Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Who cares what a bunch of kids in an REI say? Calling it the weight watchers trail and now everything is out ofnl control? Thats ridiculous.

Any real hiker would motivate this guy to keep going. He wants it.

Every successful thru hiker has pushed past limits they shouldnt have.

Otherwise.. you wont finish.

People on the AT and PCT do way stupier stunts every year... ever hear of the 24/24/24 challenge? Maybe the PCTA should do something about that...

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk
    What is the 24/24/24 challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by Newt0556 View Post
    ........ I agree he needs to be watched for his own safety but not helped at all. The quicker he is off this the better for everyone especially the PCTA. ..........
    Cut the guy some slack. The trail is there for everyone who wants to give it try. He is obese but not stupid. He knows his limits.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Pretty sure it’s 24 beers, in 24 hours, while hiking 24 miles

Quote Originally Posted by Newt0556 View Post
    Well it isnt all peaches and cream in the real world. I was in REI today and there was a small group actually talking about this. In fairness the group was the young, chest beating type. I asked a rei rep. about it after the group left seems this isnt getting very positive feed back. He said the PCT is now being called the "weight watchers trail". This is slowly turning into a real ***** show. Someone up in the comments said they hoped that hikers are watching him. I agree he needs to be watched for his own safety but not helped at all. The quicker he is off this the better for everyone especially the PCTA. I bet the PCTA donations shrink over this social media stunt. I wonder if the PCTA even knows this is going on.

Another thing I would take his mile's claim with a grain of salt. He says one thing but the map, laying down on the trail comments and his zero days tell another story. I suspect these long mile days is more about him getting to a zero day. I sure hope he doesnt get hurt. But the longer this drags out the more likely he does.
    This took an express trip to the top 5 strangest and most ridiculous posts I've ever read here.

Grandma Gatewood thru-hiked the AT without shelter, stove, water filter, sleeping bag, map, or many other pieces of gear we - and those kids at REI - wouldn't dream of going on a long hike without. On her first attempt she went SOBO, got lost and stood a good chance of dying if rangers hadn't found her. But today she is lauded as a hero and an inspiration. Which she is - but she also hiked in a way many of us would consider reckless.

My only concern with questionably prepared, youtube-famous hikers like Second Chance is that their popularity and visibility may encourage others to think they don't need to know some basics before impulsively setting off on a solo hike. I similarly worry about the youtube icons who say they never camped overnight in their lives until their first night on the trail. But that's just me being a worry wart. I'm not in charge of the trail or the people hiking it.

With YouTube and the likes of Dixie, Darwin,Bigfoot et al hikers should be knowledgeable before they set out. There is a bounty of information out there.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by randy.shopher View Post
    With YouTube and the likes of Dixie, Darwin,Bigfoot et al hikers should be knowledgeable before they set out. There is a bounty of information out there.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    And he's a big fan of Darwin so it's not like he's gone in blind. I'm pretty sure he did enough research and watched enough videos to get a pretty realistic idea of what to do and expect. Starting January 31st was him already being prepared and planning for the future. The guy has put his foot where his mouth is and is actually doing it rather than being an internet hiker and wishing he could "do what that other guy is doing". I think he's being very safe and always prepared to retreat and backtrack if he needs to...probably more than any of us would and then we'd be putting ourselves more at risk than he is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    The guy has put his foot where his mouth is and is actually doing it rather than being an internet hiker and wishing he could "do what that other guy is doing". I think he's being very safe and always prepared to retreat and backtrack if he needs to...probably more than any of us would and then we'd be putting ourselves more at risk than he is doing.
    LOL ... when I've done that, it's never been followed with praise for doing a good thing!

The videos are put together by an off trail editor. Similar to the way Dixie works during her hikes.
    At least he has a thru hike quality backpack and tent. And I think I saw a JetBoil in an earlier video.
    I’m just gobsmacked by his unfamiliarity with the outdoors and being by himself.
    Meanwhile, The Metalbackpacker, Trail name Famous, has posted videos through Idaho of his 2018 thru hike. For a different experience.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    LOL ... when I've done that, it's never been followed with praise for doing a good thing!
    Ha ha...I couldn't think of the correct phrase we usually use....but I guess it's "money where his mouth is"

I enjoy second chance videos and wish him the best. Agreed very concerned about his ability to carry enough water for hydration. I think he is bright and in tune enough to do a flip flop of some type if terrain and weather / water conditions are too hostile. He appears to have very good gear and an exceptionally good attitude. He doesn’t have to do an end to end thru hike to have a successful journey. In fact, he’s already a success in my book. Would I do it differently? Of course! As would each of you. But...

HE’S OUT THERE!

he hasn't posted in 3 days. I binge watched all his videos so I don't really know how frequently he posts.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I have to say, his videos are more fun to watch than many others. I have a lot of respect for him just in the fact that he's out there hiking and I'm still at home plowing snow and reading WhiteBlaze.

Some of you seem to have read pmag's classic article on the subject, and thought he was being serious....

https://pmags.com/hike-my-hike-damn-it-hmhdi

Quote Originally Posted by bighammer View Post
    I have to say, his videos are more fun to watch than many others. I have a lot of respect for him just in the fact that he's out there hiking and I'm still at home plowing snow and reading WhiteBlaze.
    he seems to really appreciate the solitude and the beauty he is experiencing. I wish him well. But having been around people with "weight issues" all of my professional career, his weight problems will not end if/when he loses the weight on the trail. His issues will likely reignite even more after he stops hiking. But who knows, maybe while hiking he will redirect his life to create lifelong healthy habits including better, healthy food choices.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    he hasn't posted in 3 days. I binge watched all his videos so I don't really know how frequently he posts.
    6 days ago he posted a still photo on Instagram from Warner Springs. The last video had him camped south of Warner Springs, in other words, before he arrived in Warner Springs.
    It's difficult to follow his timeline.
    I was just watching live video from an eagle's nest at Big Bear Lake, California. Frozen precipitation and violent winds. I guess that weather is headed toward the desert.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

He just posted a video from Idyllwild on YouTube.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

YouTube interview RE: Snow conditions above Idyllwild.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMhFfPPxReM

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

Wayne
    A really interesting journalist-y twist. And it indirectly addresses the criticism that he is unprepared and lacks knowledge. Savvy.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post

Wayne
    Thank you Wayne.

Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 17 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++