Quote Originally Posted by engineer19 View Post
Yeah, but I have a sizeable 401k account and I own a real estate. Even if my income is below Poverty, I'd be surprised if the US goverment will still give me free health care.
Yeah, the mind boggles, but you could be worth a billion bucks (asset wise) and still get a full subsidy from the ACA if you income is in the low 30K range.

In other words, just like rmitchell just said, the current ACA is only about income, not your 401K balance (or real estate, whatever).

I'm in the same boat, nice healthy 401K's and IRA's, but low income (retired, on modest pension). For such a situation, one does indeed have to take care not to draw money from a 401K/IRA, as that withdrawal becomes "income", and would affect the ACA subsidy. (We're living off of the small remainder of our non-401K/IRA savings (after tax money), untaill on Medicare in a couple years, at which time I'll no longer need an ACA subsidy).

Quote Originally Posted by rmitchell View Post
It may vary by state, but my understanding is that reimbursement rates are based on you anticipated annual income. Resources are not a factor. If you are making withdrawals from the 401k that is taxable or if the real estate is producing income that could come into play.

Like colorado_rob said look at the website. It doesn't cost anything to check. All this could very well change for 2020 though.
Looks like 2020 will be unchanged basically, as of now, at least. It has been a real touch-and-go situation for the ACA in recent years, for obvious reasons, but it still keeps hanging in there. I suspect 2020 will be the last year of status quo. Of course I thought that back in 2018, then 2019...