Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
for the record, and at risk of causing more of a tangent than i already have, i only bring up the slackpack reverse over moosilauke in discussions of purism to point out that very few, if any, hikers hike the whole trail while never doing something someone somewhere would call "unpure." i find it interesting the things that are objectionable and the things that are not, to those who seem to care.

another place, even more curious, where i observed such a thing to be very common is north of pearisburg, though not as common.
As the OP not sure how we got to this point, but I find it interesting. For whatever it's worth, which is probably very little, I have not slackpacked, yellow-blazed, or even blue-blazed on bad weather trails--yet anyway--and am committed to continuing to hike as I have between Springer and Hanover and all my day, weekend, and overnight training hikes in between. I don't criticize anyone for doing so. I've noticed a lot of the 2019 thru hiker-vloggers this year slackpacking and taking zeros because of the weather. I think you have to do what you feel is safe, enjoyable, or some combination of the two. Some of us masochists like the challenge of hiking with a full pack. I love my pack and feel lost without it, as crazy as that sounds. I rarely stay in hostels--using them mainly as re-supply points or parking my car. I use re-supply boxes because I found on my Massachusetts section hike that I would much rather be hiking or resting than food shopping. In any case, thanks to everyone for the advice so far. You have me thoroughly intimidated by the Whites but I'm sure as my planning falls into place I'll get over it.