WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default The Wonderland Trail

I watched Gary Robbins FKT of the Wonderland Trail last night. First off I am always very impressed by his documentaries of his activities.
    Secondly, wow what an amazing landscape this trail has to offer. I have seen some threads over the years on the Wonderland Trail but have not paid them any attention. Feel free to dump any and all helpful info pertaining to the Wonderland Trail here for me and others to grow our knowledge of it. It is now on my hiking bucket list for sure, right up there with the Teton Crest Trail.

Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

So many trails! So little time!

As a repeat offender on the WT, I would say that it is an excellent reality check for those considering a long challenging hike. Excepting a couple of miles near White River, there are no significant flat parts. Expect a real workout. Of course, I am an old guy and a bit lazy.

Other factors include spectacular scenery that I would not want to rush through, even if I had the fitness base to do so, a rigid permit system, possible very rainy weather (especially in autumn), river crossings that can be trivial one day and scary the next, and many campsites that are not hammock friendly. On both of my circuits I met fun and interesting people, including very helpful park staff.

Overall, very highly recommended. P1010110.JPG10 On the West side.jpg
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Nothing to see Gambit, move along now.

j/k. It's gorgeous as you can see. The permit process is tough. I was unsuccessful last year. Giving it another go next month....fingers crossed.
    It is what it is.

Garlic
    Images

The flexible hiker can easily get a walk-in permit. I've done that twice, getting first choices each time. Last I checked (it's been four years, I think), the NPS kept 25% of campsites open for walk-ins. You may need to hike the occasional long day, so a fast and light approach can help.

The WT is perhaps my favorite trail ever. A challenging loop trail, easy logistics if you can leave a car, no resupply needed, relatively close to several large metro areas, well maintained, and gorgeous scenery.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

A fly and drive a rental car is the only reliable transportation scenario.
    Be flexible on the intinerary.
    Go for it!
    The same applies to the Teton Crest Trail. Flying to Salt Lake City and driving 6-8 hours to the Tetons can save big bucks over flying to Jackson Hole Airport. You’re going to want a car in the park to get to trailheads, etc. Late August to mid-September is a good weather window and smaller crowds. Again, be flexible and don’t get hung up on following a line on a map. There are no bad places in the Tetons. The backcountry rangers will take care of you. And loan you a bear can.
    Have fun!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    The flexible hiker can easily get a walk-in permit. I've done that twice, getting first choices each time. Last I checked (it's been four years, I think), the NPS kept 25% of campsites open for walk-ins. You may need to hike the occasional long day, so a fast and light approach can help.

The WT is perhaps my favorite trail ever. A challenging loop trail, easy logistics if you can leave a car, no resupply needed, relatively close to several large metro areas, well maintained, and gorgeous scenery.
    Last time I went their computer system was down so it was all walk in. We had to camp at sites off the trail a couple of nights, but the itinerary worked out fine. The couple in front of us in line (ages 65 and 75) for permits got a 14 night plan, going the opposite direction, so we met them on the trail twice. They were all smiles.

Y’all are killing me. I’m going to have to go back to work to fund the WT and TCT.
    Quit it! 👍😄
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Y’all are killing me. I’m going to have to go back to work to fund the WT and TCT.
    Quit it! 
    Wayne
    Not that expensive. You have to eat anyway. Mostly just transportation. Now be nice or I'll post a bunch more WT pictures.

Garlic
    Images

Yep, my WT hikes were better than free on a marginal basis. I was driving in the area on extended trips anyway. I had a season pass for the park, there was no fee for the permit. With a few nights of free camping, probably saved money on the trip.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Oh man after watching those videos I want to hike that trail so bad.

You can hike it and see nothing depending on the weather so keep that in mind. He had really clear skies, something you are not likely to see during a Wonderland hike.

I enjoyed my Wonderland hike but wouldn't do it again. There are so many great places to hike in the PNW that fighting that crowd and permit system just isn't worth it.

Twenty hours is insane. I took six days.

Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    You can hike it and see nothing depending on the weather so keep that in mind. He had really clear skies, something you are not likely to see during a Wonderland hike.

I enjoyed my Wonderland hike but wouldn't do it again. There are so many great places to hike in the PNW that fighting that crowd and permit system just isn't worth it.

Twenty hours is insane. I took six days.
    Well, that's helpful info. Actually I was engaging in more wishful thinking because right now if I'm lucky I can get out to trails in Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. three or four long weekends a year. Maybe once my kid is out of school...

Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Mike View Post
    Well, that's helpful info. Actually I was engaging in more wishful thinking because right now if I'm lucky I can get out to trails in Michigan, Wisconsin, etc. three or four long weekends a year. Maybe once my kid is out of school...
    I used to live in NW Indiana so I can relate. I mostly went south down to TN when we lived back east. Now I live at the foot of the Cascades and we hike every weekend, and at least one mom/dad trip per year.

There are all kinds of cool hikes you can carve out in either the Cascades or the Olympics that would be easier to plan than the Wonderland. We have no shortage of gorgeous terrain. The Wonderland has a very short season coupled with being Internationally known so the popularity of it ruins it for me.

Images

You have hit on two of my favorite trails. If you do the TCT look to extend it into Yellowstone and/or start with the Wind River Range. When we did it we had a route that included the Winds straight thru to Yellowstone. Early snow caused us to drop a couple of sections going into Jackson Hole but it was an incredible trip. Here are a few photos from that route.

547ACC4C-7F44-4DC1-A8AD-A8CD76AF042D.jpeg
    Winds on High Route

DCE01FC7-4B84-47F8-B203-D28F40A982E2.jpeg
    Winds

B3651BD3-A911-453E-9D49-FE117A9EF2E2.jpeg
    TCT

1966C844-0FB2-4EE3-B508-33FA9C2B2F49.jpeg
    TCT

262060E4-0B88-47DA-84D9-D993755A0366.jpeg
    Yellowstone

FD9AF51F-CF01-4A26-836C-FA661AB44D81.jpeg
    Yellowstone at our end point.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Y’all don’t play fair at all.
    Wayne

I'm watching the videos right now.... Is that a Titanium Espresso Pot?! Oh man!! I gotta find one of those

...... sorry, sorry......

That area of our country is definitely a Very beautiful area. No doubt about it.

u.w.

Just east of MORA are three wilderness areas with extensive trail systems, including a stretch of the PCT. Nice loops are available, but check to see if the trails on the maps are maintained at this time. It is an alternative I'll be trying come fall.

That is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Just east of MORA are three wilderness areas with extensive trail systems, including a stretch of the PCT. Nice loops are available, but check to see if the trails on the maps are maintained at this time. It is an alternative I'll be trying come fall.
    Translate MORA please?
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++