WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Georgia

Default Georgia

Hello All,

Im planning a trip to Georgia in early June for a 5 day backpacking trip. Does anyone know if you need a permit or not for the trail or for the shelters? Also any reservations on the shelters? Ive hiked the trail quite a bit but never in Georgia.

Thanks,
    MW

no permits needed in GA but bring a tent in case shelters are full
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Always do! Thank you boss

MW

No permit needed. But dude no way I would use those things! When i did the ga section some of those things stunk bad. I used my tent and camped far away from those things. You may have to use your tent anyway i suspect we will have a bumper crop of mosquito's this year. Have fun!!

Bugs will indeed be bad this year. I would bring and only consider sleeping in my tent. But to answer your question directly, the only places on the entire AT you need any kind of permits is GSMNP, SNP and BST.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I'm local to the area. Feel free to PM me if you need further info or have questions that would not be of general interest to the forum.

I've lived in northwest Georgia since 1979. I've back section hiking the AT since the '90s. I've never encountered a mosquito on the Georgia AT (nor, for that matter, in North Carolina, Tennessee or Virginia). And I rarely see ticks in Georgia, and never past about early June. Gnats can be an issue in late April and early May. Yellow jackets can be an issue from July through October. That's about it for insects.

Many of the shelters in Georgia are very nice or in nice locations. I'd sleep at Stover Creek, Hawk Mountain, and Gooch Mountain without hesitation. THe only one I'd probably avoid for certain is Blood Mountain.

The shelters will not be very crowded in June, barring some random crowd like a Boy Scout troop or youth group. The last of the busy thru-hiker season is generally early May.

Ain't no stinkin' squeeters on the trail in Ga. With all the rain we will have plenty of gnats though. They don't bite but will annoy the crap out of you. Shelters will not be an issue in June. The throngs will already be gone. See you on the trail!

Dan I couldn't agree more, Shelters in Georgia are fairly clean except when the spring swarm comes through. 3/15/09, first day of my thru hike, there were 70 people at one shelter, pouring rain, and lots of noise.

++ New Posts ++