WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Woody Gap Parking...

Is it secure? Looking to start/stop there and wondering if it is safe.. Checked the site and didn't see anything specific.

Thank you
    "All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment vital and worth living." Martha Graham

I have not parked there in about three years. Prior to that, I have parked there multiple time for several days straight and have never had a problem. It's a very visible/high traffic area.

Pretty safe. Nowhere is completely safe, but I have not heard of any issues at that spot.

Default Risky

Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    Is it secure? Looking to start/stop there and wondering if it is safe.. Checked the site and didn't see anything specific.
    Any trailhead in georgia you are taking a risk--Some of those rednecks just do not like hikers.Heard of a few tire slashings in that area last year.
    Thank you
    I like your Christ,but not your Christians,they are so unlike your Christ. Ghandi

If you're starting from Amicalola and ending at Woody, that's only a few days and I wouldn't hesitate to park there. If you're planning a longer stretch SOBO or are starting a longer stretch NOBO, I think you'd be okay going 5-6 days without issue. The parking lot is full most weekends and every time I've been there during the week, there are a few section hikers (I'm assuming) parked.

Default Woody Gap Parking...

I park there often for 1-3 days and never had a problem. The biggest problem with Woody Gap is the crowding...it fills to max on many weekends and I've been forced, more than once, to change my weekend plans and park elsewhere. There really isn't another good alternative parking overflow near Woody so you either get in or you don't.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mockernut View Post
    I park there often for 1-3 days and never had a problem. The biggest problem with Woody Gap is the crowding...it fills to max on many weekends and I've been forced, more than once, to change my weekend plans and park elsewhere. There really isn't another good alternative parking overflow near Woody so you either get in or you don't.

So hitting it Monday would be better than say a Friday or Saturday afternoon?
    "All that is important is this one moment in movement. Make the moment vital and worth living." Martha Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Pak-Man View Post
    So hitting it Monday would be better than say a Friday or Saturday afternoon?
    It depends on how quickly you want to get going. Even if the lot is full, if you wait a bit, something will open up. There's always someone there just to use the restroom, or drop someone off, or pick someone up, or just hang out for a while.

If getting parked and on trail quickly is important to you, and you're starting on Saturday or Sunday, get there early (8:00am) and you should be fine. On one recent weekend trip I parked in one of the last available spaces at the Byron Reece lot around 8:30am, shuttled to Woody Gap by ~9:00am, and there were plenty of spaces available.

During the week, I can't imagine you will have a problem any time of day.

++ New Posts ++