WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Age Of Shelters

Images

Default Age Of Shelters

Where could you find the history of the shelters. Year each one was built. Oldest one still standing. What group built each one.

Lot of this info can be gotten from the Trail Maintenance Clubs who are responsible for the shelters in their area. Look at the AT Maps for the areas of coverage and names of the clubs. There are a lot of Clubs. Check out http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/atclubs.html

Of course, you can contact the ATC for info.

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Where could you find the history of the shelters. Year each one was built. Oldest one still standing. What group built each one.
    Thru-hiker's Companion lists years shelters were built/remodeled, if they have privy or not, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by Frog
    Oldest one still standing.
    Might be the CCC one at Horns Pond in Maine. Just a day-use shelter now, with a cut out floor.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Cold Spring Shelter, just north of Burningtown Gap, NC, also dates back to the early thirties.....and looks it!

Come to think of it, William Brien Shelter in New York, a real mouse dungeon, dates from the early thirties too, and West Mountain Shelter, just off the A.T., dates from the late twenties, as does Fingerboard Shelter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    Cold Spring Shelter, just north of Burningtown Gap, NC, also dates back to the early thirties.....and looks it!
    If I remember correctly it even has Geo. Washington's name carved in one of the logs. If it is authenic that would probably make it the oldest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lugnut
    If I remember correctly it even has Geo. Washington's name carved in one of the logs. If it is authenic that would probably make it the oldest.
    I think the one I saw the name "Jesus" carved in would be a little older!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ridge
    Lot of this info can be gotten from the Trail Maintenance Clubs who are responsible for the shelters in their area. Look at the AT Maps for the areas of coverage and names of the clubs. There are a lot of Clubs. Check out http://www.fred.net/kathy/at/atclubs.html

Of course, you can contact the ATC for info.
    the atc thru hiker companion list shelters age neo

Images

I thought McQueen shelter in Virginia was the oldest still standing and in use?

Warwick, NY - 3 miles from Wildcat Shelter on AT
    Images

William Brien Shelter was once at Island Pond and it was too close to Arden Valley Road and accessible and was a hangout so it was removed. they still wanted to honor Mr William Brien so the Letter Rock Shelter became the William Brien Memorial Shelter. Then a major brush fire took out the roof of WB Memorial Shelter, so the original walls are in place as the stone walls did not burn, but the roof was redone - so with a relatively new roof in place does it count as an original CCC shelter. I would go with Fingerboard or West Mountian Shelters for old age shelters. Does any portion of Madison Spring Hut date back to the 19th Century?
    Aaron

++ New Posts ++