WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default RR Eco Mesh vs Bone Flats

I own a pair of eco mesh pants, unfortunately, i have the wrong sized waist. Theyre too big to take on a thru. I wanted to pick up another pair for the desert but RR is out of stock for a little while. Aside from being treated with insect shield, how come everyone chooses eco mesh over the bone flats? The bone flat are a little lighter, simpler, and how often does one really find themselves zipping up or down the mesh on the eco's? I was looking into it to take on the PCT and everyone says ecomesh. Not one mention of the bone flats.

I'm just interested as to why? I feel like you would want the mesh open 99% of the time. Why bother with a zipper?

Ps. I have an great condition pair of medium, 30's eco mesh if someone wants to buy em.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fastfoxengineering View Post
    I own a pair of eco mesh pants, unfortunately, i have the wrong sized waist. Theyre too big to take on a thru. I wanted to pick up another pair for the desert but RR is out of stock for a little while. Aside from being treated with insect shield, how come everyone chooses eco mesh over the bone flats? The bone flat are a little lighter, simpler, and how often does one really find themselves zipping up or down the mesh on the eco's? I was looking into it to take on the PCT and everyone says ecomesh. Not one mention of the bone flats.

I'm just interested as to why? I feel like you would want the mesh open 99% of the time. Why bother with a zipper?

Ps. I have an great condition pair of medium, 30's eco mesh if someone wants to buy em.

Mosquitos and cold wind.

When you reach that pass with a 60 mph cold wind ripping.....youll be glad you can zip up. Also first thing in morning when its 35 and your packing up camp. Likewise if you're trying to eat in a cloud of mosquitoes.

but hey you got to wear them, so get what you want nobody else's opinion matters

The sizes are kind of off imo.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-25-2019 at 07:23.

I own both. Sizing tends to be a little generous but I'm fine with that as I don't want tight clothing while hiking. I used the EcoMesh on the PCT from Mexico to the Washington border and they were cool enough I didn't really feel the need for shorts, especially since I didn't need to carry DEET outside of the Sierra; and there were certainly bugs up into Oregon. The insect shield was more than enough to keep them away except in norther Yosemite where they are always at their worst for a NOBO. Once you are in Washington, the mesh just holds moisture and is no longer needed as the temperatures were colder in September, so I changed to real pants and recommend you do the same.

So for a thru-hike I tend to favor the Eco-mesh pants just because you can zip them up when it's cold. Also if you are bushwhacking (say CDT), zipping up protects the mesh fabric.

When I first bought my BoneFlats, the first time I wore them in Joshua Tree NP in spring, the back of one of my calfs turned red for some reason so I started to use lotion on them for the first few times I wore them after that just in case. Now I wear them without any issue. Maybe I should have washed them first? Or maybe it had nothing to do with the pants.

For desert, the BoneFlats will be cooler than the Eco-mesh as they vent on both sides of the legs. But on the PCT, you also climb into some high elevation in SoCal going over 9000ft twice with several more times over 7000ft. If you have some wind/rain pants to go over them and some thermals, you'd be fine there. They also would be fine in NorCal and most of Oregon. I wouldn't use them in Washington as the weather is colder. As for the Sierra, it depends on the weather so you may feel they are too cold; especially higher up on the passes if the wind is strong or it's wet. On my hike, I often hiked with the EcoMesh unzipped, but it was nice to zip them up when it was cold in the evening and the early morning. But if you have enough layers to go over them, you likely would be fine unless a snow storm hit (more likely on an early entry). If I entered in 3rd-4th week of June, I think if they were what I had, I'd likely go for it. Definitely spray them with permithrin prior to leaving Kennedy Meadows. With my treated clothing and hat, I only felt the need to use my DEET on my hands and neck in Northern Yosemite where the mosquitos are always bad in spring. Definitely bring a head net.

Note, Railrider usually restocks their line in March. So they should have their EcoMesh pants back in stock by early April if you can wait.
    I'd call them and ask if they have a firm date yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Note, Railrider usually restocks their line in March. So they should have their EcoMesh pants back in stock by early April if you can wait.
    I'd call them and ask if they have a firm date yet.
    Yupp I really just need small 30s instead of my mediums.

Or try the bone flats

To add and agree:

Bone Flats are as the name suggest. They are designed for fishing for bonefish on the flats in the tropics(Fl keys, etc) under intense sun, heat and subject to saltwater/saltwater spray typically while standing on a flats boat casting platform or wading and casting. Since on the flats typically in less than 4-5 ft depth water, bonefish scare easy so the boat is poled. Under many conditions you're making long casts to not spook the bones so you can start heating up easily. This model breathes exceptionally well, and offers great sun protection for the bottom half but aren't as flexible in a as wide range of conditions IMHO as the Eco mesh for backpacking. not that the Bone Flats couldn't work extremely well for most if not all a PCT NOBO. I wore these not on hikes but while fishing in FL. A great attribute is they dry super quick in the sun. I'd say the same for 120 wt micro merino shirts I wear on hot desert hikes. I've only had one pr and did snag the mesh ripping it while picking my way through mangroves. Same with that wt of merino.

The EcoMesh transition well from trail, jungle routes, to off trail in town use. It's nice to be able to have pants that are breathable enough for maintained desert single track and durably transitioning well to humid off trail medium level abrasive routes to in town fashion. Zip the sides up a bit from the bottom so the mesh doesn't snag in thorny low hot desert environments. The two way zip that locks or holds is a great feature IMO. Same with rain jackets with a full front zip. Opening up the zips makes them looser yet not overly baggy and obviously more breathable This model is more durable/heavier built but IMO slightly less breathable, yet still light wt than almost all the convertible zip off pants possessed. The PCT overall is not a highly abrasive trail although segments certainly vary. Closing the zips makes the pants warmer but I don't see how that's going to be super significant for a PCT NOBOer unless they rock them the entire way on a drawn out PCT NOBO thru and aren't mindful of thermoregulating and appropriate layering and venting. As to MW's addressing mosquito pt that is a good one. I twice, over about 3 yrs, DIY after market applied permethrin(Insect Shield) to the Bone Flats pr I had. That sufficed for heavy FL skeeter, biting flies, and gnat pressure. I'm currently looking to replace the pr of Eco Mesh pants I had but I need a 34-36 waist. I'm of Miner's and your mindset. I too don't want tight fitting restrictive in anyway hot weather backpacking clothing. Observe what's worn by hot desert dwellers with wide temp fluctuations.

What I don't personally like about the Eco Mesh are the wt which has been heavier than advertised. Maybe that's because the size the advertised wt is based? Two other things I don't like. Rear pockets are personally never used in backpacking. They are added wt and a place to snag on something as simple as a knot or where a branch was on a fallen tree I might sit. I've arse ripped pants doing this several times. UGGH! The other thing is I wish they had a draw string cord rather than a belt and belt loops. I've tried removing rear pockets a few times on pants I otherwise loved and that creates weak spots prone to failure where the material was seamed. Sometimes the color is obviously different making it obvious rear pockets were removed.

Other than that these are some of my favorite pants to backpack.

I've found similarities between Columbia Silver Ridge pants that don't breathe nearly as well as either of these RR models.

Oh, I couldn't find the RR's other than on line. I had to order and then send back a pr of Bone Flats and and two differnt Eco Mesh before I was content with sizing so agree with Miner as well on teh sizing or fit being off. Maybe, again that's me.

Journal Entries

I found the Eco mesh perfect for the Sierra.Too hot for summer in Colorado.Acceptable for springtime in the Appalachians.In the Sierra it was like having air conditioning when the wind blew. Keep the sun off you, and keeps most of the dirt off you, which shorts don't.

Cut really roomy with low crotch for the waist size I would say. On me a small is borderline too small in waist at the start of a hike. and a medium is way too big overall. That said I managed to use a small for several hikes. If you were under about a hundred and sixty pounds it'll fit probably. I have a 32-inch waist. I think the small is like 31 inch waist in the medium is like 34.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 02-25-2019 at 21:22.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I found the Eco mesh perfect for the Sierra.Too hot for summer in Colorado.Acceptable for springtime in the Appalachians.In the Sierra it was like having air conditioning when the wind blew. Keep the sun off you, and keeps most of the dirt off you, which shorts don't.

Cut really roomy with low crotch for the waist size I would say. On me a small is borderline too small in waist at the start of a hike. and a medium is way too big overall. That said I managed to use a small for several hikes. If you were under about a hundred and sixty pounds it'll fit probably. I have a 32-inch waist. I think the small is like 31 inch waist in the medium is like 34.
    I have a 32" waist and originally bought the mediums. They are much too large. Gotta cinch the belt up to make it work.

Journal Entries

I have a 32" waist and originally bought the mediums. They are much too large. Gotta cinch the belt up to make it work.

Yep. If you're used to a small being 30-32 and a medium be in 32-34 you're going to be disappointed. It's like there's a sizing gap from 32 to 34 in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Yep. If you're used to a small being 30-32 and a medium be in 32-34 you're going to be disappointed. It's like there's a sizing gap from 32 to 34 in my opinion.
    Yeah. Usually smalls are kinda tight and im in the right in the middle of mediums. Not with RR.

Same thing with the inseams. Who the hell wears 32" inseam from them? The 30s fit me fine. But they are baggy.

Are you using a medium or a small? Ill cut ya a deal on medium 30s lol.

Journal Entries

Yeah. Usually smalls are kinda tight and im in the right in the middle of mediums. Not with RR.

Same thing with the inseams. Who the hell wears 32" inseam from them? The 30s fit me fine. But they are baggy.

Are you using a medium or a small? Ill cut ya a deal on medium 30s lol.

I wear a small. Its a little snug at160, but after a few weeks its fine. Yeah, I were a medium fine in just about everything else.

I ordered a few sizes of the Eco Mesh and just coldn't get a fit that I wanted to hike in.

I now use the Exoffico Sand Fly pants and I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    I ordered a few sizes of the Eco Mesh and just coldn't get a fit that I wanted to hike in.

I now use the Exoffico Sand Fly pants and I love them.

I have a pr too. Like them. I do have to be careful with the size of mesh insert brief liners when freeballing which is normal.

++ New Posts ++