I have banked on two solo backpacking trips this year, one of which Lord willing and the creeks don't rise being the Wonderland Trail. I have read about the trip extensively and searched some on the posts already here on Whiteblaze and so I understand the walkup option, the rough road-ride to Mowich. I do have some specific questions if anyone would be so inclined to help me out:

1. If I don't get a permit, where else would be a must experience ( I have never backpacked the West Coast unless you count Kauai.)

2. I am thinking of starting at Mowich Lake and heading CCW saving Spray Park for last (if I end up having the legs for it). I am also hoping this start location and direction will aid me in a possible permit? I am already starting and ending on a week day although the end of the trip does conclude over Labor Day. I could float my start dates to ending the trip before then but I figured August is a wash anyway as far as number of permits applied for.

3. Is there a place to crash in the rental car at the Park until my start the following day or better yet a cheap option for camp /stay between SEATAC and Mowich? I have thought of putting down my night one location at Mowich Lake (starting point) but I'm afraid if I get in too late it would be my only option for night one and thus no alternate for day one setting me up for a denial on the permit if Mowich is full on that day.

4. I'm going to apply for alternate camps each day in addition to my primary choices to have increased odds at receiving a permit. Is there any other things that may help increase those odds? I'm going solo so I guess I can only put one permit in from what I've read...

5. Would there be a reason to apply for two people instead of one, such as offering someone on the forums the second spot to help split the rental car fees? Probably a long shot, but I figured with the limited permits it couldn't hurt?

Thank you for the help. Hopeful and ready to see Washington!