WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Let’s talk ear 👂 plugs

I’m always looking for the best ear plugs available ( otc), for those nights in shelters &/or near a loud tent or hammock. I know you can go cheap, and I’m assuming there are ample choices to be had, both cheap and not so cheap. I’d be interested in knowing what works for you all, noting both type and specific brand.

You know what they say about a good nights sleep.....
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Mack's ear plugs

For me, the squishy foam ones are okay for a few days but start irritating my ear canals after that. These soft, moldable ones don't do that. They can pick up debris easily, so take care to keep them in a little case of some sort. My wife gave me a little plastic pill box that is perfect for them.

Hardware store, 3M disposable. I bought a box with 80 pairs, for about $10. Very soft, good if you happen to sleep on the side. No concern if you lose them in the bottom of your sleeping bag, or get them dirty, just grab another pair.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Mack's ear plugs

For me, the squishy foam ones are okay for a few days but start irritating my ear canals after that. These soft, moldable ones don't do that. They can pick up debris easily, so take care to keep them in a little case of some sort. My wife gave me a little plastic pill box that is perfect for them.
    Mack's work best for me too. Foam ear plugs don't work well in my ears.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quiet, made by Howard Leight / Sperian / Honeywell. NRR 26 rating. They are smooth surfaced so they are easily cleaned and hold up well for disposables. Very light and comfortable - I hate those plugs you have to roll up and let expand in the ear canal - these don't bother me like those types. I would venture with good care you could get at least month out of a pair. https://www.earplugstore.com/qureear...waAgWOEALw_wcB
    But... I don't wear earplugs when hiking (or sleeping). Only at work.

Default Let’s talk ear ? plugs

I can't believe the Wayne-man hasn't weighed in on this one yet! He knows ear-plugs inside out!

Journal Entries

3M yellow earsoft plugs
    Narrow enough to fit ear canals easier

Hold shape long enough when rolled to insert in ear
    Repeatedly

Some types only do 1st time or 2. then get impossible to reinsert they expand so quick. A finish that let them expand slow gets destroyed by ear oils making difficult to impossible to reuse . Probably not coincidence.

Can keep reusing the 3M yellow a long time

Images

EAR DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Custom Molded Earplug Kit with Cord

https://www.amazon.com/Yourself-Cust.../dp/B01HSHVR90

I use the 3m foam ear plugs. The trick with them is how you put them on and you need to realize that any earplug is going to get dirty from ear wax in a few days. If you dont keep them clean an wash them every few days they will irritate you ears. Having worked in industry I had to sit through annual training to use foam ear plugs. The trick is take one hand reach over the head grab the top of the ear lobe and lift up. Now using clean rolled foam plus insert it in the ear canal and wait until it expands. Let go of the ear lobe and do the other ear.The will not roll and re expand as well as they get dirty. The nice thing is with the 3M foam plugs is just throw them in the washer when you do a wash and they are good as new. I personally like the corded variety as they are lot easier to keep track of. BTW there is no one size fits all ear plug. I have big ear canals and the only thing that work well are the foam ones.

Quote Originally Posted by GolfHiker View Post
    I’m always looking for the best ear plugs available ( otc), for those nights in shelters &/or near a loud tent or hammock. I know you can go cheap, and I’m assuming there are ample choices to be had, both cheap and not so cheap. I’d be interested in knowing what works for you all, noting both type and specific brand.
    I've tried 3M soft "bullet", AOSafety yellow cylinder, and right now, Western Safety soft bullet (cheap, bought at Harbor Freight).

Hard to generalize. For me, the balancing act is this: the soft bullets are more comfortable in the ear, but the yellow cylinders block noise better. The yellow cylinders can be a bit painful in the ear (too forceful agains ear canal walls), but the soft bullets can often seal out air so thoroughly that it can nearly pop your eardrum upon removing them (you have to try to break the seal SLOWLY and only THEN pull them out).

All have worked much of the time; all have failed some of the time. Of the three, I just wouldn't buy the last one again, but they work well enough that I am going to use up the box first. I think the others are a bit better. Not sure I have a clear favorite among the latter. It depends on the day ... er, on the night. I think the NRR is higher on the yellow cylinders, and that's what I counted on when I rode motorcycles. The others are a bit harder to get a good seal in one of my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Mack's ear plugs

I’ve been using Mack’s since forever. We first used them in the 70s when my daughter was swimming and I had a motorcycle.
    I’m still using them today around the house with leaf blowers, chainsaw, etc.
    AND! In a tent during overnight rainfall. Required to retain my sanity!
    Best hearing protection ever! They last forever until you drop and loose them. Carry spares.
    Wayne

My preference is for the soft silicone plugs with three baffles. They look a little bit like a three tiered Christmas tree. My ear canals drive me crazy with the foam or moldable types. The silicone ones are much more comfortable for me and super easy to clean. They are a bit more expensive than other types, but money well spent in my opinion. I will add that no ear plugs work for stopping noise coming from obnoxious campers who choose to set up tents right next to yours and talk/cackle into the wee hours. It happens.

I've not used them so much for sleeping, but have a handful of times....
    My experience with earplugs is over many years of daily wear at work. I have always preferred the old classic EAR foam plugs.... the yellow tubular ones. I've never had a pair of the conical bullet shaped ones that felt right to me, and I'm just not able to get a good seal either....have probably tried them all over the years. I know lots of other folks though with different opinions. I figure all people are made a bit different and what works for me may not be the best for you.
    I'm curious though about these mack plugs. I have no experience with them. If they are moldable, then it seems like it would not be a good seal with any movement, but on the other hand they may not put any outward pressure on the ear which seems like it may be better for sleeping.

I know you ultralighters wouldn't consider this, but I bring my Remington shooting ear muffs. They weigh 10 ounces, but for me, they block out everything much better than any inserts I've ever used.

If your a side sleeper the soft foam bullet shaped ones are the only way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    But... I don't wear earplugs when hiking (or sleeping). Only at work.
    I try not to, but with coyotes, owls, whipporwills, mating frogs, roaring wind and rain on my snare-drum Cuben, and — and on occasional hikes with other people — chainsaw snoring and gas-blasting, I will gladly use them.

And I forgot loons. One time in Algonquin I was ready to go out and kill every last one of them, or myself... something had to give. IIRC, I ended up stuffing toilet paper in my ears.

Snare-Drum TarpTent as well.
    Yes. Silnylon can be drum tight during several hours of rain.
    Maddening!
    Wayne

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I go with the blue foam Hear-Os from Walgreen's, with an NRR of 35 (I notice a big difference between 35 and 32). These don't handle washing with water very well, so I typically bring a pair that will last for 1-2 weeks.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mclaught View Post
    I know you ultralighters wouldn't consider this, but I bring my Remington shooting ear muffs. They weigh 10 ounces, but for me, they block out everything much better than any inserts I've ever used.
    In college i would study with earplugs , and shooting muffs together.

You can hear yourself blink.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++