Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    What does this mean? The part about not opening high Sierra camps? Are they different from Backcountry campsites like those in Yellowstone, Glacier, etc. ?
    “Yosemite announced they will not be opening any of their high Sierra camps this season due to the snowpack, which as of May 1st was recorded at 176% of normal - putting in on par with 2017’s snowpack: which came in at 177% @ Yosemite.”
    Dazed and confused in the North Carolina Rain Forest.
    Wayne
    Yosemite’s “High Sierra Camps” are a series of backcountry campsites operated by the park- ordinarily open every summer season.

Journal Entries

Meanwhile....
    Little Skittles and friends reached Mammoth Lakes recently.
    Day 59. Mile 903.3.
    https://youtu.be/MfnQrs0V-nY
    I wonder if the folks at Yosemite National Park will allow them to use the Backcountry?
    Wayne
    Wonder how they intend to resupply

Tuolumne store likely not open till late july

And pct hikers are not alliwed by permit to go to yosemite valley. I believe pct permit limits you to 15 mi offtrail to resupply.

But many hikers today dont care about rules. Or are too stupid to know them. Yeah...i met pct hikers in yosemite valley...and at backpackers campground there

"You can travel off the PCT to resupply or access trailheads within 15 trail miles of the PCT. This travel must be done on the most direct trail between the PCT and the trailhead. Long-distance permits do not allow for camping off the PCT corridor, even while traveling to and from trailheads."

https://andrewskurka.com/why-are-thr...e-high-sierra/
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-08-2019 at 13:25.

What does this mean? The part about not opening high Sierra camps? Are they different from Backcountry campsites like those in Yellowstone, Glacier, etc. ?
    “Yosemite announced they will not be opening any of their high Sierra camps this season due to the snowpack, which as of May 1st was recorded at 176% of normal - putting in on par with 2017’s snowpack: which came in at 177% @ Yosemite.”
    Dazed and confused in the North Carolina Rain Forest.
    Wayne
    The High Sierra Camps are like tent versions of the Huts the ATC runs in New Hampshire. If you don't pay, you can't stay there, but there's no prohibition against backcountry camping.

Little Skittles and crew did not go to the Tuolumne store. They hiked to the visitor's center, about a mile down the road from where the store and PO are supposed to be (but weren't) and then they just went back to the trail and continued forward to Sonora Pass. This group is bad-ass.
    Some knew me as Piper, others as just Diane.
    I hiked the PCT: Mexico to Mt. Shasta, 2008. Santa Barbara to Canada, 2009.

The high sierra camps don't really effect a PCT hiker. They are tent camps that paying guest can stay at in a tent cabin on a cot and get served breakfast and dinner while getting a boxed lunch. Unless you reserved a spot months in advance, no PCT hikers will actually stay at one. That said, PCT hikers will camp next to one since there is a pit toliet available. There is nothing to stop a hiker from still camping there even if they don't set up the tents; you'll still see the foundations though.

The only camp PCT hikers actually go past is at Glen Aulin a few miles north of hwy 120 at Tuolumne Meadows. The mileage is too short from the store/grill at Tuolumne Meadows unless you stayed for dinner. I would not count on the store or grill to be open when a typical hiker is going through there as it usually takes a few weeks to setup after the road opens; which is going to be really late this year.

The Sierra including Yosemite, practices dispersed camping, so there is not a specific spot you have to camp in like other national parks like Glacier etc. There are a few restrictions where you can't camp, but those are usually by the road or in heavy use areas near the main valley down below which the PCT doesn't go near.

Where there is a will,
    There is a way!
    They are definitely Bad Ass!
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Wonder how they intend to resupply

Tuolumne store likely not open till late july

And pct hikers are not alliwed by permit to go to yosemite valley. I believe pct permit limits you to 15 mi offtrail to resupply.

But many hikers today dont care about rules. Or are too stupid to know them. Yeah...i met pct hikers in yosemite valley...and at backpackers campground there

"You can travel off the PCT to resupply or access trailheads within 15 trail miles of the PCT. This travel must be done on the most direct trail between the PCT and the trailhead. Long-distance permits do not allow for camping off the PCT corridor, even while traveling to and from trailheads."

https://andrewskurka.com/why-are-thr...e-high-sierra/
    Any thruhikers that has made it through to Toulumne Meadows can easily day hike down to the valley which is 100% legal. No need to camp.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Any thruhikers that has made it through to Toulumne Meadows can easily day hike down to the valley which is 100% legal. No need to camp.

Yosemite does not allow you to day hike with overnight gear. You need a valid wilderness permit for that. And the PCT permit doesn't cover trip to Yosemite valley based on distance.

Right now there would likely be no problem in getting that this time of year. But July is a different story.

But sure some people could leave it with friends, make a run to the valley and take the bus back. But that's not what I witnessed when I was there..... You could just take the bus to the valley. That time of year if you needed to.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-09-2019 at 21:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    The high sierra camps don't really effect a PCT hiker. They are tent camps that paying guest can stay at in a tent cabin on a cot and get served breakfast and dinner while getting a boxed lunch. Unless you reserved a spot months in advance, no PCT hikers will actually stay at one. That said, PCT hikers will camp next to one since there is a pit toliet available. There is nothing to stop a hiker from still camping there even if they don't set up the tents; you'll still see the foundations though.

The only camp PCT hikers actually go past is at Glen Aulin a few miles north of hwy 120 at Tuolumne Meadows. The mileage is too short from the store/grill at Tuolumne Meadows unless you stayed for dinner. I would not count on the store or grill to be open when a typical hiker is going through there as it usually takes a few weeks to setup after the road opens; which is going to be really late this year.

The Sierra including Yosemite, practices dispersed camping, so there is not a specific spot you have to camp in like other national parks like Glacier etc. There are a few restrictions where you can't camp, but those are usually by the road or in heavy use areas near the main valley down below which the PCT doesn't go near.
    Agreed, Just sharing information - i thought others may be interested to know. ✌
    When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world. - John Muir

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++