WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Going to the Flip Flop Festival

I'm going to the Flip Flop Festival in Harpers Ferry at the end of April, just for the enjoyment - I'm not planning a flip flop at this time.

Does anyone have suggestions for getting the most out of it, or general input about the event? Thanks.

I think I wanna go too. If I can hike this year.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    Your hike looking iffy again Grace?

I believe the ATC has a list of the activities planned on their website. See which ones are of interest to you and attend. Or just mingle with the crowd. There will likely be some venders there showing off their wares.

If your coming all the way from Texas (Ruth) spend some time visiting the town of Harpers Ferry and near-by historical sites like Gettysburg. Maybe even go for a day hike, follow the flip floppers out of town and up to Weverton cliffs for the view.

I'm going to miss the festive as I'll be there about a week early to start my section hike to the DWG. I need to finish by May11, so can't dally...
    Spend a day in DC, it's real pretty that time of year. The cherry blossoms should be out and there are lots of flower gardens in bloom.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by gracebowen View Post
    DM me when you know for sure and maybe we can meet up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Your hike looking iffy again Grace?

I believe the ATC has a list of the activities planned on their website. See which ones are of interest to you and attend. Or just mingle with the crowd. There will likely be some venders there showing off their wares.

If your coming all the way from Texas (Ruth) spend some time visiting the town of Harpers Ferry and near-by historical sites like Gettysburg. Maybe even go for a day hike, follow the flip floppers out of town and up to Weverton cliffs for the view.

I'm going to miss the festive as I'll be there about a week early to start my section hike to the DWG. I need to finish by May11, so can't dally...
    Spend a day in DC, it's real pretty that time of year. The cherry blossoms should be out and there are lots of flower gardens in bloom.
    Ooh, forgot about the cherry blossoms! I have family in DC so am definitely stopping there.

Thanks for the tips. The ATC will be providing some guided hikes, so that should be fun in addition to local sightseeing. Hope your section hike goes well!

I’m planning on attending on Sunday, before leaving for a section hike south to Waynesboro VA. They just recently posted the schedule of events online and you can sign up for email updates of any new info if you are into that sort of thing.

Think I’m taking my family on Saturday... the quest seems up our alley

It was recently decided that we are gonna try to work things out for me to go this year

Enjoy the adventure.
    Termite fart so much they are responsible for 3% of global methane emissions.

Wish they would bring back "The Ruck". Tons of fun and you can learn a lot from your fellow hiker.

Quote Originally Posted by RuthN View Post
    DM me when you know for sure and maybe we
    can meet up there.
    I'm not going to make it this year.

The Flip Flop Festival website that is maintained by Harpers Ferry-Bolivar Trail & Town Alliance volunteers (also the primary organizers of the festival) is now pretty well fleshed out. Some things will be subject to change, but at the core of the festival the hiking and flip-flop related workshops and activities are finalized with lots of informative workshops, pack shakedowns, the celebration of flip floppers, pancake breakfast, flip flopper kick off, and more.

There's more than ever going on this year for everyone else, both Saturday and Sunday. Interpretive hikes will be led by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, the Harpers Ferry Park Foundation, and the Sierra Club. REI is returning, as is the Flip Flop Festival Quest. There will be new things like a workshop on forest bathing. The festival starts with yoga Saturday morning and ends up with a night sky viewing program Sunday night.

Of course, there will be music and vendors, and this year, for the first time, the music and vendors will be up at Camp Hill/Festival Central (above ATC) for both Saturday and Sunday.

Check it out at www.flipflopfestival.org.

ATC will be sending out a press release soon, probably tomorrow. I'm really excited about everything that's happening this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    The Flip Flop Festival website that is maintained by Harpers Ferry-Bolivar Trail & Town Alliance volunteers (also the primary organizers of the festival) is now pretty well fleshed out. Some things will be subject to change, but at the core of the festival the hiking and flip-flop related workshops and activities are finalized with lots of informative workshops, pack shakedowns, the celebration of flip floppers, pancake breakfast, flip flopper kick off, and more.

There's more than ever going on this year for everyone else, both Saturday and Sunday. Interpretive hikes will be led by Harpers Ferry National Historical Park, the Harpers Ferry Park Foundation, and the Sierra Club. REI is returning, as is the Flip Flop Festival Quest. There will be new things like a workshop on forest bathing. The festival starts with yoga Saturday morning and ends up with a night sky viewing program Sunday night.

Of course, there will be music and vendors, and this year, for the first time, the music and vendors will be up at Camp Hill/Festival Central (above ATC) for both Saturday and Sunday.

Check it out at www.flipflopfestival.org.

ATC will be sending out a press release soon, probably tomorrow. I'm really excited about everything that's happening this year!
    I'm excited too, and thank you for all you do at the ATC.

Did you give a talk about flip flopping at the ALDHA Gathering in 2017? It was very persuasive.

I'm going with someone who day hikes but has never camped overnight - it should be interesting!

++ New Posts ++