Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post
    Why does my start date have to be in May? I'd love to meet this guy.
    Good chance you might catch up or meet him if he's still on the PCT?

Second Chance's videos are a refreshing change from the norm. Find myself pulling for him.

He doesn't seem to have enough outdoors savvy to make it. When he reapplied with junk food I thought he was sticking with eating habits that got him to 387. He had ramen and said he had no way of heating it up. Hot mug of chow on a cold wet night could be pretty good. Water, both too much and too little, is gonna be his downfall. But I am pulling for him.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by randy.shopher View Post
    He doesn't seem to have enough outdoors savvy to make it. When he reapplied with junk food I thought he was sticking with eating habits that got him to 387. He had ramen and said he had no way of heating it up. Hot mug of chow on a cold wet night could be pretty good. Water, both too much and too little, is gonna be his downfall. But I am pulling for him.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    He's got the same experience as alot of PCT hikers nowadays. Many start the trail and its their first backpacking trip.

And you can cold soak ramen. Hot food isnt necessary for survival.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

You and I and most of the world know you can cold soak ramen and any other food.
    He apparently doesn’t know.
    My thought: He’s never been outside for this long. If ever.
    Indoors. Junk food. Is how he got to 400 pounds.
    He watched a few videos. He mentioned Darwin on the trail. Then decided that hiking the PCT would rid him of the excess weight.
    That’s all folks.
    10 mile and 8 mile days since leaving Mt. Laguna. Downhill.
    Downhill to mile 75. Then a climb.
    It’s interesting.
    Wayne

Images

Second Chance is Learning.
    He has friends.
    He's not going to starve our there.
    His water management skills are going to be a huge concern once things warm up.
    What happens when he has to go up Mount San Jacinto and down Fuller Ridge is going to be interesting.
    He has a willingness to retreat, which is a life-saving quality.
    I hope that a more experienced hiker teams up with him for San Jacinto, I do not think he should be alone up there this time of year.
    This story may end before Canada, but I would argue that for him his hike is already a great success.
    Cheering him on.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Second Chance is Learning.
    He has friends.
    He's not going to starve our there.
    His water management skills are going to be a huge concern once things warm up.
    What happens when he has to go up Mount San Jacinto and down Fuller Ridge is going to be interesting.
    He has a willingness to retreat, which is a life-saving quality.
    I hope that a more experienced hiker teams up with him for San Jacinto, I do not think he should be alone up there this time of year.
    This story may end before Canada, but I would argue that for him his hike is already a great success.
    Cheering him on.
    Exactly. He has already exceeded any reasonable person's expectations. Good for him.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Two thumbs up for Second Chance!
    Another Hiker started about the same time as Second Chance. The recent snow at elevation got the best of him. He bailed temporarily.
    Details on YouTube.
    Wayne

ahh, there are some of us that need to get out ourselves.

I love this hiker! He’s doin’ it all wrong and he’s doin’ it with a smile.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    I love this hiker! He’s doin’ it all wrong and he’s doin’ it with a smile.
    I agree. It’s just Crazy.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

it feels genuine (so far) ... I sort of wish people would leave him to his own devices and not check on him or wait for him at trailheads
    Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    it feels genuine (so far) ... I sort of wish people would leave him to his own devices and not check on him or wait for him at trailheads
    That kind of adoptive, trail angel behavior seems to be common along these lone trails. Especially in the more inhospitable envious of the PCT & CDT.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Yeah, I know, I know. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    That kind of adoptive, trail angel behavior seems to be common along these lone trails. Especially in the more inhospitable envious of the PCT & CDT.
    Wayne
    Let me go

Yeah, I know, I know. :-)
    Sarcasm:
    Start a Twitter Storm. "#LeaveSecondChanceAlone!"

It's all good. He seems to be thriving on the attention he is getting from his videos.
    My only comment: Point the camera at the scenery.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I'm rooting for him.

Remember that water is expelled as perspiration to cool the body. Guys that big make a lot of heat which means they use lots of water. If he can make it under 300lbs without injury, he has a good chance IMO. Very positive to see him getting double digit days.

New episode up on YouTube.
    No spoilers from me.
    Wayne

Journal Entries

You dont post vids of yourself on youtube unless you crave attention.

I don't watch that crap, but I watched a couple of minutes of this guy. So far he has a good attitude and that counts for a lot. Whatever he's doing, he's enjoying himself, so good for him.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-04-2019 at 22:27.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I watched most of what is online.
    He was in a plain cabin. Full of take out food. I’m guessing the burger place in Morena. He won’t be loosing weight.
    Day 10. Mile 26.
    Day 10-11-12: Visit to REI and more restaurants.
    He’s well funded. Or he won’t be on the trail much longer.
    Recommend:
    Seeking Lost. The Metalbackpacker. 2018 CDT THRU.
    Cheers!
    Wayne
    The latest video he is taking another zero day or 2. If it rains zero day, if it snows/sleets zero day, no water zero day, if it is windy zero day, what happens when it gets hot and stays hot? He no longer shows his food because he knows he is getting hammered online for it, but did show a couple diners. So he lost no weight in the last video either. Then he rejects help from the cop then complains about being cold and not knowing how to get off the mountain. Seems he likes manufacturing drama for himself or for social media attention. I dont think it is about money because no normal hiker could afford what he is doing. He is entertaining to watch but I fear this is leading to him getting badly hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt0556 View Post
    The latest video he is taking another zero day or 2. If it rains zero day, if it snows/sleets zero day, no water zero day, if it is windy zero day, what happens when it gets hot and stays hot? He no longer shows his food because he knows he is getting hammered online for it, but did show a couple diners. So he lost no weight in the last video either. Then he rejects help from the cop then complains about being cold and not knowing how to get off the mountain. Seems he likes manufacturing drama for himself or for social media attention. I dont think it is about money because no normal hiker could afford what he is doing. He is entertaining to watch but I fear this is leading to him getting badly hurt.
    Plenty of hikers afford what hes doing.

And then run out of money 500 miles in.

Define "normal".

Maybe hes got 20k stacked for this journey. All the power to him. I doubt its about money or fame.

A few people caught onto his story and it exploded. If you look at his instagram.. he has thousands of followers already with a bleak instagram.

His youtube? Dixie brought him up. So thousands of her viewers subscribed to him.

I think he is genuine. Went out there and was like wth.. if im gonna do this weight loss journey then i might as well document it.

And within a week he had thousands of followers.

He needs to take zeros. Its not even PCT Nobo season yet. He reiterates he doesnt want to injure himself.

The weight loss will come. Its a good thing its not melting off of him. Some will be converted to muscle. He should try to eat well though and avoid soda. He should be eating lean meats and vegetables to keep from getting sick. And hyrdrating like a camel.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++