Default Approach shoes - worth it?

How much difference do approach shoes make on slippery scrambling or even 5.0-5.4 territory? Is it worth listing for?

I was out trying to explore a new crag in wet and muddy conditions yesterday and my worn-out trail runners had me questioning my sanity. I have assumed that people would like to take a look at YouTube.

Outdoor Gear Lab runs extensive reviews of approach shoes.
    I have LaSportiva Ultra Raptors. The soles sticky. Getting the right size is a challenge. I bought big and then traded them for bigger. I like them!
    Wayne

Yes. Approach shoes will make a huge difference. I've led many routes (mostly below 5.6) in approach shoes and TR routes up to 5.9 on them. I've had 8 or 9 various pairs over the years and the Scarpa Crux are currently my favorite.

Are Approach shoes suitable for thru hiking?

Images

Trail runners are all I ever wear any more, basically sneakers with bigger knobs. Not sure if they are 'approach shoes' but light and comfortable. I am done with boots forever.

Journal Entries

Vasque used to make a hiking shoe with the rubber used on rock climbing shoes (no not that vibram garbage). It was simply amazing, I walked up stuff that others couldn't do using all 4's. I have since looked for approach shoes, but couldn't get a good fit.

In some ways it was too sticky, as in if you step on a rock and it starts to roll/move it is sometimes difficult to get your foot off of it when you want to.

I found trail runners were good for everything! Happy trails!

++ New Posts ++