WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Well, good for him. I hope I can still walk when I'm 71. Oh wait, that's less then 5 years from now. Damn.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I plan a triple crown. I'll walk my dog around all three local parks in one afternoon.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I plan a triple crown. I'll walk my dog around all three local parks in one afternoon.
    Hahaha! Thats a good one.

Article doesn't say much, except this: Fagan is a health food store owner and expert in fitness and nutrition. He’s hiked all over the world and his current path is along the Appalachian Trail.Having tried the triple crown in one year myself when I was age 51, and now at 68, I know I couldn't do it now (didn't make it then either although we finished AT and CDT and about 900 miles of the PCT back then)
    Now, I still hike in many different countries and stay in shape.
    But, I get tired after 20-25 miles, where back then, I could do 30's every day.
    So, I wish him luck, and hopefully he knows a lot more than me about longevity of muscles and combatting tiredness, but I have to say, I have some doubt. At least I know I couldn't do it now.
    It's fun trying though. At least for the first 6 or 7 months.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Swami and Anish has a 71 yr old son?

Health food Store Owner. Hmm. Looks fit, typical looking somewhat wiry LD hiker frame, good smile, values purpose and focused intention, loose and relaxed, not too anxious, not too hung up on himself. Wonder if any of that correlates with being able to achieve a CY TC? I bet it does. Heath food Store Owner...I'm rooting for him. I hope he posts his trail diet.

I remember that fiddlehead. I've got your DVD! It looked like you guys were having a great time. You came close to pulling it off. What a summer!

After a month this guy is averaging a little over 10 miles a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    After a month this guy is averaging a little over 10 miles a day.
    Where did you see that Colter? I guess he's working his way into the CY TC.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Where did you see that Colter? I guess he's working his way into the CY TC.
    There's a link to his Spot here Dogwood. I think he started February 5 and has just passed Overmountain Shelter. One of the articles said he was planning on getting in shape on the trail. Probably not good plan when tackling a world class physical challenge.

TH Colter. Yeah dubious?

7900 by 360(allowing for 5 travel days). what's that about 22/dy?

It's only walking. Where RU LW? Tell it to this guy and the newspaper.

7900 by 30/day is about 264 days. Plenty of time if you can consistently do 30/day over extended time...even if the weather doesn't cooperate...and...and...

Swami's 235 dys pulling, what, mid 30's, set a bar. He was ready for it. 10200 in a yr is kinda good OK too

As one who has accomplished a CY TC said on WB(paraphrased) "not as difficult as it may at first seem; surprised more haven't done it; within more folks ability than realized." It's not on most hikers radar even if potentially able to pull it off though. Tagging off 8k miles backpacking in a CY is really really not all whipped cream piled to the ceiling off the charts re writing history difficult. We just think it is.

At 71 raises the stakes though. That's what we currently perceive as an exceptional 71 yr old if he pulls it off. Maybe that's the future though? We'll see.

The article is already calling him a triple crowner. I thought you had to triple the crown before you could be crowned a triple crowner?! Yanno, like calendar triple crown attempt or similar. Whatever, he’s 99.99 percent happy that’s for sure

I haven't really pondered the calendar year triple crown logistics ... can anyone comment on what the best way to tackle it is?
    Last edited by T.S.Kobzol; 03-14-2019 at 07:33.
    Let me go

Images

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    I haven't really pondered the calendar year triple crown logistics ... can anyone comment on what the best way to tackle it is?
    Its pretty straight-forward.
    1) Pick to do the AT either first or last.
    2) You have roughly 5 months to hike north of Kennedy Meadows on the PCT and Colorado North on the CDT, call it about 4000 miles. That has to happen roughly between mid May and mid October but the choice from item 1 abovemay further limit the time frame. (It probably is not a wise move to plan on starting in Maine after mid October.)
    3) Watch the snow and pick the order of trails. Assuming AT last, in all case to date people have started the PCT first likely because the Sierra is a bit kinder than Colorado with snow.
    4) Lace up the trail runners and walk.

For those that aren’t doing straight-thru hikes it is a bit different but the challenge will still be the 4000 miles in 5 months.

In the case of this hiker, I am highly skeptical of the “train on the trail” model. If it ends up working then the whole debate of the wisdom of this approach would end as well. All of the hire that I know that have done this were in hiking shape at the start. Swami for example have many thousands of miles of what I love to refer to as his “9 warm up hikes”. These included the PNT, FT, SHR, GET and several other trails. I wish this guy well.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Colter View Post
    I think he started February 5 and has just passed Overmountain Shelter.
    Even someone who needs to get into shape can do better than 10 mpd for the first 387 miles. This can't be right. You wouldn't even attempt something like this if you weren't already hiking enough to do 20+ mile days.

His worst shape is probably my best shape.

if I attempted this I wouldn't waste a day. I would start on January 1st, even if it meant I went loaded with winter gear.
    Let me go

Both Squeaky and Swami accomplished it in similar ways, hiking an entire trail before starting another. Both started in the first week of May with the PCT NOBO (finishing in the last week of July), then did the CDT SOBO (finishing in early to mid-October), then did the AT SOBO (finishing in the last few days of December).

Brian Robinson (the first to do it) and Anish did some skipping around -- they both chose to improvise due to trail conditions in April in northern New England (they had started with the AT first). If you google their names and the phrase "triple crown" you can find accounts of how each did it.

Edit: After Malto's post mentioning Legend doing it I looked up his timetable and trail order. He started the AT NOBO in early February and finished in late April, then finished the PCT NOBO in late July, then finished the CDT SOBO in mid-October. Doing it this way a hiker presumably needs to get the Baxter State Park mountain climbing permit to go up the Hunt Trail in April when that trail is officially closed to hikers.
    Last edited by map man; 03-14-2019 at 10:55.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

aah I see. One does not have to complete this between January 1st and December 31? So this is a span of 12 months and you can start at any time. Thanks for the info.
    Let me go

aah I see. One does not have to complete this between January 1st and December 31? So this is a span of 12 months and you can start at any time. Thanks for the info.
    All four people I mentioned did it between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 of a single calendar year (there is a fifth who has done it that way too but his name escapes me right now).
    Last edited by map man; 03-14-2019 at 09:30.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    All four people I mentioned did it between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 of a single calendar year (there is a fifth who has done it that way too but his name escapes me right now).
    Legend did it AT, PCT, CDT. He also did it “pure”. There was at Also least one other person that did it last year, I believe PCT,CDT,AT.

I believe there is a huge difference between a straight thru hike vs. flipping and skipping for the CYTC. Squeaky had a monster snow year on the southern PCT, Swami had never ending snow on the northern PCT. Not second guessing Flyin Brian’s flip, he had bad luck with NE weather but part of the challenge in doing the CYTC is dealing with what Mother Nature throws at you.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++