WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The absolute best magic I received was just into Va. Somehow I lost the little "key ring" and the peg that goes on the corner of my tent, into the pole. Happened to stumble across this as I was setting up my tent the night before and it was 3-4 days to the next small town (probably didn't even have a hardware store there). Stopped short to stay the night in a shelter and low an behold sitting in the corner of the shelter were 2 key rings and 1 peg that I needed to set up my tent. Coincidence? It wasn't mine, it was a lot smaller, but it's still on my tent to this day. To me, THAT was trail magic. But that's just one instance I endured.
    Now I'm not one to turn down a cold one (soda or ?) but in my case, there seemed to be a lot more on the Southern end than up North. But heading North, there are a lot more "deli's" and such so maybe that's why. I don't know, just rambling but if it's there I'll partake and have a good conversation but to contradict myself a little bit, I think there's too much magic (feeds) on the trail. There were a few times on the Southern end (more often than not) where I just restocked, headed out, then ran into someone cooking up burgers. More North, I think the only magic I truly remember was TOG (The Omelet Guy).
    - Trail name: Thumper

Images

Trail Magic works both ways (Part 3) The next day, leaving my still limping 120 pound dog home I drove back up to the AT crossing on Caribou Pond Road, parked and hiked back up to where my mountain bike was stashed. Jumped on and had a nice, but rough downhill ride back to my car. Being that it was still early I decided to take a longer way home so I headed to Rangeley Maine to go home on a more scenic route. Passing through Rangeley I saw three guys who looked like Thrus. I stopped and asked if I could give them a ride back to the AT crossing. Not the same one I had been visiting lately. They said that they had to stop at the grocery store and resupply. I told then no sweat, I would take then there and wait while they shopped. The road to the crossing was on my route home, and the store was also. They bought their stuff and we headed for the crossing. One of the guys asked me about the mountain bike in the back of the truck and I told them the story without naming my dog. They laughed and said. "Oh, you mean Emerson". Without knowing I had picked up the guys that Emerson had followed heading SOBO on the AT three days before. Trail magic can sometimes go both ways.
    Last edited by Old Hillwalker; 03-07-2019 at 16:52.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Been picking up hitchhikers with or without backpacks all my life.
    Maybe a burger or hot dog for dude walking down the highway that looks like he needs one...
    Or dude walking or peddling across country flop at the pad,,, Trail Magic?

Fellow hiker running 20 or so miles to get a National Gaurd to helo fly me out of the wilderness in Maine, then the Doctor letting me stay at his house for two days, then two people picking me up and letting me stay at their houses on the long walk back to the trail...
    All the people that picked me up while just flopping around over the years... Just some very good people.

Of course soldiers are coming home are hungry... Probably hungrier for real food than most hikers that only have been out for a week or two.
    Last edited by petedelisio; 03-07-2019 at 16:18.

If people want to do something nice, we should let them and encourage them. Why pick at who receives the good deeds? If I thought like some of you, I could say let's not feed returning soldiers, first responders, or teachers. I'd argue that most of them are better off than the general public, especially first responders if you judge by waistline. Maybe we should only help the homeless? Wait, some choose to be homeless, I guess we should help some other group...but who?
    It is what it is.

Trail Magic is unexpected and serendipitous and does not have 'south' vs. 'north' borders. "Hiker Feeds", on the other hand, is definitely a southern thing.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    If people want to do something nice, we should let them and encourage them. Why pick at who receives the good deeds? If I thought like some of you, I could say let's not feed returning soldiers, first responders, or teachers. I'd argue that most of them are better off than the general public, especially first responders if you judge by waistline. Maybe we should only help the homeless? Wait, some choose to be homeless, I guess we should help some other group...but who?
    Wrong.

Anyone can do whatever they want away from the trail. No one cares.

When you set up in a parking lot where people must walk by, or leave coolers by trail, the presence and atmosphere impacts many peoples experience negatively. Many times its done illegally as well, by ignorant people copying what other ignorant people have done.

Even ATC recognizes this .

The AT is supposed to be a national scenic trail, not a travelling party. You are free to party anywhere. Too many thru hikers are too dumb to realize this.

Its bad for the trail. If you dont agree, your part of the problem.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-07-2019 at 17:08.

Met SamIAm on the KI-Jo Mary road in the HMW serving hot dogs, burgers, chips and beer. Listened to his stories for an hour. Was very entertaining stopping and talking to other hikers.

Got a ride back to our car on the other side of Katahdin one evening right at dusk when we were expecting to walk the 16 miles on the tote road that night. That was trail magic.

Met Miss Janet at the Grafton Notch trail head right after Hurricane Harvey with our car at the other end of the Grafton Notch Loop Trail. Expected to walk down Rt 26 that day. I told my GF to keep the faith, the trail will provide. She was tickled pink when I told her who was parked in the van and was going to give us a ride back to our car. The trail did provide.

I've seen several hiker feeds in the Whites, either near the trail crossing at Rattle River, the parking lot outside Crawford Notch State park or at Beaver Brook campground. We were either finishing or starting a section so we never partook of the free food.

To keep the good Karma flowing, I'll offer rides to hikers up in Carrabassett Valley, Mt Washington Valley or Gorham if I'm traveling thru. I figure I'm paying kindness forward.

I live near Springer Mountain and day hike often in the spring when thru-hikers are starting. I was thinking the other day about what I could offer for "trail magic", but as somebody said before, they are still fat and happy and dry and in high spirits. I always offer to pack out people's trash for them.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    If you dont agree, your part of the problem.
    I would encourage you to read your posts carefully before you hit the "post" button my friend. otherwise, you come across as a self-appointed expert. or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 4shot View Post
    I would encourage you to read your posts carefully before you hit the "post" button my friend. otherwise, you come across as a self-appointed expert. or worse.
    he's a realist. and spot on

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches View Post
    I always offer to pack out people's trash for them.
    That's very kind, I'm sure appreciated, and good for the trail, other hikers, and wildlife.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

I kinda wish organised trail magic would tone down a bit. Being from NH I never really saw it until I started hiking nobo from GA.

Low key is great. But the 30+ people cookouts on the side of the road is kinda disgusting.

But i wasnt gonna turn away the free food.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++