WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tent options for 6'5'' hiker: Please HELP!

Hey fellow Blazers, I hope other tall hikers can weigh in on options for a 6'5'' hiker. I am tired of touching one, or both, ends of the tent and what that does to my sleeping bag.

I think an A-frame mesh house type setup with a tarp and trekking poles would work, but I'm interested in hearing for the forum about single or double wall tents for tall hikers like myself. There has got to be something out there that works and I'd love to hear about them. I'm hoping there are option available for purchase and that I don't have to make something myself (although the thought of it is becoming more enticing).

Thanks and happy trails,
    BAontheTrail

I'm 6'2" and prefer a tarp over a tent for many reasons. Touching the tent walls is one of them. However, I've heard nothing but good things about the LightHeart Gear Solong 6 tent. It's made specifically for taller hikers up to 6'8".

https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

You don't need to get anything custom. Stock options are available. Actually, plenty, and all dont have to be at my price pt options with the features I like.

Close. I'm 6'4" 1/2 in the morning, 6'4'' after I release all that hot air, I fit nicely in a MLD SolomidXL, MLD DuoMid(spacious for winter hiking with extra winter gear, wet stuff, and a dog(dog is usually wet too)), Locus Gear Khafra or Tarptent Aeon LI with either a 6'6 quilt or bag not touching the interior walls. What helps are slight pitch differences, steeper walls, using all the guy outs, and DCF that doesn't sag as much although they may not be your absolute requirements.

Also A frame cat cut DCF tarp often without any beak extensions or severe front pointing. I get a length, which sometimes means custom, that provides greater coverage if anticipating very inclement weather without always having to also use a WR bivy, about 115-122' ridge lines. A 9 ft(118") stock ridge usually suffices as enough length coverage, after some tarping experience more so, other than maybe in the foulest of wind driven rain and snow. I do a 118' length with a WR bivy in the foulest of wind driven rain and up to mid level winter conditions. If you're heart is set on using an A Frame tarp it's best to notice weather, CS selection, and orientation. I mostly cowboy followed second by tarp. I also tend to want greater widths than minimalist sized solo dimensions both in the front and foot ends, basically a 1.5 p, so I can pitch high for greater headroom, and having enough coverage to unpack an UL kit, usually less than 22 lbs total(MLD Burn or ULA CDT). This can be accomplished by tying out the entry ridge line side higher than a trekking pole to something like a tree or rock face. If I know I'm going to be forest hiking that may mean not needing a dedicated front entry pole saving 1.5-2.5 ozs. When you pitch a higher ridge that may mean needing a wider width to achieve coverage along the side hems. I don't like crawling to get under/out from under an A frame tarp set up, or not be able to sit up, or at least most of the way, being a tall guy. That can get old for a tall guy under foul weather and also if you plan on camping more than being on the move where you might shelter more and want some floor space to spread out! I'm not into suffering because I choose a tarp based on making another stupid light gram weenie decision to save 2-3 ozs on coverage getting too little inclement coverage for my needs. Beware! I also save wt because the extra tarp wt coverage is less wt than adding in a bivy for coverage sake.

Those are some of the things I've come to learn and personally consider.

Lightheart gear solong 6 is made for tall people.
    For double the cost, the new Aeon Li by tarptent is plenty long enough for a 6'5" person - they actually show a 7' tall person in that tent on their website.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    Lightheart gear solong 6 is made for tall people.
    ^ This.

I'm 6'-5" and I use a Solong 6.

Before the Solong I used a MLD DuoMid with an inner net. This was also a great setup, but just a tiny bit short as in I was usually up against the netting on one end, which isn't a big deal because I was still several inches from the DuoMid itself. I have also used a couple Tarptents (original Squall and Double Rainbow), and those were both long enough too.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

6'5" here. I've been very happy with a WarBonnet Blackbird XLC double layer when I'm solo; for hikes with the wife I was looking at the SoLong 6 but pulled the trigger on a used Lightheart Gear Duo because of a good deal. I don't touch either end in the Duo.

I am 6'5" and have been happy with my Tarptent Rainbow.

Lightheart Duo is huge, plenty of room for a tall guy.

Check out the MSR hubba Hubba NX 2-person tent.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Have you simply tried using some light weight 2 person tents along the diagonal?

I'm not 6'5", but I use the NeoAir Xlite Large which is. When I'm camping solo, I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2 as a roomy 1-person tent. I place the sleeping pad on the diagonal and that way I can place gear on both sides within reach (i.e. no gear is stored all the way down at my feet).

If the 6'5" pad can fit in the CS on the diagonal, you might too. It's just a question of whether or not the walls are steep enough at the foot box that your feet don't touch the tent wall (I think it's steep enough at the head to not be an issue).

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    I'm 6'2" and prefer a tarp over a tent for many reasons. Touching the tent walls is one of them. However, I've heard nothing but good things about the LightHeart Gear Solong 6 tent. It's made specifically for taller hikers up to 6'8".

https://lightheartgear.com/products/lightheart-solong-6
    I have found Judy, the owner of Lightheart Gear, to be extremely helpful, too. She is a member of Whiteblaze. Also, I believe items are made in North Carolina.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I have found Judy, the owner of Lightheart Gear, to be extremely helpful, too. She is a member of Whiteblaze. Also, I believe items are made in North Carolina.
    Yup, everything is made in our brand new factory, just south of Asheville - We're finally planning our 'grand opening/open house for April 30th - noon - 3 pm - public is welcome to come see us!
    Judy

Images

I am 6'5" and I have the Lightheart SoLong 6. The only issues I have is that I have a sleep pad (Big Agnes Q Core SLX) that is just over 3" thick. This places my face a little closer to the top part of the tent body. The only time that it has been an issue is when it is below freezing outside and the condensation freezes a few inches from your face. If you happen to raise up without thinking you can get a face full of ice. To prevent this I put my backpack on its side on the end above my head to create more clearance. I still have plenty of room for my long pad.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Yes, Judy is awesome. I met her in 2014 (I think it was) on the trail in NH, and got to see her Solong in action. That and the envy of seeing my hiking buddy using one is what eventually lead to me buying one. I had a minor issue with mine and the customer service was excellent. They have a process for sending it in for repair, and I think it was less then 2 weeks from when I mailed it to when I had it back fixed.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    Yes, Judy is awesome. I met her in 2014 (I think it was) on the trail in NH, and got to see her Solong in action. .
    . Ha ha, I bet if you met me in NH you heard some pretty foul language spewing from my mouth! The White mountains and I don't get along! I bailed twice while in NH!

++ New Posts ++