WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Journal Entries

Double post
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-08-2019 at 00:19.

Journal Entries

Roan is spectacular in june.

GSMNP is remote.

Wanting a hotel in middle kind of screw things to end in convenient place too.

But, heres a suggestion:

Hike from Newfound gap in GSMNP south to NOC.
    Spend night in hotel in fontana village after 39 mi, then another 30 to noc.
    Great scenery in both parts . Shower/food at fontana and noc.

Or just take longer trip and do gsmnp, and hit gatlinburg midway. My only concern would be all 3 getting hitch to town.

Oner of my favorite sections is winding stair gap to fontana. Its 59 mi. Balds, lookout tower (not sure status after fire), and you can get ride to hotel at fontana from noc if you want, or town, or stay at the little hole in wall motels like hike inn or tuskeegee motel.

These are highest elevation sections in south, and will be coolest hiking too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-06-2019 at 00:01.

Thanks for the info Gambit. But wondering, what is 'BRP'?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Barnyard View Post
    Thanks for the info Gambit. But wondering, what is 'BRP'?
    BRP = Blue Ridge Parkway

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Have you considered the Great Smoky Mountains National Park? Seems to fit the bill. And so many side trails ... could shorten hike if necessary. Also that time of year the wildfowers are amazing. And TWO towns near middle: Gatlinburg & Cherokee.
    The LeConte Lodge is IN the National Park.
    http://www.lecontelodge.com

Wayne

Consider the entire state of NJ from Greenwood Lake to Delaware water Gap (State Line to State Line). 72 miles and get get a good taste of everything the trail has to offer. Stay at the Mohican Outdoor Center towards the end of the week to get a shower. There are a couple great places to eat along the way. I did this section in 2016 as my first section hike, No Regrets!
    Trail Name: Gadget
    Completed:
    NJ - 2016
    NY- 2017
    CT - 2018
    PA, DWG to Pt Clinton - 2019
    NJ (Again) - 2020

Planned:
    PA, Pt Clinton to Duncannon - 2021
    PA, Duncannon to Pen-Mar - 2022

I agree, I think this is a good suggestion! Erwin to Mtn Harbour.

If considering GSMNP, you'll have to register in advance for permits / shelters and stay on schedule. https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index...PermitWritemyessaytodayTypeID=1
    Hey guys,

I've found a Hiking trail guide for the Smokies, but I'd like to hear some personal experience examples or advice. Any trail recommendations and safety tips for a beginner? Sorry for asking, my first hiking experience was last year and then I had health issues (as I've a light form of asthma).

Thanks,
    Randy
    Last edited by RandyBonnette; 03-27-2019 at 02:15. Reason: typos

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RandyBonnette View Post
    Hey guys,

I've found a Hiking trail guide for the Smokies, but I'd like to hear some personal experience examples or advice. Any trail recommendations and safety tips for a beginner? Sorry for asking, my first hiking experience was last year and then I had health issues (as I've a light form of asthma).

Thanks,
    Randy

Make reservations for shelters /distance you will hike per day
    Look down
    Follow trail

The Smokies are a beautiful place. Pretty remote, and during the week there isn’t as much traffic, but on weekends there are a lot of more tourists. As others have said, you need to go on the website and reserve your shelter spots, so look at maps and figure out your schedule. You can start booking 30 days in advance of your first night. DO NOT wait past that time to book. The shelters often fill up. It’s $4 per night per person. This all sounds like a hassle, but the Smokies are a beautiful place. Someone else posted to Start at Newfound Gap (sort of the middle of the Smokies) and head south. Resupply at Fontana and continue on to NOC. This would be a very nice hike, but a little longer than 50 miles, but this would be a great hike. There is nothing like ending a hike at NOC, and sitting on the deck over the river, eating a hot sandwich with a cold beer and watching the kayakers playing in the river.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Whack-a-mole View Post
    There is nothing like ending a hike at NOC, and sitting on the deck over the river, eating a hot sandwich with a cold beer and watching the kayakers playing in the river.
    I perfer sitting in restaurant next to river on cool morning, eating bacon and eggs, and drinking coffee.

In middle of hike, not end. Hits spot after several days in trail.

I perfers it so much, i done it several times.

NOC is a great stop. Ending thar might be good too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-28-2019 at 22:49.

Limiting a first time entire AT hiking experience during May June to GSMNP AT shelters as one from CO w children could have some pitfalls.

How about AT sections with ridges, flowers, forests, waterfalls, ovelooks, rivers, ponies, done in some style that offers a diversity of solitude and staying sometimes at larger AT shelters?

It might be easier if the trip isn't entirely limited to the AT.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++