Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Default Second Chance Hiker Takes on the PCT: 200 lbs Overweight

Just like the Native Americans in Dancing With Wolves

[
    QUOTE=futureatwalker;2241694]Two comments;

2) On my reckoning, Second Chance is losing just over a pound a day. At this rate, he may disappear before he reaches Canada![/QUOTE]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    What I like most about this man is his almost childlike enjoyment of the small things he is seeing and doing along the way. Whether it's a rock, a small stream, or a herd of cows in the distance, he gets excited. That's the way to hike.
    AGREED

I have all my doubts for his long term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss but I wish him well.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    Two comments;

1) I think that Second Chance is demonstrating that what matter most on trail is a positive attitude. This hike is an obvious physical challenge for him - likely more than for most - yet he is still out there, logging miles, enjoying it, and letting us arm-chair backpackers experience the trail vicariously.

2) On my reckoning, Second Chance is losing just over a pound a day. At this rate, he may disappear before he reaches Canada!
    According to photos and dates posted on Instagram: Jan. 30: Border Monument to March 5: Warner Springs = 35 pounds in 35 days.
    Warner Springs to Idyllwild is unaccounted for at this time.
    Keep on truckin!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    AGREED

I have all my doubts for his long term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss but I wish him well.
    As do I ...

but it is worth pointing out that one should have doubts about ANYONE having long-term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss.

For weight loss through an endeavour like this one, the problem is, most people eventually have to come home, off the trail. You can't maintain such an intense calorie burn indefinitely. You have to go back home, back to work, etc, and you won't be limited to the food you can carry. Plus your body may give out. Bottom line: eventually the extreme exercise ends.

For weight lost through diet, the problem is that diets are inherently limited in duration. As soon as you go off of them (and many/most people do, upon reaching their weight loss goal), the weight creeps back. Only a permanent lifestyle change is going to keep the weight off. You might be able to add a few calories back to maintain your lower weight (rather than continue to be in a deficit position), but that becomes a slippery slope to returning to old habits.

It's hard to do. I hope his body holds up so he can keep hiking. Upon return home, he'll have to have another strategy, most likely involving controlling caloric intake, because he's not likely to be able to hike much of the day, as he has been.
    Last edited by Time Zone; 03-24-2019 at 17:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    As do I ...

but it is worth pointing out that one should have doubts about ANYONE having long-term success in achieving and maintaining weight loss.

For weight loss through an endeavour like this one, the problem is, most people eventually have to come home, off the trail. You can't maintain such an intense calorie burn indefinitely. You have to go back home, back to work, etc, and you won't be limited to the food you can carry. Plus your body may give out. Bottom line: eventually the extreme exercise ends.

For weight lost through diet, the problem is that diets are inherently limited in duration. As soon as you go off of them (and many/most people do, upon reaching their weight loss goal), the weight creeps back. Only a permanent lifestyle change is going to keep the weight off. You might be able to add a few calories back to maintain your lower weight (rather than continue to be in a deficit position), but that becomes a slippery slope to returning to old habits.

It's hard to do. I hope his body holds up so he can keep hiking. Upon return home, he'll have to have another strategy, most likely involving controlling caloric intake, because he's not likely to be able to hike much of the day, as he has been.
    Saved me from typing it.

Quote Originally Posted by futureatwalker View Post
    I think that Second Chance is demonstrating... positive attitude This hike is an obvious physical challenge for him - likely more than for most - yet he is still out there, logging miles, enjoying it, and letting us arm-chair backpackers experience the trail vicariously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    What I like most about this man is his almost childlike enjoyment of the small things he is seeing and doing along the way. Whether it's a rock, a small stream, or a herd of cows in the distance, he gets excited. That's the way to hike.
    Agreed. He's in the moment, curious like a child.

I’m so far behind on watching his videos, need to catch up.

I don’t care how much he weighs, or if he can keep his weight off—well, I wish him luck. I just enjoy watching his excitement and curiosity and joy. When it comes to HYOH, I want to hike with him. To look, to see, to see what you see. To bubble about it and laugh.

Will you all still love him as much when he's skinny and sporting a jawline that could cut steel? Being round and bubbly is disarming to a lot of folks. Ruben Studdard, Jonah Hill, Fat Luther V>Skinny Luther V.
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Will you all still love him as much when he's skinny and sporting a jawline that could cut steel? Being round and bubbly is disarming to a lot of folks. Ruben Studdard, Jonah Hill, Fat Luther V>Skinny Luther V.
    It'd not his looks that grab people. It is his attitude.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

A quote from the latest video posted a few minutes ago:
    "It's 3 pm. 3 miles."
    All the best to you!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I have to admit that Cory has shamed me with this video. I walked by that hiker-trashed building last summer, cursed the animals who dumped their trash there, then kept on walking. Despite all the weight Second Chance has to carry, he took it upon himself to pack some of the crap out with him. He is of course is right. If every PCT hiker that passes by that ****-hole this summer does the same thing, the place would be cleaned by June.

I have been schooled by a better man.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Ditto! He is an example that there are good people among us.

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    I have to admit that Cory has shamed me with this video. ... I have been schooled by a better man.
    Really? Have you never picked up a piece of garbage on the trail? Have you never moved a fallen branch off the trail? Second Chance selected two pieces weighing a total of less than one ounce.

It's not shame worhy behavior. It's just good trail behavior practiced by many.

Images

Sure, I've trucked out random pieces of garbage. But the amount of trash at the particular location was so overwhelming, I just hiked on. Rather than give up, Second Chance immediately saw that a little bit of effort from many hikers could rectify the situation. I am impressed by that, and wished I had done the same. It was meant as a compliment.

Anyway, that spot is close to the road going SOBO and would be more easily cleaned up by hikers heading in that direction or someone who is local.

John Greenleaf Whittier

He’s back.....Episode 23.
    Wayne

Remember when you say Someone should do something, YOU ARE SOMEONE!

Images

Some nice self reflection at the end of the most recent video. The trail has a way of doing that to you. Looking forward to the next installment.

John Greenleaf Whittier

He confirmed what I have been thinking for awhile.
    Good that he is OUT! And About!
    Very glad that he is crossing sketchy streams with his boots on!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I watched the first 4 minutes just now, which is about all I can do-I make videos for my parents all the time, try to keep it under a minute at a time, and can hardly watch my own stuff if it gets close to 3.
    I got really tickled at what he considers "fast-moving and dangerous" water, though. Reminded me of what great lengths I went to to keep my feet dry when I first started backpacking. No telling how much time I wasted looking for other ways across, rather than just walking through.

Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++