Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Images

Wayne, I believe that spot is where the Spitler Trail drops down off the ridge. To follow the PCT he was correct to go straight uphill. Last year the trail was closed beyond that point.
    DSC08437.jpg
    DSC08436.jpg
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Thanks!
    Looks like the detour should be followed this year. Until the snow and ice are gone.
    No worries. Cory is beyond San Jacinto now. You would never know if from the videos. It’s like watching Pulp Fiction.
    I hope he gets the message to bypass Baden Powell.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by ant View Post
    I've refrained from commenting thus far but I gotta say, he's more than a bit of a wimp. I think this quality will be his biggest challenge. Every minor "ouchie" seems to be a huge deal and there's a constant theme of "not pushing" himself. Yes, he's out there, yes he's obese and everything is harder, but one might argue that this mentality of being wimpy may have gotten him into his current shape. Yes, yes, many factors contribute to overeating/overweight persons. Spare me the sanctimoniousness please. It's a bit disheartening that unless you're cheerleading this guy constantly you're flamed for any criticism. I watch all the episodes, I enjoy him and his journey. These are just my observations and my concerns. I don't see him doing well in the mountains or crossing the desert. Based on the latest episode, I don't see him going much further period until the snow and ice is gone. He went half a mile.
    I agree; with all the support he is getting still he's limping along basking in the well wishing. Much more impressive are those who trudge along without trying to find groupies which we see too much of on youtube.

I’m trying to be reserved. It is true that I can’t relate to the fear of what I consider benign but I’m leaving space for audience that can relate better than me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Let me go

I just saw a beginning of his new video ... is he really skipping “the mountains”?

Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I just saw a beginning of his new video ... is he really skipping “the mountains”?

Kobzol, he did the bypass around San Jacinto. His next high peak is Mount Banden Powell. We will see what happens there. After that another 300 miles or so to the Sierras. Hopefully Second Chance will be stronger, and the conditions more favorable by the time he gets there.

John Greenleaf Whittier

His videos are WAY behind REALITY. Cory is somewhere between San Jacinto and probably Big Bear. Difficult to tell with his haphazard reporting.
    I don’t have all of the story RE: San Jacinto yet.
    I do know that hikers are being asked to road walk around Baden Powell. Crunchmaster’s videos are where I got that information.
    Wayne

https://thetrek.co/second-chance-hiker/?ref=slider

There is a podcast with him that is done the day he is retreating (wisely) off the mountain. I believe it is made later in the same day of the last video to come out. Worth a listen for sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    His videos are WAY behind REALITY. Cory is somewhere between San Jacinto and probably Big Bear. Difficult to tell with his haphazard reporting.
    I don’t have all of the story RE: San Jacinto yet.
    I do know that hikers are being asked to road walk around Baden Powell. Crunchmaster’s videos are where I got that information.
    Wayne
    I saw a post that made me believe Second Chance has left Big Bear. Mt. Banden Powell is something like 110 miles past Big Bear, so he ought to be reaching there in a week or so.

John Greenleaf Whittier

What a difference a week makes.
    A group of hikers summit Baden Powell.
    https://youtu.be/7avObdtBP0I
    Wayne

A long thru hike isn't really a good way to lose weight Imho. Trail food isn't really healthy food, plus there are the food challenges along the way. I watch quite a bit of hiking videos on YouTube and have noticed that the fitness of the current hiking population resembles the overall population. Many are surprisingly chubby.

When his hike is over he will have to go back to his routine life, not having learned new habits. He might be better off day hiking and establishing new healthy habits before taking on a longer hike.

Hope he makes it though. Hope he still enjoys the outdoors.

I just saw episode 36 of his videos. I hate to sound like a detractor, but he has done 210 miles in 57 days. That figures out to less than 4 miles per day (yes, I know zero days are included in the 57 days). Now, I have never hiked the PCT, but hope to do some long sections when I finish the AT. So, his progress leaves me wondering. Is the PCT that tough? I mean, he's been out there two months now, and I would have thought his mileage would be picking up, but this latest episode had him hiking only 7 miles. The larger question is - can he logically finish the trail at this pace?
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I just saw episode 36 of his videos. I hate to sound like a detractor, but he has done 210 miles in 57 days. That figures out to less than 4 miles per day (yes, I know zero days are included in the 57 days). Now, I have never hiked the PCT, but hope to do some long sections when I finish the AT. So, his progress leaves me wondering. Is the PCT that tough? I mean, he's been out there two months now, and I would have thought his mileage would be picking up, but this latest episode had him hiking only 7 miles. The larger question is - can he logically finish the trail at this pace?
    If doesn't, as the Cubs used to say, "their is always next year".
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I enjoy reading the comments section on his videos. Someone actually suggested that he needs to run for public office when he's done with his hike.
    It is what it is.

His videos are seriously late and behind the times.
    Instagram photos place him road walking around Mt. Baden Powell a few days ago.
    Meanwhile, the fit and the healthy and the only slightly overweight hikers who started behind Cory were beyond mile 600 a day or two ago and probably going to be at Kennedy Meadows next week. 40something Days from the border. Folks are knocking out 20 to 30 mile days.
    Wayne

anyone know how much weight he has lost?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    anyone know how much weight he has lost?
    A video or two back Cory said that he could feel that he had lost weight. He didn't express any numbers.
    Come to think of it, he visited a doctor in Idyllwild (I think) for problems with his feet. The doctor's staff would have put him on a scale.
    He also said that he has a new REI brand pack. Not sure why he wanted to swap the Granite Gear pack.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I would argue, he does not have to complete an actual thru-hike, this hike has already been a success for him. What I see is that he is getting stronger and hiking faster. May not be enough for a true thru, especially given the Sierras this year. But he has already hiked further than some ever do. Props to Second Chance.

John Greenleaf Whittier

In this video he estimated he has lost 55 lbs so far

https://youtu.be/huwEbk1DoRE

Let me go

Always keep in mind that his stated goal is to lose 200 pounds. We have to be careful not to put our goals and expectations on him. If he has lost 55 pounds, then he is doing an amazing job.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++