Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast

EPISODE 20: Mile 100.
    Is up at YouTube.
    Well done!
    Wayne

I’ve been having a hard time finding many VLOGgers that I like this year. Second Chance is really the only genuine guy out there that I’ve found and I like. Yeah he laughs at himself a little, and he’s not an expert on everything about being on the trail. But...he’s genuine. He’s out there enjoying his hike. And I mean ACTUALLY ENJOYING being out on the trail.

It is interesting how he seems to be overly cautious in some situations and almost cavalier in others where I would be the opposite. But he chuckles thru it and keeps driving on.

To me, he’s already been a success. Everything from here on out is icing on the cake.

As for the negative comments on his channel: that’s why I don’t read the comments on channels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of a kind for sure.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

That was nice to watch, good for Cory.

What I remember about that spot was celebrating the 100 mile mark, and then there was another 100 miles written in stones, and then another, and another. There must have been about six of them spread over half a mile. I did a little dance at each one figuring one of them must be correct.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

EPISODE 8100: Mile 0

Quote Originally Posted by sketcher709 View Post
    It's sad that people can not be more positive. This guy seems to have a decent head on his shoulders, he knows he's overweight and out of shape. He has a great attitude. He's willing to take advice and get off the trail when he needs to do it to be safe. If he stayed on the trail when it is cold or rainy then people would say he is behaving dangerously because he is inexperienced, if he gets off the trail then some deride him because he gets off the trail when the conditions get a little tough. His condition and stamina are improving. He does not carry the negativity and cynicism that some of you display here. He will learn how to deal with weather if he does not get injured and he is doing it just the right way, in little bits. The last time I saw it mentioned, he had lost 35 pounds and that was relatively quickly. Yep, he loaded up on junk food. He might figure that out as he goes but show me that 9 out of 10 hikers don't eat crap and show me where the resupply points are with the healthy hiker food in abundance- light calories are often contained in that crap so people justify it that way. Don't even get me going on the insinuation that because some can't figure out his video timelines that he is not doing the trail as he says he is. Disgusting. There certainly people out there doing the vlogging for attention, creating drama and yellow blazing and lying about it but there is not one scrap of suggesting that this is what this fellow is all about. I love these videos because this guy is not guarded, he seems impervious to the people who judge him for everything and set him up for failure right off the bat ,as can be seen right here in this thread. Why not look for the positive instead of the negative? This guy has already done more than many.
    I agree with everything you say, but let keep in mind that the grand majority of the comments are positive and encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    EPISODE 20: Mile 100.
    Is up at YouTube.
    Well done!
    Wayne
    Episode 20 is the best, and the PCT is so beautiful. I wish to be there one day.

26 days, 100 miles
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    26 days, 100 miles
    Well, it's progress. Maddingly slow progress, but still progress.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I don't care how long it takes him I cried and laughed with him today.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    26 days, 100 miles
    So? He's out there having a positive experience. That's what the trail is for.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

It’s 26 days and 100 miles more than I’ve done on the PCT.

He has a great attitude, he's out on the trail while I'm sitting here in my apartment typing on my computer, he put out a useful video about snow conditions that could help a lot of hikers, and he seems to be getting in better shape. Of course I'm rooting for him. At the same time, I think he's in for some difficulties with water as the temperatures rise and his mileage will necessitate very long water carries unless he's supported. And I think anyone who is so public in their hike understands that the peanut gallery will be offering advice, solicited or not, especially those of us who have hiked the PCT in Southern California. Seems to me that he's smart enough to know his limits and understand the water situation and he should be fine. I'm more concerned that he'll have to end his hike in disappointment rather than be in physical danger. He's too smart to embark on some long waterless section without adequate water and get himself in big trouble. Bottom line: he's on trail and I can't be even though I'd love to be out there right now! So, best of luck to him!

He's a real likeable guy. Smiles and laughs a lot. I'd like to see him reach a stage where he does less videotaping and more quiet observing of that beautiful country.

My shuttle driver in Georgia told me of a man he once shuttled who was so heavy, he only managed a mile or so per day, at the start. But he made it all the way to Katahdin. He sent a photo of himself holding the pants he had when he started, and "You could have fit three of him inside."

Quote Originally Posted by greenpete View Post
    He's a real likeable guy. Smiles and laughs a lot. I'd like to see him reach a stage where he does less videotaping and more quiet observing of that beautiful country.

My shuttle driver in Georgia told me of a man he once shuttled who was so heavy, he only managed a mile or so per day, at the start. But he made it all the way to Katahdin. He sent a photo of himself holding the pants he had when he started, and "You could have fit three of him inside."
    That's a great story. On my section last year, I encountered a girl in the Smokies who was really inspiring. She would be the last one into the shelter, often near dark when everybody was beginning to settle down. And she'd be one of the first gone in the morning to do it all over again. I'd pass her along the way and she was really struggling, sometimes to the point of tears. But she kept at it. I kept tabs on her hike via her Instagram and she made it nearly half way. I thought that showed a lot of strength on her part.
    It is what it is.

Episode 21 released a couple minutes ago.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Episode 21 released a couple minutes ago.
    Wayne
    Got to love it when he starts doing the monologue from Braveheart about 7 min. in.

Two comments;

1) I think that Second Chance is demonstrating that what matter most on trail is a positive attitude. This hike is an obvious physical challenge for him - likely more than for most - yet he is still out there, logging miles, enjoying it, and letting us arm-chair backpackers experience the trail vicariously.

2) On my reckoning, Second Chance is losing just over a pound a day. At this rate, he may disappear before he reaches Canada!
    (trailname: Paul-from-Scotland)

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    Two comments;

1) I think that Second Chance is demonstrating that what matter most on trail is a positive attitude. This hike is an obvious physical challenge for him - likely more than for most - yet he is still out there, logging miles, enjoying it, and letting us arm-chair backpackers experience the trail vicariously.

2) On my reckoning, Second Chance is losing just over a pound a day. At this rate, he may disappear before he reaches Canada!
    35lbs in 28 days and 100+ miles. He's doing what he set out to achieve...let's hope he's changing his pre-trail attitude towards food for when he gets off the trail

What I like most about this man is his almost childlike enjoyment of the small things he is seeing and doing along the way. Whether it's a rock, a small stream, or a herd of cows in the distance, he gets excited. That's the way to hike.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++