WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

you can get foam ear plugs that are attached by a tiny plastic cord so that if one falls out, or both, you don't lose them. I get mine at a local tool and machine rental store.
    humor is the gadfly on the corpse of tragedy

3M disposable orange foam here. I don't use them while backpacking because I'm keen on situational awareness, but I do make extensive use of them for motorcycling. A couple of things to note about using these:

1. if they're still too warm from having been recently removed, they won't hold their shape long enough to roll into your ear again. If you're in a situation where you'll need to take them out and put them back in a few times, you might need two pairs to alternate between so that one is always cold enough.

2. you can easily adjust the amount of sound blockage by adjusting the depth of insertion into the ear canal. Leave them halfway out for a more comfortable fit when you don't need quite as much sound blockage.

I use the cheap and dirty pinkish color ones you can get at CVS (CVS Brand). Pack of 50 was pretty cheap and they are comfortable compared to some of the others I have used.

They block the sound really good (32dB). I do alot of RVing and this will block out everything from noisy neighbors to the cave bear snoring next to me at night . She has allergies so can suck the paint off the ceiling when she gets going lmao
    Mark Twain — 'Out of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.'

I use custom molded ones I had made for shooting. I wouldn't hear a bear until too late!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I use custom molded ones I had made for shooting. I wouldn't hear a bear until too late!
    Were did you get your ear plugs?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    Did you have to send in a do it yourself mold impression of each ear like what's available online?

EAR DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Custom Molded Earplug Kit with Cordhttps://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Cust.../dp/B01HSHVR90

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Were did you get your ear plugs?
    I went to a Cowboy Action Shooting event in NH a number of years ago and had them made. I think I paid $75 for the pair. I use them for shooting as well. My ears are really weird shaped and I have never been able to use anything else well. The foamies hurt my ears, well, my left ear in particular after a little while. I even have problems with ear buds for listening to my podcasts and need ones that hold around the ear so I can keep them out of my ear,

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

you can also sometimes find someone making them at gun shows

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Did you have to send in a do it yourself mold impression of each ear like what's available online?

EAR DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Custom Molded Earplug Kit with Cordhttps://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Cust.../dp/B01HSHVR90
    Hey buddy
    I went to an audiologist, had custom fitted earplugs made for like 40 bucks one of the best investments. 10x more comfortable than the pink foam ones.

If you want to go one step further take those custom ear plugs and have a pair of Livewires made.
    http://www.mylivewires.com/

Hey all, we’ve covered a lot of ground here. Foam bullets, silicone, DIY, special made by audiologists, shooting plugs &/or ear muffs. I’ve used Mack’s for years with decent results, never really tried the foam, don’t want the expense of special made. I may check Walgreens or CVS for their otc, NRR 32 +/-, hoping for some gains in my personal quest for sleeping solitude on the trail.

Thanks to to all for this input.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Images

I've used these for 29 years... there's really no point overthinking this.

https://www.earplugstore.com/holemaxuffop.html

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    I’m always looking for the best ear plugs available ( otc), for those nights in shelters &/or near a loud tent or hammock. I know you can go cheap, and I’m assuming there are ample choices to be had, both cheap and not so cheap. I’d be interested in knowing what works for you all, noting both type and specific brand.
    You know what they say about a good nights sleep.....
    I hope I don't end the thread with my comments. A little off topic..
    I haven't been able to adapt to plugs. All I've tried have made noises in my ears. Also, they seem to amplify my heartbeat. But most importantly, I am very much situationally aware. I'm on alert for my safety, plus I like the critter noise.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ocourse View Post
    I hope I don't end the thread with my comments... I'm on alert for my safety, plus I like the critter noise.
    Commendable, but a good nights sleep is more important to me. I call my earplugs “bear plugs.” All my backpacking is in grizzly country and I’ prefer not hearing them. Ignorance is, indeed, bliss...

Quote Originally Posted by ocourse View Post
    ..........I haven't been able to adapt to plugs. All I've tried have made noises in my ears. Also, they seem to amplify my heartbeat.........
    It took me a little while to get used to them too. The sounds of your own breathing, swallowing etc. are louder than usual and kind of distracting.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

A proper quick, brave, steady, ready gentleman! ocourse's Avatar

If I could learn how to sleep on my back, it'd probably be OK. But I always sleep on my right side and my ear is down where it makes noises rubbing on pillow/sleeping bag. I snore and I just can't fall asleep on my back.
    I've learned....
    That a smile is an inexpensive way to improve your looks.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleep View Post
    you can get foam ear plugs that are attached by a tiny plastic cord so that if one falls out, or both, you don't lose them. I get mine at a local tool and machine rental store.
    Reminded me - I've tried the corded silicone ones that are sort of "tiered" mushroom type. Bought them at tool store too. They were very painful for me, but YMMV.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++