WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Loop ideas

Default Loop ideas

Hi,

Looking at the month of May and trying to come up with a nice 3 day 2 night loop hike. I am experienced but will be with a newbie. I want them to see as much as possible but not be too rough on them mileage wise. Maybe 7 or 8 miles a day. Any favorite loops that meet that criteria or at least get close? I have never been in the park, so I'm just looking at maps and websites trying to gauge good hikes. Thanks.

Images

are there many sizable (lets say over 20 miles in length) N-S trails in SNP besides the AT? even if you tack two trails together? i want to say not really. makes a long loop tough. in the fat part of the park in the middle you can probably make a decent loop thats mostly east-west, like between the AT and the old rag area. start at old rag though. at the bottom. people who hike from the AT to the summit of old rag and then turn around back to the AT havent really hiked up old rag.

Have you looked at any of these? https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...ntry-trips.htm

In the southern section just south of Loft Mountain, there are a number of trails that you can make a loop from for a couple of days. Look at combining some of these - Big Run, Austin Mtn, Furnace Mtn, Jones Run and AT.

Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Wow, they have a lot of potential hikes listed. Like most, I just blow thru there on the AT interstate.

Keep in mind that nearly all these hikes originate on the Skyline drive, which more or less follows the height of land along the top of the ridge. Therefore, any trail which leaves the Skyline drive goes down hill, possibly steeply down hill since SNP is fairly narrow ridge. Then you have to climb back up to the road. Which is opposite then normal, where you'd start low and end high, then go back low again. The basic park overview pdf doesn't show elevation contours, so be careful. You'd have to use their easy-moderate-difficult selection guide.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

There are a large number of loop trails that use the AT has one part of the loop. You can put two together to form a sort of figure 8, like austin mountain, trayfoot mountain, paynes run trails, using the at in between. If you park on skyline drive then it is true that the loops drop down, then climb. You can also park at the base of the mountain and access the AT by climbing up at first, so your final walk would be downhill to your vehicle. There's an excellent small out of print book called circuit hikes in shenandoah park, you can find some editions inexpensively on ebay at times.

Down Whiteoak Canyon Tr, Berry Hollow Rd to Old Rag Tr, Old Rag, Weakly Hollow Rd. Corbin Hollow Tr or Robertson Mt Tr, Old Rag Fire Rd, Limberlost Tr back to Whiteoak Canyon parking area. If that's too much do the WO canyon Cedar Run Loop with starting and ending at Skylands and crossing over to the AT at Hawksbill Gap to get back to Skylands. If you're "feeing it" I'd wander over to the Old Rag Tr even if you only do a quick out and back as that is some nice rock formations and views on a ridge.

I will check the suggestions listed. This is listed on the blueridgeoutdoors as a 21 mile loop. Sound good?

Big Meadows, Hawksbill, and Rose River

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Down Whiteoak Canyon Tr, Berry Hollow Rd to Old Rag Tr, Old Rag, Weakly Hollow Rd. Corbin Hollow Tr or Robertson Mt Tr, Old Rag Fire Rd, Limberlost Tr back to Whiteoak Canyon parking area. If that's too much do the WO canyon Cedar Run Loop with starting and ending at Skylands and crossing over to the AT at Hawksbill Gap to get back to Skylands. If you're "feeing it" I'd wander over to the Old Rag Tr even if you only do a quick out and back as that is some nice rock formations and views on a ridge.
    Do you have mileage on this already? If not I will figure it up. Sounds interesting. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by chef4 View Post
    There are a large number of loop trails that use the AT has one part of the loop. You can put two together to form a sort of figure 8, like austin mountain, trayfoot mountain, paynes run trails, using the at in between. If you park on skyline drive then it is true that the loops drop down, then climb. You can also park at the base of the mountain and access the AT by climbing up at first, so your final walk would be downhill to your vehicle. There's an excellent small out of print book called circuit hikes in shenandoah park, you can find some editions inexpensively on ebay at times.
    Thank you I just found a used copy on amazon for $6.

Look on the NPS link provided. Then, add in the AT mileage.

I like that you get waterfalls, creeks, waterways(to reduce water wt hauls!), escarpment overlooks, a ridge line scramble along really cool rocks with bordering opps, forests, some of the AT, start/begin at Skylands Lodge(b-fast start, post hike quaff and dinner, thereby reducing consumable wt and bulk), opps to deviate or take alternate trails, opps to get away from the masses, easier permits, and rather not difficult terrain so you can really smell the roses. Away from the masses you're also more likely to experience wildlife which S NP has more of than might be assumed. S NP isn't just bears or peregrine falcons.

a ridge line/escarpment scramble along really cool rocks with bouldering opps

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Look on the NPS link provided. Then, add in the AT mileage.

I like that you get waterfalls, creeks, waterways(to reduce water wt hauls!), escarpment overlooks, a ridge line scramble along really cool rocks with bordering opps, forests, some of the AT, start/begin at Skylands Lodge(b-fast start, post hike quaff and dinner, thereby reducing consumable wt and bulk), opps to deviate or take alternate trails, opps to get away from the masses, easier permits, and rather not difficult terrain so you can really smell the roses. Away from the masses you're also more likely to experience wildlife which S NP has more of than might be assumed. S NP isn't just bears or peregrine falcons.
    I'm sorry Dogwood, I don't follow. Are you talking about a particular hike on the NPS website or are you piecing something together? Thanks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NJH View Post
    Have you looked at any of these? https://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvis...ntry-trips.htm

In the southern section just south of Loft Mountain, there are a number of trails that you can make a loop from for a couple of days. Look at combining some of these - Big Run, Austin Mtn, Furnace Mtn, Jones Run and AT.
    Beat me to it. You can make a great loop in Big run. There is a Mountain full of blueberries on the SW side and a bunch of raspberries in the old CCC camp just south of there.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Beat me to it. You can make a great loop in Big run. There is a Mountain full of blueberries on the SW side and a bunch of raspberries in the old CCC camp just south of there.
    As soon as I get my trail book I will try to put something together in this area. Thanks.

++ New Posts ++