WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    Maybe not to be discussed in detail, but treated down is a selling point for some, and a point in favor of quilts in a "quilt vs. bag" discussion, IMO. Most bags either have it or not, and I don't know if any of them use Allied Hyperdry. The premium bag makers do not yet offer it(kinda like they were years behind on entering the quilt market), but with made to order quilts it's usually an option. So if you do want it, you can get it.

Both my quilts use 850 Hyperdry goose down, as that was the option at the time vs regular 900 fill. It's not that often that I get to see where the treated down makes a notable difference(and sometimes what difference there is may well be due to the shell material), but the few times I have were when it really mattered, so I'm pretty sold on it. Options are good...
    The high end bag designers like FF, WM, Valandre, and higher end models of Marmot, etc in large part, from what I ascertain, rely more on their higher quality shell and interior fabrics and treatments options rather than hydrophobic downs. They tend to overfill baffles. These manufacturers prolly have established untreated down contracts and manufacturing methods. Buyers of these higher end bags tend to place high value on durability and longevity which makes high purchase cost more acceptable when cost averaged over extended useful lifetimes. hydrophobic downs are yet to establish historical long term durability and possible performance histories which these manufacturers know their customer base esteems highly. And, these manufacturers likely are aware buyers of higher priced bags like they offer likely have a higher educational awareness in maintaining their bag's loft and other performance traits.

I just ordered a 900 hyperdry Katabatic Palisade.

I'll report back on the awesomeness in a few weeks.

6', Regular Width. 17.5 ounces. Im hoping it is as good as everyone says.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Congratulations, there's really nothing better at the moment. It'll spoil other quilts for you, though. Just wait 'til you see what you get for that little extra you spent. If you can compare it side by side, or even in detail pics, with some from other makers(ANY other makers, including Nunatak and the new Western Mountaineering ones), that should really drive the difference home. If you pay attention to the reinforced snap, draft collar, edging and contouring on the back, the overstuffed footbox and its design, the things that set it apart will be glaringly obvious.

I don't know how quickly that Hyperdry 900 lofts up compared to regular 900 or 950 fill in bags that use them, but I've done a lot of reviews and tutorials(I guess for my own entertainment, since noone else ever sees them), and have some pics from "testing" both a partial solid inner and an OR Filament jacket that I thought of.
    I tend to take campsite pictures right after making camp, but sometimes don't until later. Also have a habit of draping my quilt or bag over my shelter in good weather so it's out of the way.
    My Palisade has the older 850 Hyperdry goose down option, but can you tell the difference between the quilt fresh out of the stuff sack, and after being shaken out and sitting for a little while?
    FB_IMG_1551947211810.jpg

FB_IMG_1551947169490.jpg

Rhetorical question, I know

Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. It's still just a "thing", but is probably my only piece of gear that I actually get enthusiastic about(I know it's hard to tell!). Katabatic's stuff reminds me of something one of my old knifemaker buds, Darrel Ralph, used to have on his site: "The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten", and the flip side is certainly true in this case.

Good stuff Owen!

Nice! I'm looking forward to having a quilt that works as part of my whole system. I always fear packed with a warm bag. Im hoping palisade works for me.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++