WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default mountain house at wal mart- 2-20-19

Just got back from my local walmart. They had the 2 day "just in case" box ( 2 breakfast skillets, 2 spaghetti with meat sauce and 2 rice and chicken) reduced from 39.84 to 19. They also had individual turkey dinner at 4.50 and eggs and bacon for 3.50. I do not see those prices on their web site. Bought all they had. So if you do FBC maybe a good opportunity to add to your supplies.

Were they the single serving or two serving? Wal mart used to carry the singles and I loved the convienience of them. Never had a big appetite during my short section hikes. Had to order a bunch of singles from Mountain House directly. shipping is very pricy if your order does not total $100 or more.

Have you guys tried bagging your own in liter freezer ziplock bags from the #10 cans? I have done that. It is an economical way to buy Mountain House.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I don’t know how y’all choke down those breakfast skillets. I tell my hiking partners to use those on me if I happen to swallow poison and it needs to come back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I don’t know how y’all choke down those breakfast skillets. I tell my hiking partners to use those on me if I happen to swallow poison and it needs to come back up.
    Its funny how tastes vary. those are one of my favorite ones as a breakfast or dinner.

Ha! The breakfast skillet was in my recent batch I ordered from mountain house. I've heard many good opinions on it and wanted to try it out as burrito stuffing.

I had the skillet for the first time last week in NH. Honestly, I really liked it.

+1 for MH breakfast skillet, (#10 cans from amazon!)
    Delicious!!!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    It really is funny how different mountain house concoctions affect people differently. Breakfast skillet is one of the only ones I can comfortably stomach. Most of their other meals give me hearburn, and as for Chili-Mac with beef...well...

D22894FC-7A62-46C4-A5A1-3AE2C484B1CB.jpeg
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

I like the breakfast skillet one but the one that's just eggs/ham is to much egg. They have 2 good breakfast ones, the Skillet and then there's some kind of hash one or something. The blueberry granola one is pretty nasty with to much, or the amount of water they call for but I actually really like it crunchy with just a little cold water. The raspberry crisp desert one was good but eating the whole 4 serving pack at once wasn't so great, neither was using it as an actual meal. I like all the other ones and I'm pretty sure I've tried just about all of them.

I definitely don't put anything close to the amount of water they call for in any of them. I boil some then add little by little as I mix and keep it the consistency I like. I never thought of the can and zip lock idea and didn't realize it's that much cheaper... I'll look into that next time for sure. I did buy in bulk last time so it came out to just over $5 per pack for the big 2.5-3 serving packs. I had to spend a few hundred bucks on it to get the bulk deal but that wasn't to bad for the long run.
    Last edited by LazyLightning; 02-21-2019 at 21:08.
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

++ New Posts ++