WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've only sparingly used a fanny pack alone not while also wearing a loaded backpack with a true hip belt w/ hip belt pockets for backpacking. On day hikes I often find a fanny pack alone acceptable as a minimalist. How does adding a fanny pack not get in the way when also wearing a pack as depicted? It also seems it would make it hot and sweaty and confining around the waist a situation some find prone to chafing around the waist wearing all this. If one's backpacking modus operandi are regular stops doesn't removing such a layered set up and then having to put it back on become onerous? Asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I've only sparingly used a fanny pack alone not while also wearing a loaded backpack with a true hip belt w/ hip belt pockets for backpacking. On day hikes I often find a fanny pack alone acceptable as a minimalist. How does adding a fanny pack not get in the way when also wearing a pack as depicted? It also seems it would make it hot and sweaty and confining around the waist a situation some find prone to chafing around the waist wearing all this. If one's backpacking modus operandi are regular stops doesn't removing such a layered set up and then having to put it back on become onerous? Asking.
    I don't use a fanny pack so I have zero experience wearing one.

However, most people I know who wear fanny packs while hiking are using framess packs without hipbelts.

I can imagine a cheap walmart fanny rubbing you raw because of a crappy belt.

"The comfy strap" my buddy on the AT had one. It was plush. He wore it around his waist with not issues. He was using a custom made hipbeltless frameless though.

I know some people wore the strap under their clothes against their skin. So layering doesnt really change. For them.

I saw one person who wore his fanny like a Zpacks Multipack on his straps with mini biners. Then in town or camp he quickly attached the strap.

Some people found a way to secure it to their hip belt and then just tuck the strap in somewhere.

Just my observation. Ive never used one because I figured it would rub me raw.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

There's a video on Youtube of this one being used on a hip belt and it seemed to work well as a solution for the new Exos packs where Osprey deleted the hip belt pockets.

https://www.garagegrowngear.com/prod...y-pack-by-thru
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMIRGsLoir4

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I always put the fanny pack on first and then put on the pack. I raised the fanny pack above the Back Pack Hip Belt and Buckled it, letting the fanny pack droop over the belt. On a few occasions I would lower the fanny pack and snap the Backpack belt above the fanny pack. I got quite comfortable with the set up and it became my norm. During stops, the backpack came off but the fanny pack stayed on, and came off when I went to bed. The Pack was also worn over the base layer/shirt and pants/shorts but under the midlayer and Shell while the Back Pack was the last thing put on. While I probably did sweat slightly more from the strap around the back, it was not that noticeable and I never chafed. It also may help to note that the fanny Pack was around the waist and the Backpack was down on the hips creating two different tracks for the belt material. Someone mentioned wear and tear with possible damage to a phone. I wouldn’t use Dyneema for a fanny pack, more due to cost. I used a multipocket Mountain Smith purchase at the Gatlinburg NOC to replace my Cheep Walmart test pack. I did fall numerous times, but honestly, I landed on my outstretched arms, Chest and shoulders more than on the waist pack. I never crushed anything in the waist pack including many a energy bar. Like any part of a hiking kit, everyone as to experiment and find what works. I appreciate your knowledge and experience for sure Dogwood, ��. Hope this helps the discussion.
    Last edited by gbolt; 02-26-2019 at 22:12.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

This is what I use both with my daypack and my overnight pack. It has two compartments, the larger one holds small things I need to access during the day and the other holds my phone. Easy access. It can either attach to your pack’s shoulder straps or be used as a stand along small fanny pack. I tried so many things before this one, this one works and I love it. https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...g-GRABBAG.html

Thx all.

"However, most people I know who wear fanny packs while hiking are using frames packs without hipbelts."

@ Fox: Assumed that was the way it was done. With my MLD Burn with a custom removable webbing only belt I might try incorporating a waist pack.

Thx Gbolt. You even answered my next question about layering with apparel.

@Bmlee Thx

Something I don't do but was open to learning how others make it work.

It May help to mention that my backpack is the ULA Ohm and I purchased the fanny pack to “fit” in between the two hip pockets directly over the buckle. Wish I had a closeup picture.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

I also have the Zpacks shoulder pouch. I just realized I have while shuffling around some gear. I have not used it yet but would prefer not storing a trail samsung galaxy S5 in it as it's a different design than the MLD or Vince's Tread Lite designed pouch with WP zippers. This ZP shoulder pouch has a cord lock design likely not as WR or WP than the other designs. The ZPacks pouch barely fits the S5. When I use the ZPacks pouch it will not store my non WP electronics unless in a Ziploc.

I have two brand new MLD shoulder pouches Ill sell for cost. So free shipping.

Anyone want them?

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I have two brand new MLD shoulder pouches Ill sell for cost. So free shipping.

Anyone want them?

I don't think I would need two of them -- would you be willing to sell them separately?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Superior Wilderness Designs has two options. The first link (my personal favorite) is sewn on the shoulder strap, the second link can be attached to many packs.

https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product...shoulder-pouch

https://www.swdbackpacks.com/product-page/should-pouch

Here's a review backing up my suggestion. https://sectionhiker.com/hyperlite-m...pocket-review/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++