WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    I left a pair of size 10.5 Vivo barefoots in a hiker box in TN, I hated them. They weighed a good bit more than expected as well, as the more recently (2016) manufactured ones don't have a removable insole. The tops were less flexible than I expected, and pretty much always felt clammy and non breathable as a camp shoe. As a water shoe, they weren't even particularly grippy. I also recall paying way too much at the site that had my size.
    When the Vivo barefoot came out (the one with the removable liner that I think had the sub-name "ultra pure") had a specification of 4oz each (1/2 pound a pair) and cost in the ballpark of $80 (so yeah, really expensive).

What I always wondered was how good were they on the trail?
    I've hiked short distances in the $20 shoes listed above when water crossings were within almost back to back, but they were impractical as the sole just wasn't thick enough to protect your feet from sharp rocks and poky sticks.

I wear Hounds in camp. They are excellent for water crossing, too. They are made of rubber with holes for venting and draining water. A velcro strap secures the shoe on your foot. A pair weigh 9 ounces - size 10/11. I wear an 11 boot and the Hounds fit comfortably.

I bought the shoes at Walgreens for $15, but I don't know if they still sell them. Walmart sells them online, but they are $5 more than what i paid at Walgreens. I couldn't find them on Amazon, but I know they used to sell them for around $12. As far as transporting them on the trail, I use carabiners to attach them to the outside of my backpack. The same holes used for venting and draining make an excellent attachment point for the carabiner.

20190304_102356.jpg
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by ldsailor View Post
    I wear Hounds in camp. They are excellent for water crossing, too. They are made of rubber with holes for venting and draining water. A velcro strap secures the shoe on your foot. A pair weigh 9 ounces - size 10/11. I wear an 11 boot and the Hounds fit comfortably.

I bought the shoes at Walgreens for $15, but I don't know if they still sell them. Walmart sells them online, but they are $5 more than what i paid at Walgreens. I couldn't find them on Amazon, but I know they used to sell them for around $12. As far as transporting them on the trail, I use carabiners to attach them to the outside of my backpack. The same holes used for venting and draining make an excellent attachment point for the carabiner.

20190304_102356.jpg

+1 on Hounds
    https://www.dawgsfootwear.com/collec...es-black-12-13

currently sold out, but this is where I bought, they will email when available apparently

Here is what I use. 7.5 ounces based on my scale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by beefsmack View Post
    Here is what I use. 7.5 ounces based on my scale.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    I don't like they do not have a strap to help hold them on your feet. I've had one of the kids loose a water shoe of this design while trying to cross a creek.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    When the Vivo barefoot came out (the one with the removable liner that I think had the sub-name "ultra pure") had a specification of 4oz each (1/2 pound a pair) and cost in the ballpark of $80 (so yeah, really expensive).

What I always wondered was how good were they on the trail?
    I've hiked short distances in the $20 shoes listed above when water crossings were within almost back to back, but they were impractical as the sole just wasn't thick enough to protect your feet from sharp rocks and poky sticks.
    All valid pre.

Cost is relative. Sometimes we pay more dollars up front but possibly get greater durability, use, performance, personal fit, etc. For example sleeping bags. Another example, OMG I have a pr of Keen Newport sandals that will not die and with original cush and arch support, no torn straps, still good traction, working stretch, etc despite being bought in 07 for what was for me an astronomical $90, more $$$ than I ever spent on a sandal, but cost averaged over the 11 yrs I've used them, having not only done 100' 's and 100's of trail miles in the rain(did a LT SOBO and wore then at least 1000 AT miles) but worn off trail for water activities,paddling, casual dress, beach combing, etc. they are what I've come to recognize as ridiculously INEXPENSIVE. Comparing Crocs to the Vivo Barefoots Five Toes remember there have been those that did AT thrus barefooted. IMO they can last longer than CROCS but agreed dont provide underfoot cush like teh CROCS. I've seen more than one pr of beaten up Vivios in AT hiker boxes that were used by LASHers and Thrus.

For myself, whether they were good on the trail depends on the wt of kit and the trail conditions. I note more folks on trails like the PCT where there are less pointy rocks than the AT using them. I've had LD hikers swear by them although that's not my typical way to go. I've seen them worn by coastal hikers and sometimes on very wet rainy hikes. Pokey sticks and cacti dont do so well when wearing sandals if not mindful.

There is a similar thread in the ultralight section.
    I'd love someone to guinea pig these for me:
    Supposedly 2.8 ounces and the wearer can stand on Legos...
    https://skinners.cc/shop/skinners/?a...EaAreoEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    There is a similar thread in the ultralight section.
    I'd love someone to guinea pig these for me:
    Supposedly 2.8 ounces and the wearer can stand on Legos...
    https://skinners.cc/shop/skinners/?a...EaAreoEALw_wcB
    This guy gives a pretty extensive review

https://youtu.be/Q9NOt53ph-A
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post

Thank you for that.

If they don't breathe well, they wouldn't be a good camp shoe for me or others whose feet sweat a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post

Thank you for that.

If they don't breathe well, they wouldn't be a good camp shoe for me or others whose feet sweat a lot.
    I agree. I'm thinking they'd be a lot like those work gloves that are dipped in rubber on one side. My hands sweat like crazy in those things. Last thing you want is sweaty feet going into your sleeping bag at night.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

FB_IMG_1549603406150.jpg
    O'Neill "reef boots".
    The current model is quite a mouthful, the "Reactor II REEF 2mm Boot". I don't know why they call it that. Basically a neoprene slipper with a sole.
    As camp shoes, they're very comfortable and keep my socks clean. For creek crossings, they let me keep my socks and shoes dry. I don't guess there's anything special about them except for having excellent grip on slippery rocks, but that's what I use.

Didn't actually buy them for backpacking, but they're multi-purpose!
    20190306_021203.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++