WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shoulder strap pouches for phones

So my latest Gotta Find It, Need To Have It, Holy Grail of Gear item is a shoulder strap pouch that will fit & protect my phone. Phones keep getting bigger, but pockets don't.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S7 in a Lifeproof case, and have been wanting to find a shoulder pouch for it that will work with my Osprey pack. Today I came across MLD's Shoulder Strap Pouch and it looks promising...wondering if anyone has any experience with them? (Sorry I can't get it to link)
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    So my latest Gotta Find It, Need To Have It, Holy Grail of Gear item is a shoulder strap pouch that will fit & protect my phone. Phones keep getting bigger, but pockets don't.

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S7 in a Lifeproof case, and have been wanting to find a shoulder pouch for it that will work with my Osprey pack. Today I came across MLD's Shoulder Strap Pouch and it looks promising...wondering if anyone has any experience with them? (Sorry I can't get it to link)
    Zimmerbuilt.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Check out Hyperlight Mountain Gear.

Images

I sewed velcro strap to Eagle Creek pouch I got at REI (can find other places).

https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-Creek-O...a-347247988294
    Last edited by Rain Man; 02-23-2019 at 17:02.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I use the Zpacks shoulder pouch. It barely fits my large phone with its protective case (3.25"x6.33"x0.5") though the phone is slightly too tall so I can only cinch the pouch about half way closed (more than enough to keep the phone from falling out, but doing nothing to keep rain out. But I carry a ziplock for that and if it's raining hard, I move it inside the pack, though the ziplock does keep it dry. There is still some room inside for small objects with the phone, but I do wish it was 1/2 inch taller.

As for MLD, I buy stuff from them all the time and they make good stuff that tends to be a bit more bullet proof than Zpacks as they often use heavier materials. Never actually tried their shoulder pouch. If the dimensions work for your phone, it should be fine.

I've two MLD shoulder pouches, one on two different packs, attached to a shoulder strap, that hold my Samsung S5. On the other shoulder strap I attach a bungeed Smart Water bottle ala ULA's system, that help balance out the shoulder strap wt. It also helps bring wt from the main pack compartment forward in the front which I've found especially useful in balancing out the entire load in the mostly frameless backpacks I use. Another useful thing is that storing electronics and on the go H2O on shoulder straps rather than pack side pockets, main compartment, water reservoir/Camelbak/Evernew or hip belt pockets is that I can carry more easily at reach without taking 40L or less packs off even on LD long duration hikes. The MLD shoulder pouches have multiple ways to securely and easily attach to side straps or shoulder straps.

BTW, I find the MLD WR zippered pouch to be highly WR when new. The WR does fade some but I tend to spray the outside of Dyneema X and Cordura packs with McKnetts Revivex water repellent spray anyhow. I still store electronics in a Ziploc inside the pouch on very wet northwestern and other hikes.

I use a Waist Pack for my phone. Found it worked easier than on the shoulder!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Try Rodney at ULA-Equipment; he was good enough to customize two shoulder pocket to my desired/larger dimensions for my iphone 6 plus for the normal price plus a very reasonable custom charge ($15) in 2017 while I was thru hiking the AT; I got them quickly and they were/are perfect. Not sure if they still offer this service, but if they do, this is a great option.

Check out TreadLite Gear, sells on eBay out of his house in the U.K. Awesome shoulder pouches in various sizes, plus a lot of other cool stuff. I have the xl rucksack in x-pak , fits my large iPhone plus a power bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. It looks like the MLD's are the best option for me right now -- although I totally agree with that a waist pack seems like an easier/more convenient option. I've tried that, but couldn't really figure out how to wear the waist pack in a way that was comfortable in conjunction with my backpack's waist belt. Sounds lame, I know.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

$35.00??? No thanks.

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. It looks like the MLD's are the best option for me right now -- although I totally agree with that a waist pack seems like an easier/more convenient option. I've tried that, but couldn't really figure out how to wear the waist pack in a way that was comfortable in conjunction with my backpack's waist belt. Sounds lame, I know.
    I have both MLD and Zimmerbuilt. I prefer Zimmerbuilt. His water bottle pouch is great. also SWD has a sweet lycra shoulder pouch. I have two brand new MLD shoulder pouches. Ill probably sell em if your interested.

Thank you -- I may very well take you up on that, but now gbolt's comment about the waist pack has me re-thinking my issue. I do think a waist pack has a lot more to offer and I just have to be smarter and figure out how to make it work.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Thank you -- I may very well take you up on that, but now gbolt's comment about the waist pack has me re-thinking my issue. I do think a waist pack has a lot more to offer and I just have to be smarter and figure out how to make it work.
    Thrupack.com if you want a great fanny pack. Get the comfy strap.

But the MLD's pm me if interested

I used to store $$ camera and $$ smart phone in hip belt pockets. Found they are more prone to getting damaged when stored there. I've cracked several pricey smart phone screens and cases supposedly screen and case protected on and off trail. Repair costs for glass screens and sometimes cases and other damaged parts in otherwise fine working electronics can be almost as much as the original purchase price for the unit. What a racket! But I can be frugal. Same but not to the same extent with waist belt. Around the waist just above hip belt I might carry other things that would interfere with quick retrieval with a waist belt. It's why I'm fine with cheaper maybe earlier model smart phones maybe even a simple CHEAP Tracphone on trail.

A chest pack similar to Zpacks Multi Packs is another option that can store more than a S7. I find the chest pack almost as comfortable, if not accustomed to removing your pack very often, and as quick to access as a waist pack or zippered shoulder strap pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    Thrupack.com if you want a great fanny pack. Get the comfy strap.

But the MLD's pm me if interested

Interesting. Haven't seen these before. Thanks.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Interesting. Haven't seen these before. Thanks.
    Fanny packs are becoming wildly popular on the trails.

Most of the cottage companies now make one.

I don't own a thrupack but have seen a few. Quality and materials are top notch. Design is great.

Most hikers end up grabbing a fanny pack from REI, ll bean, walmart, etc becuase thats whats available on the trail.

These are much nicer.

I would get an xpac or dyneema x over cuben if you decide to get one. Fanny packs are meant to be used and abused. The cuben will degrade from abrasion quickly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++