WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Resupply towns

Default Resupply towns

Was plotting out a tentative hiking itinerary for first few weeks on the trail. Starting in Erwin TN April 18th. I have Guthooks and AWOL guidebook for reference. Wondering if there are any other towns along the trail for resupply other than the larger towns listed which can be up to 10 miles off of the trail? Also how many days of food do most people carry? I seem to recall that you should plan on carrying 2 pounds of food per day? Thanks!

Journal Entries

Carry what you want.

Most carry what they need to get to next resupply.....not what someone else needs.

If there were other options.......they would be in the guide. As a general rule, they are thorough on redsuply options. Occassionally new places open that arent in a version for a yr or such.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-21-2019 at 08:40.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For the rest of TN into VA, you have US19E which is about 5 drive to a Dollar General; 10 minute drive into the small town of Roan Mtn.
    Then take blue blaze at Laurel Fork Gorge into Hampton.
    Then the trail goes through Damascus.

Just do your research, sometimes trail crossings are 5-10 miles out of town. Other times, it goes right beside a lonely gas station. Other times you walking a busy business filled highway. There will be hostels will shuttle you into town for resupplying, or they will have some basic supplies on-prem.

Just hitch if you need to go to town. Bounce box for remote areas.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Basically there are only two options, Roan Mt and Hampton. If you stay at one of the hostels on 19E, they will run you town so you can hit the supermarket and BBQ place. Mountain Harbor B+B/Hostel does a breakfast to die for.

Then if you stay at Kincora hostel, Bob will shuttle you into Hampton to hit the market there. Or do the blue blaze trail into town.

So, figure out how long it will take you to get between those points and carry enough food to do so. Erwin to 19E is kind of a long stretch, could take you 5 days at a modest pace.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Usually I planned segment by segment, how far to next resupply, with allowances for minor resupplies or restaurants on trail. You get into it vary fast and I would just work on your first section which is Erwin to either Damascus or Hot Springs, at about 90 miles either way IIRC.

However, for instance if heading north one may (and should) stop at Greasy Creek Hostel (Friendly) (It's a AT classic stay). Which is a resupply option. at about 25 miles IIRC. For that I would consider it one overnight to the hostel. Setting off from Erwin I would carry a lunch, dinner, breakfast, lunch, and, dinner and one freeze dried for emergency, along with some snacks. At the hostel (which I would call ahead to confirm) I would look at the next section and plan accordingly.

If there was a restaurant I would pass by that would be a meal which I would not carry if I desired to stop there.

When I went to the supermarket I would get my food fo the meals and as a final check I would weight the food on the produce scale, I expect the food to weight 2 lbs per day. Sometimes i had to adjust the amount food at the market. I would also spend some time prepping my food for the hike,getting rid of excessive packaging.

I guess you were asking about resupply in general, not just the section north of Erwin.

Once you get to Damascus, resupply gets easier as you'll be a lot closer to civilization in VA then you are in NC. There will be places close enough to the trail to walk to, other places are a short hitch hike. It's all in the guide book. Anything not in the guide book is too far away.

3 to 5 days of food is typical. 5 days is my limit for how much weight I want leave town with and is about all I can fit into my pack anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    However, for instance if heading north one may (and should) stop at Greasy Creek Hostel (Friendly) (It's a AT classic stay). Which is a resupply option. at about 25 miles IIRC. For that I would consider it one overnight to the hostel. Setting off from Erwin I would carry a lunch, dinner, breakfast, lunch, and, dinner and one freeze dried for emergency, along with some snacks. At the hostel (which I would call ahead to confirm) I would look at the next section and plan accordingly.
    Greasy Creek is an interesting stop (is the crazy neighbor still waking everyone up at dawn?) but it's not much of a resupply option. She has some snacks and a few odds and ends. It's been a while since I last passed by there, maybe she has expanded her selection. Still, it saves you a dinner and breakfast.

This is awesome information. Thank you! I was happy to see that the article in the first link matched up with what I had planned.
    Happy hiking!

The White blaze Pages guidebook by attroll has extensive listings of resupply options. Check it out.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

++ New Posts ++