Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast

Journal Entries

Where did he ever say "thru hiking" the pct was his goal?

He said in episode 1....he was hiking the pct....to lose 200 lbs.

Good for him, hes 25% there. Weight loss and life-reset is his goal...and he is succeeding.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Where did he ever say "thru hiking" the pct was his goal?

He said in episode 1....he was hiking the pct....to lose 200 lbs.

Good for him, hes 25% there. Weight loss and life-reset is his goal...and he is succeeding.
    The video linked a few posts back. Another hiker recorded it. He now has his sights set on Canada.
    At 8-10-12 miles per day.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    In this video he estimated he has lost 55 lbs so far

https://youtu.be/huwEbk1DoRE

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Muddy Waters:
    This is the link.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Muddy Waters:
    This is the link.

Wayne
    Doesnt hurt to aim high.

Difference is
    He will still be happy if he doesnt make it.
    Its about more than making canada for him. Always has been

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of coddled. He has received a lot of help on his journey. He is a friendly outgoing guy with a positive attitude doing something somewhat unique for a person of his size and physical ability. Just the sort of person most folks would want to help and see succeed in his journey. In the end he is the one doing the walking. Nobody is doing the hiking for him. As far as being mentally tested, he has been through some pretty bad weather, been alone most of his trip, suffered some physical issues and probably knows in his heart that at his present speed he is not likely to finish the trail this year but he keeps going undaunted by setbacks. As emotional as he is times, I think is he is mentally tougher than you think.
    I should clarify. When I meant he was coddled and never tested, I was referring to the poster who was referring to his childhood and growing years. I wasn’t referring to his current journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I really don't understand all of the criticism and judging going on here. Saying that he needs to exercise and watch his diet is really the functional equivalent of telling an alcoholic that they just need to drink a little less and expecting that to be helpful. If you've never been morbidly obese then you really don't know what he's going through and saying that he just needs to exercise and change his diet is really trivializing a problem that is very hard to deal with.

I see a man that is trying to make a major change in his life and sharing his experiences to inspire others with his videos. God bless him. I wish him nothing but the best and hope that he finishes his hike and losses all the weight that he wants to lose. The odds are really against him but, hey, I like rooting for a plucky underdog.
    Yes this. I was morbidly obese. Lost over 100 pounds. It is as much a psychological journey as a physical one and doing something like a challenging hike is a way many people have changed their lives in one way or another. It's not really about the hike, I don't think. That's just the vehicle.

Firstly, I am not trolling - just my opinion differs greatly from the majority of posters on this thread.

A quick rant in E Minor:

This is just a Freak Show supported by the type of people who slow down to look at traffic accidents on the interstate; who are fascinated by reality TV BS.

This guy has eaten himself to this size, whatever his excuses, it was his choice, no one elses, he was not forced fed.

If this was a veteran with PTSD, there is no way this would receive the same level of attention, but because he has a significantly greater proportion of watery protoplasm than the average Joe, then let's celebrate that he is averaging 4 miles per day on the PCT! All the good men and women who serve and have served their country....and then there is this guy!

The bottom line: If more people Fat Shamed others (which should be compulsory), then perhaps the 39.8% of obesity amongst the 93.3 million US adults could be seriously reduced and SAVE LIVES, instead of being concerned about 'hurty feelinz'!

Quote Originally Posted by firesign View Post
    Firstly, I am not trolling - just my opinion differs greatly from the majority of posters on this thread.

A quick rant in E Minor:

This is just a Freak Show supported by the type of people who slow down to look at traffic accidents on the interstate; who are fascinated by reality TV BS.

This guy has eaten himself to this size, whatever his excuses, it was his choice, no one elses, he was not forced fed.

If this was a veteran with PTSD, there is no way this would receive the same level of attention, but because he has a significantly greater proportion of watery protoplasm than the average Joe, then let's celebrate that he is averaging 4 miles per day on the PCT! All the good men and women who serve and have served their country....and then there is this guy!

The bottom line: If more people Fat Shamed others (which should be compulsory), then perhaps the 39.8% of obesity amongst the 93.3 million US adults could be seriously reduced and SAVE LIVES, instead of being concerned about 'hurty feelinz'!
    I gather that you never make poor choices, and would prefer that strangers harangue you about them if you did.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

A quick rant in E Minor:

Yikes.
    How do you know he's not a veteran? I mean - I've not stalked the dude or anything, but I'm not aware he's posted his resume anywhere.

Not really sure how you feel compulsory bullying of people would help them, but to each their own I guess.

The bottom line: If more people Fat Shamed others (which should be compulsory), then perhaps the 39.8% of obesity amongst the 93.3 million US adults could be seriously reduced and SAVE LIVES, instead of being concerned about 'hurty feelinz'![/QUOTE]
    I think that you need to think a little bit more deeply about this and try to have some compassion for people.

Addiction is a serious mental health issue and obesity is one of the most difficult to treat. It's not like smoking, drugs, or alcohol where you can quit cold turkey and stay away from temptation (and you're a fool if you think that's easy btw.) An obese person still has to eat and it is virtually impossible to get away from temptation. There's a reason why the thousands of diet plans and exercise plans that get sold every year are not successful and it's not a lack of motivation.

So, be happy if you're part of the fortunate % of our society that doesn't struggle with their weight. It's certainly one of the most overt and socially acceptable stigmas left in America. You'll hardly be alone if you want to continue thinking that the solution is as simple as "fat shaming." Trust me, fat people get shamed plenty already and it hasn't done anything to solve the obesity epidemic.

Perhaps we could do better with compassion and encouragement?
    Last edited by Jayne; 05-07-2019 at 15:42.

IMHO the dude is likable as long as it doesn't get to his head and we see him try to build on it. IMHO when he held the camera in his hand after he fell and was whimpering into the camera was a situation that was getting a little too close to trying too hard to make a film versus just honestly hiking the trail. That episode turned me off. But everyone likes different things so there will be people who will enjoy this.

On the other hand I have to say that the way he is trying to lose weight is the right way. I do not think losing 100 pounds first, fixing his habits etc etc is the way to go before he starts hiking. Beating addiction works best if You remove yourself from the familiar surroundings that provide the temptation. In order to change his habits he has to change himself and there is no better way to experience a change in who you are than going on a long distance hike. A hike like this will change You and it will make You used to much more physical activity than you would if you were in a comfort of your home. Yes, I agree there is much more to do and one of the things is to change eating habits...and I believe he knows it too. This could incrementally work out. Then again it might not ... we don't know.

P.S. if he WAS a war veteran and was overplaying his cards in that regard I would be unsubscribing fast!
    Let me go

..........The bottom line: If more people Fat Shamed others (which should be compulsory), then perhaps the 39.8% of obesity amongst the 93.3 million US adults could be seriously reduced and SAVE LIVES, instead of being concerned about 'hurty feelinz'!
    Probably no group gets more publicly shamed than smokers. I guarantee you when I smoked some dip wad telling me how bad it was for me and how I should quit made absolutely no difference in whether I smoked or not. All it did was make me mad and wonder why they didn't mind their own business and what right they had to get in the middle of my personal business. I suspect obese people would feel the same way if somebody shamed them for their weight. Not likely to be helpful at all.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Journal Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Probably no group gets more publicly shamed than smokers. I guarantee you when I smoked some dip wad telling me how bad it was for me and how I should quit made absolutely no difference in whether I smoked or not. All it did was make me mad and wonder why they didn't mind their own business and what right they had to get in the middle of my personal business. I suspect obese people would feel the same way if somebody shamed them for their weight. Not likely to be helpful at all.
    What if the attractive women (or guys if thats your thing) at your work, or wherever ,held their noses when you walked by, and told you you stunk, had black & yellow teeth, , bad breath and were disgusting? That would hit home more.

Because thats more the reality. People may not say it out of decency....but they think it. Especially when they have to breathe the stench Smoking isnt outlawed in public places because people dont like others impacting their health....it affects others around, andatheir health too. Non smokers can smell smokers. Their clothes, cars, houses, everything reeks whether they have been recently smoking or not. Only smokers smell is too damaged to know it. Ever been hiking in woods....and smell a cigarette hundred yds away? When im running around my neighborhood in evenings i can smell people smoking at houses , back porch or such, ....from the street.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2019 at 18:48.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    What if the attractive women (or guys if thats your thing) at your work, or wherever ,held their noses when you walked by, and told you you stunk, had black & yellow teeth, , bad breath and were disgusting? That would hit home more. ............
    No, it actually would not hit home more. It would just make me think what a bunch of rude jerks I have to put up with at work.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

AkunaHikes is currently featured by Merrell in a story called "From PTSD to AT" and also has around 7,000 followers on Instagram. I highly recommend checking him out: https://www.merrell.com/US/en/blog?u...om-ptsd-to-at/

Last year Pappy, famously a veteran, had a huge social media following during his thru-hike attempt.

ALDHA supports the "Walk Off the War" program: https://appalachiantrail.org/home/co...alachian-trail

Earl Shaffer is the most famous thru-hiker of all and was also famously a veteran.

Veterans have a lot of respect in the long distance hiking community, as they should. Do we as a society need to dedicate more resources to addressing veterans' issues such as mental illness and homelessness? Absolutely. But is it somehow disrespectful to veterans to also pay attention to people who are overcoming other obstacles?

Come on. Don't be absurd.

Believe it or not, it's possible to care about more than one thing simultaneously. You can enjoy and support a likable obese guy documenting his radical lifestyle change and also respect and support veterans. I follow both Akuna and Second Chance, and my head hasn't exploded from the effort yet.

You're entitled to your opinion on Second Chance. But to act like the attention he's receiving for his efforts somehow detracts from people who serve our country is a pretty weak justification for your remarks.
    A.T. 2018 Thru-hiker
    Follow along at www.tefltrekker.com

18 pages of cheering, veiled pot shots, and un-veiled pot shots.

Reminds me of a scoutmaster minute I once heard.

Two brothers decided to move to a new town. On his way into the town, the first brother stopped and asked an old man beside the road, "Could you tell me what kind of people live in this town?" The old man responded, "What kind of people lived in the town you are from?" The first brother responded, "Well, they were pretty judgemental, kind of mean, and they would never go out of their way to help you out." The old man looked at him and responded, "I think you will find the people in this town are much like the ones from your previous town.

A little later, the second brother entered the new town and stopped to ask the same old man, "Could you tell me what kind of people live in this town?" The old man responded, "What kind of people lived in the town you are from?" The first brother responded, "Well, they were mostly good people, usually pretty cheerful, and went out of their way to help." The old man looked at him and responded, "I think you will find the people in this town are much like the ones from your previous town.

The wise old man understood that the attitude of the people you meet depends largely on your attitude. If you are cheerful and good humored, you will find others are the same.

Put another way, here is an often quoted bit from Chuck Swindoll

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think, say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company... a church... a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we embrace for that day. We cannot change our past... we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play the one string we have, and that is our attitude... I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
    And so it is with you... we are in charge of our Attitudes”

Second Chance exudes a positive attitude and an excitement to overcome the challenges he is facing. Is that enough? No, sometimes circumstances or consequences from past actions get in our way. But try anyway. And cheer those on who have the guts to overcome their past mistakes.

A quick rant in E Minor:

the French philosopher Jean-Paul Sartre famously said: L'enfer c'est l'autre (hell is the other). This is why.

so I have a question. I just saw his latest video where he does water crossings. Would it be safe to assume that the heavier the hiker the harder it will be for the water in the creek to push the hiker around?

If true, then assuming if I go with a group and another hiker who is much lighter than me has no problem crossing the stream would mean that I (much heavier hiker) will have no problem with the brook crossing ?
    Let me go

I actually thought he made some memorable quotes in his latest video (#40).

He said, ...”with every step I take, I’m fixing my life”.

And talking about himself with this analogy, ...”my house was falling apart, they were going to put it in the ground. I’m doing a complete remodel, rebuilding my house. Today I built another wall”.

...”it’s turning into something beautiful”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    so I have a question. I just saw his latest video where he does water crossings. Would it be safe to assume that the heavier the hiker the harder it will be for the water in the creek to push the hiker around?

If true, then assuming if I go with a group and another hiker who is much lighter than me has no problem crossing the stream would mean that I (much heavier hiker) will have no problem with the brook crossing ?
    All things being equal, heavier hikers "stick to the bottom" better than lighter hikers. It can make a dramatic difference. That said, experience and balance and good judgment, where and when and how to cross, are even more important factors.

Page 18 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++