WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: JMT & Permits

Default JMT & Permits

Im attempting to plan a thru-hike of the JMT this summer season ( first time - & solo ) and i must say that the permitting process is a bit disenchanting. Of course i am entered into the rolling 21 day lottery, which has thus far yielded nothing but denials = "no luck". Im aware of the NoBo option being somewhat easier to arrange with permitting, but id really like to do this trip the traditional SoBo route. Do they issue any of the "walk up permits" for the JMT out of the valley or just at the Tuolumne side of the park ? Im wondering how likely i would be to score one, if i lined up at the ranger station at some ungodly pre-dawn hour ? The thing is that i am an east coaster and the thought of planning a trip of this magnitude, traveling across the country - via planes, trains and automobiles - and having the entire adventure hinge upon a "walk-up permit" leaves me feeling a bit insecure too put it lightly. 😳

-Anyone else out there with personal experience and/or insight who'd like to chime in ? 🤔
    Last edited by Out of Mind; 02-14-2019 at 03:35.

Journal Entries

As the yosemite permit page clearly states, 10 first come -first served permits per day are issued for lyell canyon trailhead. And your best chance is at tuolumne meadows wilderness center.

Whether you risk that is up to you.
    You will need campground reservations several days and a loose schedule.
    Do not think your the only person with that plan.

“...the traditional SoBo route”
    Says who? Just do it. By the least stressful way possible.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    As the yosemite permit page clearly states, 10 first come -first served permits per day are issued for lyell canyon trailhead. And your best chance is at tuolumne meadows wilderness center.

Whether you risk that is up to you.
    You will need campground reservations several days and a loose schedule.
    Do not think your the only person with that plan.

Hey Muddy Waters - Yup, that is correct. It looks like Yosemite’s permit site also states that, “Late cancellations may be available on a first-come, first-served basis, although we don't expect any to be available most days.” Just interested in anyone’s experience with the “walk-up” permit route. Im aware of the necessary contingencies in such a scenario, Appreciate the feedback ✌🏼
    Last edited by Out of Mind; 02-16-2019 at 01:37. Reason: Addressing the sender I’m Responding to

Hey Venchka - I know others do it NoBo, which can provide for an easier permitting process. Do you think altitude acclimation would be a significant factor on this route, starting from Mt. Whitney ?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Out of Mind View Post
    Hey Muddy Waters - Yup, that is correct. It looks like Yosemite’s permit site also states that, “Late cancellations may be available on a first-come, first-served basis, although we don't expect any to be available most days.” Just interested in anyone’s experience with the “walk-up” permit route. Im aware of the necessary contingencies in such a scenario, Appreciate the feedback ✌
    Walk up jmt permits is not what it used to be.
    Anyones experience before 2016 or probably 2017 is irrelevant. Keep that in mind. It used to be easy to get in valley.

Id imagine each year tougher than previous as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-14-2019 at 04:14.

My buddy is trying for the Yosemite lottery but also has a backup plan to start two days south of HI, which is a thing you might want to consider. Far less compression, apparently

Hey Venchka - I know others do it NoBo, which can provide for an easier permitting process. Do you think altitude acclimation would be a significant factor on this route, starting from Mt. Whitney ?
    The effects of altitude vary with each individual. Like diet, everybody is different.
    I’ve never had any problems in the Rockies between 10,000’ and 12,000+’. Coming from sea level I allow myself 3-4 nights between 7,000’ and 10,500’ before hitting the trail. If Whitney will be your first trip above 10,000’, you won’t know how you will fare until you get there.
    The same would be true starting SOBO and running into your first trip to 10,000’ or 12,000+’.
    There’s no shame in skipping the trip up Whitney. I certainly would skip it.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

You wont be starting from mt whitney for nobo

Whitney Portal?

You wont be starting from mt whitney for nobo

Journal Entries

Nope
    Not unless win lottery there, harder than happy isles

Cottonwood pass...30 mi south of whitney is the option.

You are also not permitted for camping in whitney zone, or a portal resupply, so pay attn to that.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-14-2019 at 13:32.

MW - I was looking at - a Whitney portal start ( 11 miles climb up Mt. Whitney from portal ) or a Cottonwood start for the NoBo option. All of which start with Whitney ( which I would not want to skip ) as the first and obviously highest elevation of the entire trail. Much of the info I have researched on the trail highlights the benefit of a more gradual acclimation to elevation offered by a SoBo route, as well as the added benefit of building one’s trail legs.
    What do you mean I “won’t be starting from Whitney” ?

Whitney portal is done by lottery as well and definitely tough to get. However, there are 100 permits out of the 2 Cottonwood entries - 60 reservable and 40 are “walk-up”.
    ( according my research )
    Certainly more favorable than Yosemite’s odds.

Journal Entries

MW - I was looking at - a Whitney portal start ( 11 miles climb up Mt. Whitney from portal ) or a Cottonwood start for the NoBo option. All of which start with Whitney ( which I would not want to skip ) as the first and obviously highest elevation of the entire trail. Much of the info I have researched on the trail highlights the benefit of a more gradual acclimation to elevation offered by a SoBo route, as well as the added benefit of building one’s trail legs.
    You have to win whitney lottery for access to whitney portal. Your option is only cottonwood possibly to start. Or further north. You also cant camp in whitney zone.

He said it’s harder to get a permit from the portal. I can tell you I sure as hell wouldn’t want to climb W from there! I did a flip flop out of mammoth few years back...thx to MW and others recs as permits only getting harder...I might be doing JMT again this fall started by out cottonwood....I live at sea level and haven’t ever had issues starting the day after I fly in....everyone’s different but I due believe being in good physical shape helps your body acclimate....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Whitney lottery delayed this yr
    you can still get in

Worth trying
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-14-2019 at 14:00.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    My buddy is trying for the Yosemite lottery but also has a backup plan to start two days south of HI, which is a thing you might want to consider. Far less compression, apparently

Hey chknfngrs ✋🏼- Are they debating the same approach ? ie - trying for a “walk up” at Tuolumne ?
    Last edited by Out of Mind; 02-14-2019 at 14:07.

Whitney lottery delayed this yr
    you can still get into

Worth trying
    MW - delayed ? really ?! Good to know !
    Appreciate the heads up !
    Last edited by Out of Mind; 02-14-2019 at 14:23.

Coming from across the country hoping for a walkup is stressful.

I also suggest starting out of cottonwood lakes or cottonwood pass trail heads. You won't reach Whitney till day 3 at the earliest. The trail legs issue can be mitigated with training hikes before your trip. I highly advise training before you go as it will be much more enjoyable. For acclimatization, it helps to camp a day or 2 at 10K like at horseshoe meadows before starting the trail. I had no issues coming from under 1K elevation and staying one night at Horseshoe Meadows, but everyone is different.

If you happen to luck out and win your lottery from HI, then you can cancel your NOBO permit.

Good luck with your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by john844 View Post
    Coming from across the country hoping for a walkup is stressful.

I also suggest starting out of cottonwood lakes or cottonwood pass trail heads. You won't reach Whitney till day 3 at the earliest. The trail legs issue can be mitigated with training hikes before your trip. I highly advise training before you go as it will be much more enjoyable. For acclimatization, it helps to camp a day or 2 at 10K like at horseshoe meadows before starting the trail. I had no issues coming from under 1K elevation and staying one night at Horseshoe Meadows, but everyone is different.

If you happen to luck out and win your lottery from HI, then you can cancel your NOBO permit.

Good luck with your hike.
    Good stuff, thanks 👍🏼

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++