WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Im trying to thru hike this year.

My brother's not going with me anymore. He's gonna hold my job and "be me" while I'm gone. Hopefully he passes the background check. He plead no contest to assault 5 years ago. It was ridiculous that he was charged at all. I know. I was there.

The other variable is my daughter has to finish her GED.

We talked it over and due to our situation this makes the most financial sense for us.

Now I feel like so much to do and so little time.

Really all I have to do is sew my quilt and figure out if I'm going to stay keto on the trail. I'm leaning towards keeping keto but I'm not sure how to do it.

Well, don't rush it. You still have a good 6 weeks for a mid April start. But don't procrastinate either. Good luck.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Somewhere buried in the food/cooking section here is a post i started when I was hiking on Keto, lots of good info from the other people here in the thread.

Images

Gracebowen, good luck to you and have fun. I hope you post about it so we can follow your journey.
    Last edited by imscotty; 02-28-2019 at 00:45.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Good luck! I was signed up for a start, but a sudden and tragic family issue has me doubting any time to go. Think I'll do some shake downs in Arkansas and maybe even a long section on the AT.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

R U still going to bring a hatchet and machete, fish, hunt forage food and bring a small dog, build primitive shelters along the way?

Do you realize you may now border on being an UL backpacker? What a way to reduce you load out!

Something tells me your bro was never 100% committed to completing a thru himself. Gonna be harsh sounding but maybe you're better off in some ways. You can still find other thrus 100% committed to completions or a particular shared experience that can inspire you supporting each other without the physical and mental baggage your brother may have been contributing?

Images

You could push back you start date, to see how things work out, by doing a flip flop hike starting from Harper's Ferry or by going SOBO

I am planning HF nobo. Then HF sobo flip flop.

Inside out flip flop.

Good luck and enjoy it. I will share something that a former thru hiker told me a few years before I did one that was of value (to me). He said to avoid ambiguous phrases like "try to thruhike". He said to tell people that you were going to thru hike. He said when you tell people you are going to do it in such a definitive manner it reinforces a commitment.In retrospect, I think there is a great deal of truth to that....people I met on the trail who used phrases like "i'm going as far as I can and hopefully that is Katadhin (or Springer)" or "I'm thru hiking but only if I don't get tired of it", etc. generally did not finish. Not that it really matters at the end of the day. Just a suggestion that was helpful to me that I am passing along.

either way, whether you go 4 miles or 40 miles or 2,180..this year or in the future...enjoy your hike!!!

Do or do not,
    There is no try.
    - Yoda
    😁

@gracebowen - do you have all your gear you need?
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    @gracebowen - do you have all your gear you need?
    Not quite yet. Just need a few things

Good luck!!! Have fun...

++ New Posts ++