Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Plenty of hikers afford what hes doing.

And then run out of money 500 miles in.

Define "normal".

Maybe hes got 20k stacked for this journey. All the power to him. I doubt its about money or fame.

A few people caught onto his story and it exploded. If you look at his instagram.. he has thousands of followers already with a bleak instagram.

His youtube? Dixie brought him up. So thousands of her viewers subscribed to him.

I think he is genuine. Went out there and was like wth.. if im gonna do this weight loss journey then i might as well document it.

And within a week he had thousands of followers.

He needs to take zeros. Its not even PCT Nobo season yet. He reiterates he doesnt want to injure himself.

The weight loss will come. Its a good thing its not melting off of him. Some will be converted to muscle. He should try to eat well though and avoid soda. He should be eating lean meats and vegetables to keep from getting sick. And hyrdrating like a camel.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Agreed - I think the weight will and probably already has started losing a good bit of weight. When you got 200 to lose the first lots of weight is hard to see the progress. I believe in him
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

After his trip from Mt. Laguna to Julian and his time in Julian, my money is on weight ++ since Campo.
    I hope I’m wrong.
    Wayne

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    When you got 200 to lose the first lots of weight is hard to see the progress. I believe in him
    i dont know about being 400 lbs and wanting to lose 200, but what i do know, which is probably relevant, is this-

when you're 280lbs getting down to 230-240 is quick and very noticeable immediately. getting from 230 down to 190, not so much. i went from 280 to about 185 in 11 months. the first 3 months were 280-220, 220 to 185 was the subsequent 8 months.

based on my experience if hes walking 10 miles a day and staying at a constant weight its because he is eating the same he always did. if he was eating less and exercising that much a day weight would fall off fast, thered be no need to give it time.

I think his big issue is going to be water given his pace. He will be in Southern California for a long time, probably into May at his pace. I don't see how he can possibly do the longer water carries without assistance. However, his following on YouTube might cause enough attention so that people want to help him out by caching water for him.

I think he's genuine as well and hope he gets what he's looking for from the PCT.

Images

He is losing weight people. Compare his 'before' and 'after' photos from his FB page.

Screen Shot 2019-03-01 at 5.58.20 PM.png
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Good for him. Also, he might not make it to Canada because that isn't his goal.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Seems he would change his eating habits if he wants to loss weight. I dont think any good is going to come of this. I think attention is what he truely wants and it may get him hurt or worse. All those utube followers are like people yelling jump to a suicide jumper. Whats sad is most of those utubers wouldnt give this guy the time of day in real life.

I hope you underestimate the hiking family. However, I fear he is in for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Newt0556 View Post
    Seems he would change his eating habits if he wants to loss weight. I dont think any good is going to come of this. I think attention is what he truely wants and it may get him hurt or worse. All those utube followers are like people yelling jump to a suicide jumper. Whats sad is most of those utubers wouldnt give this guy the time of day in real life.
    An old timer once told me...its just walkin. Right?

Second Chance passed Eagle Rock today on his way to Warner Springs. No details.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Newt0556 View Post
    A need to do what is hard is in our DNA. He's living instead of on the couch watching Netflix. I'm cheering him on. He's probably never done anything this hard before.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Second Chance passed Eagle Rock today on his way to Warner Springs. No details.
    Wayne
    If he's just past Eagle Rock and day 20 was in Julian, he's gone about 150 miles in about 15 days. Hope he reaches whatever goals he has set for himself. I admire a person that doesn't just say "I wish" or "I can't" but actually goes out and tries.

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    If he's just past Eagle Rock and day 20 was in Julian, he's gone about 150 miles in about 15 days. Hope he reaches whatever goals he has set for himself. I admire a person that doesn't just say "I wish" or "I can't" but actually goes out and tries.
    He is in Warner Springs. Isn’t that Mile 108 ish?
    Throw in a few hitches. There’s little documentation of actual miles hiked.
    He’s outdoors. He’s having fun. Thru hiking? Maybe. Maybe not. “It just doesn’t matter!”
    Wayne

I went thru Julian on my motorcycle last year, but hadn't heard of Eagle Rock. Google Maps gave me distance to the town of Eagle Rock CA, not the Eagle Rock on the trail.

I went thru Julian on my motorcycle last year, but hadn't heard of Eagle Rock. Google Maps gave me distance to the town of Eagle Rock CA, not the Eagle Rock on the trail.
    Cory posted a selfie on Instagram with Eagle Rock looming over him.
    He was there.
    Wayne

I have a found a google earth overlay with actually mileage(every mile) marked on it for the PCT. Go to the PCT assoc. Website look at maps it is the second overlay for goggle earth. Now looking at utube vids and Instagram this is what we worked out at hooters tonight over beer. so I maybe off a little someone can fact check.

He got off it looks like at mile 58 for julian instead of mile 77. He got off feb 19 got back on feb 21 Instagram post sunrise hwy blocked that confirms he got off around mile 58. SO the first half he did 58 miles in 20 days counting the zero day. That comes to 2.9 miles per day. But that is total days we dont know exactly how many 0 days he took. The second half from feb 21 mile 58 to today via his last Instagram post warner springs mile 109 that is 51 miles in 13 days. Making it 3.9 miles a day. Again we dont know how many 0 days he is taking. Its alot though.

Next thing utube is posting vids with a delay. On Instagram it looks like he is handling that and it seems to be up to date real time.
    Just look at all his Instagram posts and the dates it looks right with the mileage.

But looking ahead on the over lay it looks like there is less water in the up coming sections. The dr that was with us tonight said a 400 pound would drop alot of water weight fast and I suspect that is what has happen. As far as real weight i just dont think he is moving fast enough and eating properly to loss much. Loss of that water weight doesnt bold well for him in the upcoming sections. I suspect he has no idea how to properly hydrate for desert conditions. If it is getting warmer he maybe in for some real trouble soon.

As someone who has hiked at 340lbs I assure you that being a plus sized hiker who is out of shape is vastly more difficult than most people can imagine. He is burning far more calories than you think just by virtue of his size and lack of efficiency due to his level of fitness. It looks to me like he's got a good attitude and is being careful about not hurting himself and I wish him nothing but the best!

My real concern is water for him. He says he's drinking about 2L per mile (at my own larger size I was going through about 1L per mile but I had a higher level of fitness than he did at the start of his hike.) I saw him twice relying on rain water to replenish his supply and that just really scares me. What on earth would he have done if it didn't rain? I doubt that he could hike 3-4 miles without water. I hope he is smart and bypasses long stretches of trail that would require big water carries for normal hikers.

Eagle Rock is a few trail miles south of Warner Springs, not Julian. No sign on the road for it that I know of; at least there didn't use to be.

I think his goal is to lose 200 pounds not complete a thru hike. Is so he would be better off to skip the long dry stretches. But that is just the opinion of an old man with heart problems that couldn't walk 100 yards without resting at least once along the way.

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++