by typewriter"

TYPEWRITER????
    hahahahahaha
    Follow My Hiking Adventures: http://www.youtube.com/SaraDhooma
    Or if you just like photos: http://instagram.com/scifi_sara

I printed it out, filled it in (in ink), and mailed it. I know they received it as my check cleared within just a few days. Am awaiting the permit in the mail. Simple, although rather dated, for U.S. citizens for sure.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Lonehiker, can you provide some details on NM Land Permit? I'm yet to obtain one on any NM CDT hike.

When I made my shuttle reservation with the CDTC they indicated that said permit was required. Provided a link to print the permit request etc. The initial post in this thread was from an email that I received from the CDTC. I had already mailed my request and am awaiting the permit.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

This was part of the message provided when I made shuttle reservation.

Just to let you know — we've received your order #19258, and it is now being processed:
    Dear CDT Hiker,

Thank you for your reservation on the 2019 Southern Terminus Shuttle! Please read this email in full as it contains important information!

**YOU MUST APPLY FOR A NEW MEXICO STATE LANDS PERMIT** Click here for more information and to download the permit application.

SHUTTLE INFO:

The shuttle leaves from the Lordsburg Econolodge at 6:30 am. Be in the lobby and ready to leave at 6:15 am.

The ride to the border takes approximately 3 hours. Bring extra water and snacks for the ride!
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Is this something new? Never heard about it when I planned by 2010 thru.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Is this something new? Never heard about it when I planned by 2010 thru.
    Exactly. And in 2013 and 2014 when I did NM CDT hikes I hadn't heard of this.

According to the New Mexico State web page: “Overnight camping is not allowed.”
    My questions: Does anyone know if the state land is clearly marked at CDT crossings? It would be nice to know if it’s better to camp short of the state line or if you have enough daylight to press on through the state land.
    I didn’t read the small print on the permit. $35 is for an annual permit?
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Latest update from the CDTC

Hello hikers!
    Thank you all for your patience as we worked with the NM State Land Office on this permit. Unfortunately we are NOT able to cover the cost of the permit for CDT hikers. I am sorry for any confusion and inconvenience on that point.

You can apply for your permit directly through the NM State Land Office (here is the link: http://www.nmstatelands.org/Recreati...eationalPermit). They accept applications by mail, with a check or money order for $35.

If you are unable to apply via mail, we expect to have an online system available for you soon! Our executive director will be signing an agreement next week with the state land office to allow us to process permits for CDT hikers (thru and section hikers). I will send out an email to everyone once we have the online system up and running. I expect to have it ready by April 2nd.

If you are heading out before April 2nd, and are not able to apply via mail for your permit, please send me an email. We will work with you to make sure you are covered.

Thanks,

Rachel
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Since overnight camping is not permitted on these state lands, will the boundaries be marked where the CDT crosses the state land?
    Or will the Guthook app indicate the boundaries?
    Wayne

I'd like instructions on how to fill out the form. It asks for where you plan to visit and I don't know what parts of the CDT line up with the different land boundaries. Can't we just put CDT?

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    I'd like instructions on how to fill out the form. It asks for where you plan to visit and I don't know what parts of the CDT line up with the different land boundaries. Can't we just put CDT?
    That is what I did and received approved permit back with a couple of weeks. Maybe a bit less.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    That is what I did and received approved permit back with a couple of weeks. Maybe a bit less.

FYI to all the last minute procrastinators: I mailed my application in the first week in March. My $35 check was cashed on 3/12 and as of 3/30, I still haven't received anything back yet so I'm hoping I receive it back within the next 16 days before I leave.......

Today's update from CDTC. This should resolve any issues...

Hi hikers,

The online application for the New Mexico State Lands Recreational Access Permit is now live, here: https://continentaldividetrail.org/p...mexico-permit/

Thank you all for your patience as we've worked with the New Mexico state land office to get this up and running. If you have already applied for the permit directly through the state land office you can disregard this email.

After you apply and pay for the permit, you should receive a confirmation email that we've gotten your application. Your permit will be emailed to you within 48 hours. Please save a copy to your phone, and/or print out a paper copy to carry with you.

Finally, just a note that I will be using this mass email list to send out important notices (e.g. fire closures/reroutes) throughout the hiking season. If you would like to be removed from this list at any point, just let me know.

Thanks,

Rachel
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Thanks. As a last minute procrastinater, that really helps. I was going to start my trip in less than 2 weeks, so the promised 2 day turnover works. Just placed my order.

That was fast. Just received the PDF file of my permit from the CDTC.

++ New Posts ++