WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'll peg the odds of this guy finishing all 3 in a year at 1 in a 10,000. At 71, you don't train as you go at 10 mpd and then ramp it up to 30 mpd on the northern sections of the pct/cdt. Doing the AT alone will be a grueling finish in the north for him

That being said, I hope he has a damn good time trying!

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    Both Squeaky and Swami accomplished it in similar ways, hiking an entire trail before starting another. Both started in the first week of May with the PCT NOBO (finishing in the last week of July), then did the CDT SOBO (finishing in early to mid-October), then did the AT SOBO (finishing in the last few days of December).

Brian Robinson (the first to do it) and Anish did some skipping around -- they both chose to improvise due to trail conditions in April in northern New England (they had started with the AT first). If you google their names and the phrase "triple crown" you can find accounts of how each did it.
    Legend also did it consecutively starting with the AT-PCT-CDT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Even someone who needs to get into shape can do better than 10 mpd for the first 387 miles. This can't be right. You wouldn't even attempt something like this if you weren't already hiking enough to do 20+ mile days.
    in 2011 or 2012 there was an article in some small time local newspaper i believe in PA about some guy who never hiked LD before attempting to break the supported FKT on the AT- while doing it unsupported. his target was something like 45 days. this at a time when no one had done a sub 60 day unsupported hike. some "journalist" actually interviewed him, wrote it up and published it. it was hysterical, anyone who knew anything about hiking thought it was an article from the onion. several parody "articles" appeared. he never even started. he was trying to do a shakedown hike or something in MA and it rained and he got all wet and he was never heard from again.

this whole thing reminds me every so slightly of that guy. this person seems more capable and experienced but at the same time is attempting something he clearly can not do.

[QUOTE=tdoczi;2240656]in 2011 or 2012 there was an article in some small time local newspaper i believe in PA about some guy who never hiked LD before attempting to break the supported FKT on the AT- while doing it unsupported. his target was something like 45 days. this at a time when no one had done a sub 60 day unsupported hike. some "journalist" actually interviewed him, wrote it up and published it. it was hysterical, anyone who knew anything about hiking thought it was an article from the onion. several parody "articles" appeared. he never even started. he was trying to do a shakedown hike or something in MA and it rained and he got all wet and he was never heard from again.

If he wants to go for it, God bless him. I don't think I could do it. At 34 I finished my AT thru hike, and my knees and feet were wrecked. I couldn't even walk down a flight of stairs. I hope he does it, it will give me hope.

Images

[QUOTE=sadlowskiadam;2240660]
    Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    in 2011 or 2012 there was an article in some small time local newspaper i believe in PA about some guy who never hiked LD before attempting to break the supported FKT on the AT- while doing it unsupported. his target was something like 45 days. this at a time when no one had done a sub 60 day unsupported hike. some "journalist" actually interviewed him, wrote it up and published it. it was hysterical, anyone who knew anything about hiking thought it was an article from the onion. several parody "articles" appeared. he never even started. he was trying to do a shakedown hike or something in MA and it rained and he got all wet and he was never heard from again.

If he wants to go for it, God bless him. I don't think I could do it. At 34 I finished my AT thru hike, and my knees and feet were wrecked. I couldn't even walk down a flight of stairs. I hope he does it, it will give me hope.
    i partly agree and partly dont.

for sure, on some level, everyone can do whatever they want to do. go for it.

my major point of concern is the media reporting it, as others have pointed out, as if saying "hey i'm going to do this" is the same thing as actually doing it. its the celebration of someone's goal when they havent actually came close to achieving it yet (and probably will never) that i find odd.

the fact that it is something he really can't achieve and the "journalists" involved somehow cant see that is also odd.

lastly, i have to wonder about the person who, while attempting to this very lofty goal that really is unreasonable, talks to the media and eggs them on and contributes to the hype of them setting out in chase of some wholly unattainable end. hes giving a talk at some special event thats going to take place 1/3rd of the way through the first of 3 trails? give me a break.

Images

slow day so i found the old thread this reminded me-

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...record+attempt

Well, according to the blog post by the Roanoke outdoor foundation, the talk is sponsered by the AARP and is entitled "Aging with Purpose". It doesn't sound like he's trying to egg on the media and the blog post seems to be promoting the AARP event. They found an old guy trying to do sometime most at his age couldn't or wouldn't and probably asked if he'd be willing to be part of the program.

Calling him a "Triple crown hiker" is a stretch, but they do go on to say he's trying to be a triple crown hiker in the next paragraph. The point isn't that this is an unrealistic goal, but that at his age he's even trying.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Well, according to the blog post by the Roanoke outdoor foundation, the talk is sponsered by the AARP and is entitled "Aging with Purpose". It doesn't sound like he's trying to egg on the media and the blog post seems to be promoting the AARP event. They found an old guy trying to do sometime most at his age couldn't or wouldn't and probably asked if he'd be willing to be part of the program.

Calling him a "Triple crown hiker" is a stretch, but they do go on to say he's trying to be a triple crown hiker in the next paragraph. The point isn't that this is an unrealistic goal, but that at his age he's even trying.
    well then at my advanced age of nearly 43 i hereby announce i aim to win the gold medal in gymnastics at the next olympics.

i'm available for speaking engagements and for interviews.

lots of retirees take up hiking. most of them don't delude themselves into thinking theyre going to do a calendar year triple crown. why are we celebrating the one who did?

Images

oh, and in case you missed the link in the article, theres also all of this non-sense. wanna buy a t-shirt?

https://www.gchh.org/triple-crown

May, 2018.
    Anish was very busy.
    Early May: Flipping from Vermont-New Hampshire border to the CDT at the New Mexico border.
    Late May: Flipping from Grants, NM to the PCT at the California border and hiking NOBO.
    She finished the Triple Crown on the CDT SOBO at Grants, NM.
    Wayne

well then at my advanced age of nearly 43 i hereby announce i aim to win the gold medal in gymnastics at the next olympics.
    i'm available for speaking engagements and for interviews.

lots of retirees take up hiking. most of them don't delude themselves into thinking theyre going to do a calendar year triple crown. why are we celebrating the one who did?
    Cool, do you have a gofundme page so I can send you money?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    Cool, do you have a gofundme page so I can send you money?
    yes, i need money to make t shirts to sell to my fans.

oh, and in case you missed the link in the article, theres also all of this non-sense. wanna buy a t-shirt?

https://www.gchh.org/triple-crown
    Yep, I missed that. So it is a production. It's just sad that when something like this which has little chance of succeeding is made into publicity stunt. Everything has to go right and nothing can go wrong. That's a tall order for anyone to pull off. It will be interesting to see how far he does get though.

His spot track for today looks erratic. One point puts him way off the trail, then the next quite a ways away.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

Yep, I missed that. So it is a production. It's just sad that when something like this which has little chance of succeeding is made into publicity stunt. Everything has to go right and nothing can go wrong. That's a tall order for anyone to pull off. It will be interesting to see how far he does get though.

His spot track for today looks erratic. One point puts him way off the trail, then the next quite a ways away.
    as for the talk he is giving, the website seems to be created by a company that actively promotes their clients. i wouldnt be surprised if they reached out to AARP and suggested the talk.

[QUOTE=tdoczi;2240662]
    Quote Originally Posted by sadlowskiadam View Post

i partly agree and partly dont.

for sure, on some level, everyone can do whatever they want to do. go for it.

my major point of concern is the media reporting it, as others have pointed out, as if saying "hey i'm going to do this" is the same thing as actually doing it. its the celebration of someone's goal when they havent actually came close to achieving it yet (and probably will never) that i find odd.

the fact that it is something he really can't achieve and the "journalists" involved somehow cant see that is also odd.

lastly, i have to wonder about the person who, while attempting to this very lofty goal that really is unreasonable, talks to the media and eggs them on and contributes to the hype of them setting out in chase of some wholly unattainable end. hes giving a talk at some special event thats going to take place 1/3rd of the way through the first of 3 trails? give me a break.
    Journalism has become about the “spectacular”, not necessary to be accurate, just fast.

If the media’s audience were rational, AOC would be a unknown. Talk about a unreasonable, unattainable goal, she gets daily press without much of a clue about what she’s talking about. Reasonable facts or assumptions not required, just sensational headlines.

Media = Marketing

Along these insightful comments WB is neo-journalism.

Does his hiking shirt say "Roanoke HealthFood Store FS?"

10 avg/day for the first 30. Umm, he may have thrown that best case scenario of 252 days out the window. Maybe he's got some super energy backpacker elixir connection hidden in his pack after shilling the odds with the WB bookies.

Now all I gotta hear he's Vegan inspired by Jurek.

Seriously, he's out there at 71 doing a hike. Looks good. Inspiring others. Providing value for others. Good for him. At least he's not carrying a tuba.

I still want to see his trail diet.

Images

[QUOTE=Hosh;2240711]

Journalism has become about the “spectacular”, not necessary to be accurate, just fast.

If the media’s audience were rational, AOC would be a unknown. Talk about a unreasonable, unattainable goal, she gets daily press without much of a clue about what she’s talking about. Reasonable facts or assumptions not required, just sensational headlines.

Media = Marketing
    not to defend her, but at least shes an elected official.

this is more like a front page article about a bartender who is discussing what they plan to do about north korea or syria after they get elected president.

if journalism as fallen so far that any sort of crazy claim that might be seen as interesting is news well then theres no capping it. i'd like to hope it is entirely that shot to hell yet.

but yes, thats why seeing inane things like this published is more troubling than it may initially seem on the surface.

Images

as for the talk he is giving, the website seems to be created by a company that actively promotes their clients. i wouldnt be surprised if they reached out to AARP and suggested the talk.
    plus, if the roanoke AARP wants to hold a trail event with a gust speaker in Daleville they should really just call Homer.

Calling him a "Triple crown hiker" is a stretch, but they do go on to say he's trying to be a triple crown hiker in the next paragraph.

What one aspires to be does not equate with being that. What one desires to do does not equate with having done it. There's apparent cognitive dissonance - differentiating between the two - in some folks brains that is externalized in this communication.

There's some work involved to earn those 7900 walked miles in a CY.

Little appreciable difference when AT wannabe thrus self label as being a thru hiker before they actually thru hiked. It's like saying one is an M.D. because they're studying, currently in the process of becoming a fully practicing M.D.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++