WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fanny Packs Zpack Multipack vs thrupack summit bum UL

I am looking at a larger Fanny pack to wear in front when backpacking. These 2 are 3/3.5 liter. Both of these allow use by belt or by strapping to chest. But Zpacks provides those straps. Any one have experience with either? Are they mostly waterproof? or will phones etc still need to be in a ziplock? Anything you liked or disliked about either one? I like the idea of DCF to keep things dry from rain and sweat.

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/backpack_lid.shtml

https://www.thrupack.com/shop/ul-bum

I like the Multipack and have owned one for five years. I'd call it HIGHLY water resistant but I'd still put things that absolutely have to stay dry in a ziplock.

The Section Hiker Blog - a great blog - has this to say about the subject https://sectionhiker.com/diy-wet-rib...mple-projects/

I like my Z-Pacls Multi pack but like Coffee said,if you need something kept try it's better to put it in a ziplock.

Next month will be 6 years I've been using the original Multipack. Mine does not get, and never has been, attached to the pack. I got ZPacks to throw in an extra of the long strap(now you can buy spare strap kits) when ordering. One goes around my neck, and the other around my body. I like having it separate. Solves the problem with fanny and chest packs being uncomfortable, and either too high or low.
    Mine gets used with both my backpacking and dayhiking backpacks, and a fanny pack. Also by itself when I drop by a short trail to check out a waterfall or something, and only take a 500mL water bottle. Sometimes lengthen the top strap and wear it over one shoulder, too.
    Love the convenient access to snacks, map, phone/camera or whatever.
    It resists water well, and usually gets worn over my shell. Just depends.
    Long term con: the cuben/DCF inner surface on mine has delaminated, so it has a whole roll of repair tape in there, and could use a little more.
    I'll replace it at some point, maybe with the optional 4.8oz/yd gridstop fabric version. I'm quite ok with the amount of use I've gotten out of this one, though, and it's not used up yet.

Here's how I usually wear it:
    20190307_092041.jpg20190308_011922.jpg
    Very handy piece of gear.
    Last edited by OwenM; 03-08-2019 at 03:48.

Both work great for their intended purpose.

You can easily rig the summit bum to be a chest pack.

I wouldnt get the ultralight summit bum. I would get dyneemax or xpac.

Both work.. the multipack excels when strapped to your chest and the thru pack excels as a fanny pack.

Which do you want more?

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Images

I've been thinking about the Multipack for a couple of years, to replace my cheapo waist pack. But that Thrupack might be just exactly what I am looking for - thanks for the link.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I've used the multi-pack. Not waterproof. I used all four straps because I found it slapped around too much with just two--particularly on uphills. I gave it up because I got tired of all the re-fastening I had to do every time I took off and put on my pack. I also got hotter in the summer with it on my chest. It is a very well-made product that should last a long time.

++ New Posts ++