WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

[QUOTE=OwenM;2240876]In that case, you wouldn't need toilet paper, either, at least after the first day or so.
    That's a Win/Win[/QUOTE
    Correct. An extra benefit I did not think of....

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    So many post and articles I read are about all the crap you should be taking out of your pack to pursue that ever lighter pack. What is the one Luxury Item you carry in your pack? The item that others would say you're crazy for carrying but it makes you comfortable, happy, or somehow able to justify the weight.
    A toothpick. It keeps me up at night thinking about how to justify the weight.

A luxury item does not need to be defined as an item that increases wt. If I'm sincere my UL kits can have many lighter wt luxury(extravagant, opulent, lavish, expensive, sumptuous, more comfortable) items - lighter wt DCF or Dyneema verse silny or canvas, Carbon Fiber poles verse Al, steel, fiberglass ones, Ti pots and Ti foldable spoons verse Al or stainless steel or a DQ spoon, down verse synthetic bags/quilts(and highest end lighter wt down and synthetic luxury(more expensive) gear,

Journal Entries

Stove
    Inflatable pad
    Bug net
    Phone/camera/battery
    Watch
    Framed pack

The time needed for the adventure. Doesn't take a lot of space, but weighs differently for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Furlough View Post
    I do too. Integrated into my Victorinox Classic SD pocket knife. Not a luxury item to me. In one form or another, I've carried a pocket knife most of my life.
    In that case I am carrying TWO pairs of scissors.I have never used the one on the Victorinox because they are so small and don't look like they would last long to me anyways.................

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    In that case I am carrying TWO pairs of scissors.I have never used the one on the Victorinox because they are so small and don't look like they would last long to me anyways.................
    The scissors on the smallest Victorinox are actually very sturdy. Remarkable so!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Trek View Post
    Correct. An extra benefit I did not think of....
    And now you don't need a special little throw bag thingy to get your bear bag's cord over a limb, either.
    The savings just keep adding up!
    You should probably still get a gram counter's wallet, though. In cuben, of course. It's the right thing to do..the UL thing. You'll never win the internet without it.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
    And now you don't need a special little throw bag thingy to get your bear bag's cord over a limb, either.
    The savings just keep adding up!
    You should probably still get a gram counter's wallet, though. In cuben, of course. It's the right thing to do..the UL thing. You'll never win the internet without it.
    Eagerly awaiting 2020 when the UL version of those damn heavy toothpicks arrive.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyslayer View Post
    ...For me it may be a Kilt - When I was bicycle camping I would carry a kilt. Nothing felt better than finishing a hard day's ride and being able to put my kilt on and let everything air out. I am certainly going to consider packing my SportKilt hiking kilt for a hot summer hike.
    On well-maintained trails I always hike in a kilt whenever daytime temps are 40F or above. Doesn't work on the trails I've been doing recently (GET, HAyduke) since many sections of those are bushwhacked routes.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

A book and a spare headlight wouldn't really rate as "you're crazy" items, but I do carry a DPS (Dave Protection System) also known as a small firearm, which is a pound of what I now realize is mostly unnecessary weight, which I do keep out of sight so as not to make other hikers uncomfortable.

Images

I often pack a pair of binoculars (8x20 Leica Ultravid's), and a lightweight, four piece spinning rod setup for highcountry trout.

Beyond that, I always pack an inflatable pillow, air mattress, and bring a small CC sitting pad.

My knitting bag or a drop spindle and wool accompanies me on every trip.

I always carry an extra lighter. I can endure a lot of discomfort on the trail, but if I can't get a hot meal at the end of it then I'd seriously consider just lying in the dirt and letting nature take its course.

I'm about to start a long section hike with 20 extra pounds around my middle, from overly luxurious eating this winter. Maybe not crazy, but certainly not wise.

My back's been bothering me, and being able to sit with my upper body supported and put my feet up(someone left a folding chair at a campsite I used a couple days ago) gives a lot of relief.
    I laughed at myself the next night after choosing a campsite and deciding to have a fire again. My pack is so light I didn't even think to take it off before gathering wood. So I've about decided to get a chair. A "UL" chair, but...a chair.

Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe a luxury for some but a necessity for me, a spare pair of glasses. I may never need them but if I do I’ll really need them. The frames are titanium, not for UL but for strength, I was the kid who always broke my glasses.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

On our Thru attempt in 14 we carried one of those little battery powered inflators for our Neoairs, and yes we were made fun of from time to time, but how nice it was to busy ourselves with other chores while the pads inflated effortlessly. I never liked the idea of saliva in the pad either so problem solved.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Eagerly awaiting 2020 when the UL version of those damn heavy toothpicks arrive.
    Blade of grass

Let me go

Quote Originally Posted by T.S.Kobzol View Post
    Blade of grass

You have a rosy future in UL.

I love my chair zero - totally worth the 1lb for me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++